Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get the camshaft error, but only after I unscrew my gas cap. Each time the CEL comes on, I reset it by disconnecting the neg. batt. terminal. The light stays off until the next time I open the gas tank. Doesn't matter if I've run a whole tank or 1/4 tank - within 10 minutes of opening the cap, the light comes back on and when checked, says camshaft error.

I tried cleaning the gas cap, washed it out with clean gas, got all the dirt out, put it back on, and 10 minutes later, got the CEL again. The ride is fine. It's hard to believe its a camshaft error. 80K miles, smooth ride and engine tone. I only use 91 octane, no ethanol.

Is there a gas line sensor or cap sensor I need to clean? Am I right in my thinking so far? What can I check? Thank you-

-Reino

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
There is no logical reason to connect a P0011 code to your gas cap. I would follow the troubleshooting for the P0011 and check the camshaft sensor and actuator solenoid as well as your oil level and quality.

The gas cap seal is checked when the car applies vacuum to the tank. In my experience an open gas cap usually results in trouble code P0455, but sometimes others.

You could try leaving the gas cap loose to see what error shows up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you - I will check those next. Is it odd to anyone that removing the cap seems to trigger the code?

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Yes. It seems very odd.

I am curious about exactly what you do. Are you removing the cap with the engine running ? Are you filling the tank while it is off ? Are you sure that the CEL is always for the same code ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had the code checked 3 times and it always comes up camshaft timing. Here's what I do: I fill the tank after work with the engine off. 91 octane. Drive 50 miles home - the light comes on early into my trip. I remove the neg batt terminal for 45 minutes to reset the CEL light. I drive 350 miles, a full tank, no light. Stop to fill up, and 10 minutes down the road the light comes on.
With a full tank, I've reset the code, then drove only 1/4 tank, shut the car off, and opened and replaced the gas cap for just a few seconds. Next trip out, CEL comes on within 10 minutes.
It seems that whenever I open that gas cap, the CEl light will come on within 10 miles. If I don't open it, the light won't come on.
If the cam shaft timing was truly out of whack, the CEL should come on consistantly every time I start the car, regardless of the gas tank. Gas tank level is not an issue. I've opened the cap at empty, 1/2 and 1/4 with the same results.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Maybe you have a ghost.

Any code associated with the gas cap would be evapoartive emissions, and all of the evaporaive emissions related codes are P04xx.

I would work as if I had a P0011 caused by an actual camshaft or camshaft position sensor problem, and ignore the relationship with the gas cap for now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is weird. I've had this error 3 times in the 4 months I've owned my car. Twice it has shown up after filling up when the tank was very,very low. No reset was needed, after driving, the car sat for about 12 hours and was not displayed the next day.

Bob

·
Registered
281 Posts
IIRC P0011 is a type B code meaning it takes 2 trips to set the CEL. I bet you already had a P0011 from the first trip.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Working from memory (bad idea, I know) I think that the code sets immediately if the cam position is wrong by a specified amount for a specified length of time. The reset can be automatic, and I think that happens the second drive cycle after no error occurs.

Mine has set and self-reset several times. It mainly seems to set during a hard run with a lot of downshfting, and resets during or after the cruise home.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I had this code and it really was my camshaft actuator. The timing was really messed up and I noticed the car would go into safe mode. I would have the code reset and it would come back on within minutes to an hour of driving.

Anyway, if you need to replace the actuator on the exhaust side, it's $50 from the dealer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Working from memory (bad idea, I know) I think that the code sets immediately if the cam position is wrong by a specified amount for a specified length of time. The reset can be automatic, and I think that happens the second drive cycle after no error occurs.

Mine has set and self-reset several times. It mainly seems to set during a hard run with a lot of downshfting, and resets during or after the cruise home.
The code is set as you describe, but the CEL won't come on until you have two bad trips.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
info2x : The code is set as you describe, but the CEL won't come on until you have two bad trips.
Actually two consecutive "bad trips".

If during a drive cycle the camshaft position error is six degrees for 13.5 seconds, a pending code will be set. If the error also occurs during the next drive cycle it will set the code and light the CEL. If the error does not occur during the next drive cycle the pending code will be erased. The service manual doesn't specify whether it takes one or two drive cycles without the error to erase the code and extinguish the CEL. My thought is that it is only one, but I will check the whole sequence on our next run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a P0011 CEL code popping up at random times while the car is running just fine. Could be at start up or it pops up after about a 30min trip. & Oddly enough what the OP is experiencing seems the same for me. Whenever I get the code I undo & redo my Gas Cap & in most cases the CEL pops off after my car runs a check. Today I noticed the Rubber Gasket in my Gas Cap is cracked all the way around so I stuffed tissue in there and put the Cap back on and Crank the starter on and off 3 times then turn the car on & the CEL pops off right away.. I'm so confused. I have warranty on my car but I don't have time or resources to lose my car for a week without them Guaranteeing me a rental from the manufacturer.

·
Administrator
9,254 Posts
I also have a P0011 CEL code popping up at random times while the car is running just fine. Could be at start up or it pops up after about a 30min trip. & Oddly enough what the OP is experiencing seems the same for me. Whenever I get the code I undo & redo my Gas Cap & in most cases the CEL pops off after my car runs a check. Today I noticed the Rubber Gasket in my Gas Cap is cracked all the way around so I stuffed tissue in there and put the Cap back on and Crank the starter on and off 3 times then turn the car on & the CEL pops off right away.. I'm so confused. I have warranty on my car but I don't have time or resources to lose my car for a week without them Guaranteeing me a rental from the manufacturer.
Cheapest test would be to purchase a new gas cap since you say the gasket is cracked.

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
656 Posts
yes you need the gascap fixed. if that fixes it your good to go. if not get a set of new accuator silly noids and put them in, ver eazy to do. it really woke my car up, from the 100 hp to the factory 135 hp!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts