Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,516 Posts
Got in a fender bender tonight on a dark road. 2008 GXP with 61k miles
Most insurance companies define "totalled" as repair costs more than 50% of the value of the automobile. It's getting so that our 11 to 15 year old cars are totalled more often than not.

However, "totalled" is negotiable to some degree, depending on the insurance company and how close the repair estimate is to that percentage which is defined in the insurance policy.

Good luck!

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
as long as the frame is not bent, this car should not be 'totaled'. But you will have to find parts...

·
Super Moderator
16,445 Posts
This is a good example of why agreed value insurance is a great idea if you plan on keeping your car. Many insurance companies offer it and frequently it is the same cost as normal insurance

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
As mentioned above it depends on your insurance carrier and policy and the problem we run into a lot of times is that they feel that our cars are not worth what we think they are .Rob makes a good point as far as an agreed value the reality is you have a limited production 12 year old car that some parts will be hard to locate .From the looks of it on the surface you will need a hood although they should be able to repair yours ,bumper cover ,fender liner , fog light housing , and possible bracing ,front end alignment plus labor and paint .you don't need to look for parts that's the body shop's job . If you really like the car and they declare it totalled you should have the option of purchasing it back from the insurance company and repairing it yourself the only issue here is that it probably will have a salvage or rebuilt title which will affect the sale if you ever go to sell it in the future .

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Sorry to see this to any solstice .Can't add much more to what the above members have said . Good luck with this Rosa.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Just went thru this with Progressive. Less damage to our Sky, and because the hood was close to 1700 the car was going to be totaled. Worked out a deal and saved the car. These cars according to the insurance companies are worthless, no matter the condition. Ours did not have a scratch, dent, door ding. New tires, new brakes, car had just been serviced. Car looked very close to new. But it is old. The states don't want them on the road, well especially the state of California. If we did agree to the max amount and then pay the rest our selves it was going to be totaled. I didn't want to be responsible for doing away with another Kappa.

Your insurance company will likely call it a total. Hood, front bumper and possibly the head light. Possible door damage from the hood sliding back into the front of the door? Fender damage? And a repaint/blend of hood and bumper. My guess the damage is well over 4K by the time it is all done with.

Good luck Rosa

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just went thru this with Progressive. Less damage to our Sky, and because the hood was close to 1700 the car was going to be totaled. Worked out a deal and saved the car. These cars according to the insurance companies are worthless, no matter the condition. Ours did not have a scratch, dent, door ding. New tires, new brakes, car had just been serviced. Car looked very close to new. But it is old. The states don't want them on the road, well especially the state of California. If we did agree to the max amount and then pay the rest our selves it was going to be totaled. I didn't want to be responsible for doing away with another Kappa.

Your insurance company will likely call it a total. Hood, front bumper and possibly the head light. Possible door damage from the hood sliding back into the front of the door? Fender damage? And a repaint/blend of hood and bumper. My guess the damage is well over 4K by the time it is all done with.

Good luck Rosa

Agreed. If it was mine, I’d do everything I could to save it.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Good luck with your car. Unfortunately they are totaling our cars with very little damage. Buy it back and have it repaired!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
My insurance company called mine a total loss after a bad hail storm in 2019. They gave me two options ... surrender it for the full amount, or accept a lesser amount and keep it. Heck yeah, I kept it! Found a replacement hood and trunk (trunk was perfect match ... had to paint the hood). Then got a paintless dent repair guy to do the rest. Use some of the settlement to buy lots of parts from DDM and still had money left over.

The larger settlement (surrendering the car) was more than I had paid for it just months before, so I was very tempted to let them have it. Glad I kept it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
@RosaSolstice

I just sent you a PM. I will walk you through the entire claims process. I should be able to get you between $15,000 and $20,000 for the car.

The damage to your vehicle is going to be estimated at between 5 and 6 grand to repair but because parts are hard to locate they will total it.

Insurance companies must total a vehicle based on KBB value, they have to pay you fair market value. With the Solstice these 2 numbers are radically different.

KBB values your vehicle at around $10,000. most states total a vehicle when the repairs come to 2/3 -3/4 of the KBB value. so you are on the fence with the repairs. couple that with the difficulty of locating the parts and it will be a total loss.

Today is your lucky day....
I have a hood, bumper cover, fog/turn lights, trim for the bumper, air dam/plastics under the front of the car.
I also have an intercooler and charge piping if the bumper got pushed over enough to bend these items.

Both the hood and the bumper cover have clear bras on them. so no pitting from rocks. The bumper cover does have some scratching on the underside from the occasional scraping but nothing that cannot be sanded out.

You should be able to buy the vehicle back from the insurance company for $4,000 at most. they will take this right off the money they are going to pay you. The insurance company is going to try to give you KBB value for the car DO NOT ACCEPT THIS!

I have a response letter to the insurance company already drafted. Changes are going to need to be made to it for your insurance company but I will guarantee that after it is sent you will see the offered dollar amount go up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got in a fender bender tonight on a dark road. 2008 GXP with 61k miles View attachment 110097
Rosa, so sorry about your car. Hope u can get to fixer up. I have restored a couple of cars and it looks fixable. My GXP has had the front clip replaced by previous (and original) owner and looks like new.
Wanted to pass along that, before I bought mine last March, I called my Collector Car Ins. I have a couple of collectable cars and I use Hagerty Ins. for those. Just wanted to see what they would say. Mine is an 09 so didn't think it could be insured with them. To my surprise it came back as collectable in their database.
With Hagerty you come to an agreed upon value between you and them. I have mine set at $10K. If the car can't be saved you get the agreed upon value. No book values are used. In my case I would get $10K. The premium is lower than I could get elsewhere.
Unfortunely this is not for daily drivers. Just low miles a year and you must own a daily driver that's insured with any ins. co.
Don't know your situation but hope this may be useful to some folks on this forum.
AZ Steve

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Sorry, but I completely disagree here.

You asked for opinions...heres mine....yes...totaled. Your insurance company is going to tell you that your car is worth $5k...at MOST. You have about $3k-$4k in damage. Insurance and car dealerships have zero clue what these cars are worth and will use KBB or the Black Book to value it. DO NOT take their offer if it's not what you think is fair. There is no way you will get more then $9 or $10k for this car...tops. Unless you had it insured (like many of us do) for an agreed value there is no way you'll get more then $10k for it...tops. Honestly I'm thinking $5-$6k. I have mine with an agreed value of $15k (I upped it this last summer after I got wheels and tires and a new stereo).

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Duplicate...darn non-deleting posts!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
@The_Ghost

Your statement is incorrect. I had StateFarm insurance on my Solstice (and still do currently) when it was totaled. I had/have your run of the mill vehicle insurance with a 1000 deduct for collision and 1000 for comp, nothing special in any way. They paid out 18,780 for my 08 Manual GXP that had 57,000 miles on it.

Here are the 2 payments I received from them. You add in the 1000.00 deduct and also the 4500ish i paid to buy the vehicle back. that comes out to 18780.

Auto insurance companies MUST pay you the amount of money it would cost to replace the vehicle. the Solstice has a higher fair market value then what the KBB value is listed for the car. That doesn't stop the insurance company from trying to only give you KBB value. You have to object to it. I would be surprised if they don't total the vehicle because of the lack of parts being available. If they do total the vehicle they are going to offer somewhere around $10,000. This is a low ball figure, and it should not be accepted. Insurance companies are also supposed to pay for sales tax (where applicable) and also registration/title fees on top of the totaled value.

@AZ Steve
May I inquire as to what you pay per year for insurance on your Solstice?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Got in a fender bender tonight on a dark road. 2008 GXP with 61k miles View attachment 110097
In many states there are Private Adjustors. This is like a Realtor. You hire them to handle the claim for a fee you negotiate between 2-10%. They know the ins and outs and are well worth the price. FYI a “Public Adjuster” works only for insurance companies, a Private Adjuster works for you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is heartbreaking. I am so sorry that happened. I am glad you are safe but poor Solstice : /
I hope it all works out

·
Registered
455 Posts
@Flason

Hiring a "private" adjuster is not hiring an adjuster at all. It is hiring someone to put a value on your vehicle. This process typically happens at the step right before the claimant bringing the insurance company to court, it is called arbitration. Even tho you have paid someone to do a fair market value assessment on your vehicle does not mean that the insurance company is going to pay.

The trick in dealing with an insurance company in a total loss scenario is you need to know what the laws are in your state. and you also need to know what you are and are not allowed to do.

You (the owner) are allowed to repair the vehicle yourself. and you get paid the exact same amount of money that the insurance company would pay a body shop to do the work. Now the insurance company is not going to make this process easy and every "i" has to be dotted and every "t" has to be crossed. Insurance companies like to pull the whole low ball trick. This is where they will low ball an estimate stating that they need to get the vehicle into the body shop in order to estimate the damages. they claim because they do not know what else could be damaged. This is a BS trick to get proplr that only want the cash to take the smaller amount. If your vehicle goes into that body shop to get dismantled do not expect to get your car back assembled if you decide at that point to take the money and not have the car repaired, there will also be missing pieces to your vehicle as well.

This is why I stress if there is a disagreement to never bring it into a body shop to have work performed.

When dealing with my friends claim on his car they stated that they need to have more of the car dissembled in order to give a better estimate. I said OK let me know what day works for you and I will have the vehicle disassembled by then. they set a date some 3 weeks out.. really????!?!?!? Then we still had to bring the vehicle to a body shop for them to look at the thing. The adjuster told us that they would be there at 12:30. I told my friend that we would be getting the car there at 7:30 AM.. well guess what.. low and behold at almost 8:00 am the adjuster shows up.. They were surprised to see that we were there. This was a tactic to push back having them look at the car even further. They would have stated that they went to the shop but the car wasn't there...

The above is an example of what is illegal to do in most states. It is an unfair and deceptive practice. the more laws they break (and they all do try to break the laws) is the more ammo you have. when you have enough ammo you speak to a supervisor and tell them the laws that are being broken. You want to have proof of this, best way is via an e-mail from them.

All insurance companies use the same "how to screw the claimant" handbook. and I swear there is a handbook, the process is almost identical for all insurance companies. Most insurance companies use a company called CCC (cheapskates, crooks and criminals) to put a value on your vehicle. This company sets aside 1/3rd of it total annual revenue for being sued. Now what kind of a company does this??? One that is ripping people off.

An insurance company does not want to go to court. There is always a chance they will loose. If they loose that just opened the flood gates for other lawsuits. they will do anything to not let this happen. You have to be diligent and hold your ground right up to the court date. then you will get an offer that is usually what you want.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts