Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my front bumper cover off to replace the arrowhead and decided to fix rock chips and paint it. Happy with that but while I had it off I painted the front grills silver and decided to remount the plate holder lower which I like but someone said "Now it's blocking air flow to the IC". Is that a valid concern? Anyone have problems with mounting the plate too low?
front plate.jpg

·
Registered
204 Posts
Plate?!?!??! OMG that is a sin to attach that thing to the front of the Solstice!. I used a piece of foam weatherstripping along the top edge of the plate and slid the plate down between the dash and the windshield on the passenger side of the car.

The police have better things to do instead of busting peoples balls about where their license plate is mounted. And frankly If I got pulled over because of my license plate location that is pretty much what I would say to the officer too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So now you see the plate all the time while you are driving? Here in BC a license plate mounted inside on the dash is a no-no according to these uptight laws. just sayin.

·
Registered
204 Posts
well it's the same thing here as well. and if the plate is all the way over to the A pillar on the passenger side it sits low enough and doesn't obstruct much of your view. I don't even notice mine is there anymore. I have had my plate there for 6 years. and when I had my first solstice it was there for 2 years in that car.

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
I recently had my front bumper cover off to replace the arrowhead and decided to fix rock chips and paint it. Happy with that but while I had it off I painted the front grills silver and decided to remount the plate holder lower which I like but someone said "Now it's blocking air flow to the IC". Is that a valid concern? Anyone have problems with mounting the plate too low?
View attachment 109474
Do you have the Torque app, or something that will let you read sensors?

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
someone said "Now it's blocking air flow to the IC". Is that a valid concern?
I saw that other post and the pic from nearer the ground. You are FINE. The bottom of the plate is still higher than the IC grille, and the area of high pressure there would be enough to cool it anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
I think having it behind the windshield stands out more than having it mounted on the grill.

Also . . . I think plates are just as ugly as mirrors. But because they can not be removed no one mentions they are ugly. But as soon as installing aftermarket camera systems is allowed people will start posting about those ugly mirrors :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Cars don't go fast enough to enjoy any ram effect, and the plate being low doesn't seal off airflow. Some guys were worried about airflow to the radiator back in the day. Needless.

Reactions: showtime

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
... Anyone have problems with mounting the plate too low?
that is how my plate looks on my gxp ( not the car in the avitar... )

Reactions: showtime

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
I have the Torque app and a scanner. What am I looking for?
Ambient Air Temperature and Intake Air Temperature. Look at the difference between them. At driving speed, under moderate load, I will normally see a 5-10 degree F differential. If you are disrupting air to the cooler you will see a higher delta.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Don't worry about it. The difference in performance may be fractions of a second and if those fractions mattered you'd take the plate off before you did a pull anyway. In stock configuration (or mildly updated) this vehicle it's extremely hard to stay in high enough boost for long enough time to feel or measure any discernable performance degradation due to airflow restrictions.

·
Registered
2007 GXP
4 Posts
Plate?!?!??! OMG that is a sin to attach that thing to the front of the Solstice!. I used a piece of foam weatherstripping along the top edge of the plate and slid the plate down between the dash and the windshield on the passenger side of the car.

The police have better things to do instead of busting peoples balls about where their license plate is mounted. And frankly If I got pulled over because of my license plate location that is pretty much what I would say to the officer too.
The front plate is mandatory here in Missouri But I've been driving without one for about a year now. Been lucky so far. But then I see lots of Corvettes here in Missouri without front plates also. So glad the cops have better things to do.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Colorado is nice in the way the law is written. It states that the plate must be placed on the front of the vehicle in a visible location and mounted horizontally. It does state that the plate should be displayed in the center of the vehicle. It makes no mention about it having to be attached to the front bumper. It only states the front of the car. It also states the plate must be a minimum of 12" from the ground to the bottom of the plate.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I live in Arizona, no front plate required. But when I live in Colorado, I just used two pieces of 1/4 fuel line about 1 1/2 inches long. I mounted them to the top holes in the plate with regular 1/4 bolts, and then just stick the rubber hoses through the openings in the grills. I removed the plate for car shows, and just left it off. But, if I should get a comment about the missing plate from the police, I just told them that I forgot to put it back on after the last show. I would get it out of the trunk, and stick it in place, and be on my way.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That wouldn't work now. If the plate even so much as wiggles you will get a ticket for not having the plate attached securely. This has happened to a few people I know where the plate had screws in the top but not the bottom. It states in the law that it has to be securely attached.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts