Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
@RosaSolstice

I just sent you a PM. I will walk you through the entire claims process. I should be able to get you between $15,000 and $20,000 for the car.

The damage to your vehicle is going to be estimated at between 5 and 6 grand to repair but because parts are hard to locate they will total it.

Insurance companies must total a vehicle based on KBB value, they have to pay you fair market value. With the Solstice these 2 numbers are radically different.

KBB values your vehicle at around $10,000. most states total a vehicle when the repairs come to 2/3 -3/4 of the KBB value. so you are on the fence with the repairs. couple that with the difficulty of locating the parts and it will be a total loss.

Today is your lucky day....
I have a hood, bumper cover, fog/turn lights, trim for the bumper, air dam/plastics under the front of the car.
I also have an intercooler and charge piping if the bumper got pushed over enough to bend these items.

Both the hood and the bumper cover have clear bras on them. so no pitting from rocks. The bumper cover does have some scratching on the underside from the occasional scraping but nothing that cannot be sanded out.

You should be able to buy the vehicle back from the insurance company for $4,000 at most. they will take this right off the money they are going to pay you. The insurance company is going to try to give you KBB value for the car DO NOT ACCEPT THIS!

I have a response letter to the insurance company already drafted. Changes are going to need to be made to it for your insurance company but I will guarantee that after it is sent you will see the offered dollar amount go up.
Wish you'd been here May 2019 when I got kissed by a Hazmat Tanker. A light but cosmetically challenging kiss. Repaired at 90-95% but I'm still working with getting adjustments correct in the fit of the trunk, top, driver's door and window and tulip panel. Thing is I love the little car and it is a keeper, 2007 GXP. The estimate was to the point that if I'd pushed the rubbed rear rim being replaced it would have totaled. Really good body shop was hesitant to do the work as I knew too much about the car. Gave them an adjustment and assembly manual plus GM plant production photos for reference and sourced the GM parts locally through the parts guy I know at the former Pontiac dealership. Could have been worse...both the car and I survived.

Your offer of parts to Rosa is very tempting, especially the front fshia.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
389 Posts
@kgschlosser I've having a really had time following your math...

If I'm understanding correctly, they offered an initial payout of $8,985, and you then negotiated an additional $4,295 out of them for a total of $13,280. You then bought the car back for ~$4,500. That makes their payout on the car only $8,780, not $18,780, making everything fall quite nicely in line with what Ghost and the rest of the world else would expect.

·
Registered
462 Posts
@phil1734

OK I found a more detailed payout letter. This one has exact numbers.

The mileage on the car seen above was at the time the accident took place. the mileage on the car when the claim was finally settled on 2 years later was 57,000.

The body shop estimate to replace the drivers door and the hood along with painting was $7,000.00. This estimate was done by one of their preferred shops. The reason why they totaled it was the inability to get parts. Insurance companies have a list of suppliers for used parts, LKQ is the go to company. If the parts are not available with any of the companies in their list they will total the vehicle.

My point to this is that this is a run of the mill insurance without any special terms stating the value of the vehicle. It states in the latter above that the value of the vehicle had to be determined. @The_Ghost 's comment about not getting anything above 6 grand unless you have special insurance is a false statement. You can see in the letter above that the total claim settlement is 18,490.91. Now remember the mileage discrepancy, that dollar amount is aligned with the mileage on the vehicle at the time the total loss was declared. This was on May 15th 2020, the vehicle mileage was just over 57,000 This can be seen on the estimate the body shop gave for repair.

·
Registered
462 Posts
@4501 Safari

I only just joined this forum a few months back but I have owned my Solstice for close to 7 years. I have worked with insurance companies for close to 20 years, specifically the claims side of things. I have handled quite a few of my friends insurance claims and was successful at getting a proper market value for a vehicle.

I wrote a piece of software where I plug in mileages and asking prices for vehicles and then plug in the mileage of the total loss vehicle and it spits out a fair market value. There is a forum thread where I was providing values for peoples vehicles.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Say what you want about my statement, but mine is based on reality and not fantasy. You're giving false hope to the OP. Not too mention it took you 2 years to get this money!!! And we won't even talk about the people that are coming on here and asking for a true expected price for selling their cars.

Insurance companies DO NOT have to pay you replacement value. The only thing close to replacement value is Agreed Value. Please quit giving these people a false sense of hope!!! If they do have to give you "what it costs to replace your car", then why when people total a 1 week old car won't the insurance company buy them a brand new car????????

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting read, my only comment is that 5 weeks ago I picked up a 06 Base w/ 14K miles in pristine condition and only paid $9900 and that was at a dealership.

Not sure how anybody is going to expect an insurance company to pay more than retail for a totaled vehicle. If they are being totaled, someone has these cars and parts can be obtained!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
In my state if you dispute the value of the car by the insurance company they call in and independent third party to value the car. I got rear ended last summer in my Ford. Repairs were estimated at a little over $8K. KBB was like $12K. I have about $27K in mods and parts. They ended up fixing the car.

·
Registered
462 Posts
@marq

I would say that at 9,900 for your vehicle you got one hell of a deal on it. Here are a few postings of 06 base models that have close to the same mileage as yours and they are ranging from 13,000 to 19,000.

·
Registered
389 Posts
@kgschlosser that's quite impressive that you managed to convince them that your car was worth $17k, but you do have to consider that it was evaluated as so more than two years ago and still under the 50,000 mile mark (for some reason, the market values a car with 49,900 miles far more than one with 50,025, the same way people will balk at a $2 soda but happily pay $1.98.) At two years in litigation they probably just wanted to be done with it.

Still, of the $17k value, they only paid out $13k. Really not all that crazy of a sum for your car at the time. The buy-back price is irrelevant to their bottom line since they're either getting a lump sum cash or the collateral which they will auction.

With that said, I do know someone who had a Miata totaled in college. This and that happened and some paperwork got lost etc, etc, and for some reason the insurance company wasn't able to assign a value to the car based on information they had available, so they had to assign it the maximum reasonable value for that car. That meant they appraised it as a fully loaded, pristine condition model rather than the ragged base model it was - it'd be analogous to someone with a base '06 solstice, getting paid out the price of a similar mileage GXP coupe. Needless to say he got a lot more from the insurance company than he had bought it for. Certainly this was a very rare occurrence, but strange things do happen.

·
Registered
462 Posts
@phil1734
I didn't convince anyone. all I did was tell them the mistakes they made with the options and provided listings for vehicles that were for sale. An Insurance company is not going to pay one penny above what a car is actually worth. @AZ Steve mentioned Hagery as an insurance company. as it so happens this company has correct valuations for our vehicles.

I Probably didn't get enough money because my vehicle fell between Concours and Excellent. You couldn't have found a grain of sand in my carpet. there is no broken stitching in any of the embroidery, no scratches dings or dents in the vehicle what's so ever.

It just seems to me like insurance companies get over on a whole lot of folks and making statements that I am giving false hope does not help people when they are getting ripped off by their insurance companies.

Nothing was in litigation, I had lost a family member and I underwent surgery, between the 2 things a year and a few months had passed. Then COVID-19 happened.. This is the only reason why it took 2 years. There was never an attorney involved, there was no arbitration, no court at all.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
If you have the time to fight the insurance company, you can do okay. Especially if it is your insurance. I should have turned mine into my insurance.
The funny part about this stuff, the insurance company says it is worth X number of dollars, but when you go to the salvage yard they sell for more than they offer you. Body shops are crooks, and I have friends that own shops. I hear the stories how they get over on the insurance company.

Either way the moral of the story is to be extra careful with your car.

·
Registered
462 Posts
@skersfan

I was minding my own business going 50 down the local "highway" (2 lanes each direction) and a Full rack male Elk decided it wanted to go for a ride with me. He hit the drivers side of the car right at the B pillar area running at full speed. it put the car onto 2 wheels.

I am still hunting for a body shop to paint my car. I have yet to find one where the person doing the work takes pride in what they do. when I walk the parking lot and look at vehicles that have just been finished I find all kinds of problems in the paint. Now I know it won't be 100% perfect but runs in the paint, and orange peel when the factory paint doesn't have orange peel, or sanding marks showing through the paint.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I've been following this thread from the beginning with great amusement look not knocking the OP but how many people come on this site looking for an answer that's not in reality . How can you tell if a car is totalled ,what's it worth if I go to sell it etc. without seeing the car in person and have some knowledge in these fields . I applaud kgschlosser for getting the max on his insurance claim but how many people are going to go through what he did ? As I mentioned earlier I have lifelong friends in the business who I discussed this with and the biggest issue which was not mentioned here is who the car was insured with and what type of coverage did the person have . I have State Farm and as far as car insurance goes they are one of the better companies . When I finished the Chevelle and looked for stated value coverage I was looking at 40 to 50 grand after submitting documentation and pictures of the build they came back with a 65 grand evaluation ,the Solstice came back at 20 grand again with documentation and a ton of pictures .There are companies out there like the General or Geico who if you get into an accident good luck with your claim and chances are they have no idea of the worth of an enthusiasts car that's where the adjuster comes into play .I cannot stress this enough go over your coverage and the limitations and if you don't think it's enough there are insurance companies out there who specialize in collector ,classical and enthusiasts cars because the reality is the Solstice like the Fiero is an enthusiast car not a collector .

·
Registered
462 Posts
@Sting Ya

You are 100% correct. and I agree with you totally. My advice is to never take the first offer, it is not a statement of this is what you are going to get. It is a negotiation process and having knowledge is always going to be in your favor. So knowing what I was paid on my vehicle gives you an idea of actual value. You can determine if you are being low balled because of that payout. I know that different vehicles are going to be rated differently on how they drive, their appearance.. etc.. How anyone values a vehicle is they will visually inspect it and usually drive the vehicle. These are 2 things that an insurance company hires to do an inspection does not do. they also do not visually inspect or operate any of the comparison vehicles.

State Farm is just as crooked as the next insurance company. Their first valuation was around 8,000.00. I wonder how many people just accept the first offer??? A large number of them I am sure. I didn't have any kind of a fight with them. I typed up a really long e-mail that included a complete list of the options for the cars. I listed the options that my vehicle has, I then explained why the comparison vehicles they provided could not be used. two of the comparison vehicles there were no ads for and the state they said the vehicles were located was not the correct state . Another one had the vehicle listed has having side curtain airbags, another had been modified (not OE wheels) I discredited every single one of their comparison vehicles. I then provided links, photos and information about 5 vehicles that were the same year, make, model, trim and color.

Just for sake of showing some mind numbing numbers, I included the production information about the Solstices, Number of them made, number of them made in 2008, number of them in 2008 that were GXP's and then the total number of them made that were painted yellow and had a manual transmission. I stated in the e-mail that in 2008 there were 350 Yellow Pontiac Solstices made that were a GXP and had a manual transmission, I took 1/3 of that away due to losses over the last 12 years. and said with only about 250 left this is approaching rare territory. This is a way of justifying why the fair market value is so much higher then KBB. This is the only kind of "convincing" that I added.

It took 2 days before they responded to the e-mail. when they did i got a phone call.. The adjuster on the phone said that he had just finished up going over my e-mail, he said it took a few hours.. I then asked "Do you have any questions?".. This is important because if there are questions then there will be a disagreement. he said "Not one, I know more about your vehicle then I know about any other car" he then said "You are 100% correct about that valuation that was done by xyz company. It is horribly incorrect" This was my only goal, I wanted to make sure that valuation was tossed in the trash and none if it would get used. I was not expecting them to have a new offer at that time. I had a couple of add-ons that could have been paid out on as well, clear bra, window tints and new tires. He asked for receipts on this.. I have them somewhere but I didn't want to go digging for them. so I asked.. where are we at now??, when he told me that figure I said get it done payout the claim.. Not going to risk getting into a bumping heads match when the offer jumped by 10 grand. How's that song go by Kenny Rogers?? "You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away and know when to run."

Knowledge is what is going to help you in these situations, the more you have the better the outcome is going to be. unless you have a stated value insurance policy never accept the first offer unless by some act of god they give you one that is really high for what you should be getting. The only way to know what you should be getting is to do the homework.

The valuations I was providing in the other thread are under the understanding the vehicle is in excellent condition, it is also fair market value, an averaged number base on dealership selling price. It is not the price you would get if you trade the vehicle in or sell it privately. It provides a ballpark for what the car is worth.

The end result is this. If the bulk of the people that are wanting to sell their Kappa list them for more money guess what happens? fair market value goes up. If those same people have it in their minds that the cars aren't worth anything and they sell them for cheap guess what happens?, fair market value is going to be in the crapper.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I think another factor that plays into this as far as I'm concerned is the relationship you have with your agent . As I mentioned I have State Farm who also insures my home .I have 2 vehicles a truck and van that I only use on an as needed basis they have storage insurance on them . If I need to use them I call my agent and if it's only for a day or two they are covered with no charges any longer and it goes on a month to month basis which saves me money . I talked to my agent yesterday and he mentioned that they are going to look at my policies for the Chevelle and Solstice to see if anything needs to be upgraded my point is my agent works with me .

21 - 37 of 37 Posts