Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!! The Pontiac Solstice will be my next car for sure. Just hope Pontiac doesn't back out and deciedes not to build it. Is it basically a done deal, and we can expect to see the Solstice on the lots in 2005.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well if you go to www.pontiac.com and click "Vehicles Coming Soon" you can view the official Pontiac website for the Solstice. On that page it's listed as a "Upcoming Vehicle" and "Coming Fall 2005." I really don't think they'd print official information unless they were going too. Also they had announced it would go into production a while back too. You can also get information from media.gm.com which is GM's official press center.

http://media.gm.com/events/autoshows/04naias/pontiac/solstice/EN_Pontiac Solstice.htm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whewww. I feel better now. Because I'm in the process of saving saving saving for the Solstice. Also, selling my camaro for a down payment. So, it would be awful for me if Pontiac decides not to build this car.

I CAN'T WAIT TIL IT HITS THE LOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be the first one there......"Where do I sign?........LOL" :lol :thumbs :jester

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM would lose its shirt if they backed out now. The vehicle has basically been completely designed and engineered at this point, with work centering around ride, handling, and I am sure details. Plus they have cancelled Saturn L production early in Deleware and idled the plant and are in the process of re-tooling it for the Solstice as we type. To back out now would cost them hundreds of millions with no way to make up the lost revenue. I am sure at this point they are beyond the point of no return with this car.

Besides, they seem to love it too much. Pontiac shows it off every chance they get, they have featured it on their website, and our man Maximum Bob is behind it 100%! (thats Bob Lutz btw).

Its on its way, and I cannot wait!! :thumbs

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I doubt they'd actually lose their shirt at this point...

The platform is only expected to yield between 20-40 thousand vehicles per year. That's not very much, so engineering and development costs should be proportional. That means they'd lose a lot less than the normal billion-and-a-half it takes to launch a new car like the Cobalt. Probably, if they pulled the plug right now and said f*ckit, redeployed all the engineers working on it, they'd prolly only lose a half "beeeelion" or less.

BUT the black eye they would get would pale in comparison to the financial loss - I daresay nobody would ever take any of GM's niche vehicles seriously again... so in a way they would lose face, rather than their shirts.

If they were trying to get rid of someone, it would be easy to hang the whole thing on them and hope that flushing that person would purge the good name of GM (remember Ron Zarella and 'brand marketing'?).

But, fear not Lola. They WILL build the solstice. I've seen and lost count of the cars I've seen on the road around where I live. There must either be two solstices that they re-paint frequently and change the manufacturer's plate on :lol , or I've counted over nine different Solstices on the road.

A friend of mine says he saw three or four of them (white?) a few weeks ago. I've only seen one white one so far.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am not so sure the development costs are as low as you might think. Sure the Solstice is looking at a 20K unit per year capacity, and probably the same for the Saturn vehicle, but GM was expecting to make a lot more Kappa products off this platform at some point. I am sure the platform would not be cost effective if they only sold 20K-40K indefinitely. Were not talking about re-skinning an already developed delta platform. A lot of work and expense would have to have gone into Kappa. Even to GM’s huge balance sheets, I am sure not selling any Kappa vehicles at this point would leave a very big, ugly red mark they would not be willing to accept.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I agree f88, is they kill Kappa before Solstice launch, and scrub the Solstice, it would be a major money drain, heads would roll, and investor confidence would hit a low. A mistake like this would really damage GM's image. No worry's Lola, they'll build at least the Solstice and Saturn (X?).

·
Registered
281 Posts
AeroDave said:
I agree f88, is they kill Kappa before Solstice launch, and scrub the Solstice, it would be a major money drain, heads would roll, and investor confidence would hit a low.
..and i'd be kidnapping the childeren of executives to get the chance to buy a test mule! thats right, bob, build it or else! :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well I am commited. I have sold My Del Sol and the Pontiac Dealer has my deposit.
I didn't want to pay storage all winter and only be able to drive the Del Sol for a couple of months in the Spring until I get my Solstice in June(I hope).

Attachments

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
Well I am commited. I have sold My Del Sol and the Pontiac Dealer has my deposit.
I didn't want to pay storage all winter and only be able to drive the Del Sol for a couple of months in the Spring until I get my Solstice in June(I hope).
Did you get a good deal from your Pontiac dealer on it? MSRP? $$ off MSRP

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, I'm interested to know too. I'm waiting till the next motor show too see what the Saturn Kappa is going to be, and hopefully some more solid info. If I don't like the Saturn, and the Soltice info is good I'll go pre-order then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts