Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on autoblog.com a headline regarding Pontiac's brand that was on GMinsidenews.

Its at

http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=8331

Here's some highlights:

"Is Pontiac slipping into becoming nothing more than the car equivalent of GMC, a brand full of Chevrolet Truck clones but with the catchy marketing phrases like "Professional Grade" to set it apart? Is Pontiac's "Total Performance" car lineup of tomorrow based on twin-port grilles? Is GM trading real development dollars for 1980's style Badge Engineering?

[It goes on to list each car by Pontiac in terms of what they say for the brand, saying the Torrent and Montana are disembodied clones, but the Solstice...]

Solstice: This car embodies the promises of Pontiac to deliver driving excitement. No, its not a rude, crude, fire-snorting V8 with leaf springs in the rear - but the modern interpretation of a 1960's British Roadster, or a classic Porsche Spyder. It's a driver's car, pure and simple, and one to be enjoyed without the roller coaster rush of a massive engine. It's a different kind of excitement than what the GTO delivers, and rounds out the Pontiac performance portfolio.

If the benefit of picking up a couple of rebadged Chevrolets (Montana, Torrent) is the result of being able to produce the Pontiac Solstice, import the GTO, and put out more "GXP" versions of Pontiacs, is the trade-off worth it?

I would say yes, but only if things are carefully managed with the following:

1. Pontiac cannot give away its Solstice in a mildly repackaged form to Chevy or Saturn within the first 2 years of production. "

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I guess I disagree with this guy. It looks to me like they have finally found a direction for Pontiac where there has not been one in a long time. They are letting them have performance related firsts such as getting exclusive use of some high output engines before other divisions receive them (such as the 5.3L in the Grand Prix, the Northstar in the Bonneville), putting out performance niche vehicles like Solstice and GTO, offering performance models of everyday cars (G6 hardtop convertable and coupe with the 6 speed manual and 3.9L VVT motor!)

A few years ago, Pontiac performance meant either of two things. Buy a Trans Am, or any other car with bodyside cladding. These days it means big horsepower, much more sporty suspension handling packages (GP Comp G package for instance), multiple sports car niche vehicles (Solstice, GTO).

Sure, things like the Torrent, or the Montana minivan, or some ubiquitous commuter version of a sedan will be in the lineup. Sporty car buyers are more of a niche market, and Pontiac does need bread and butter cars for sales volume reasons. However, those sportier versions are better now than they have been in decades. I am not worried where Pontiac is going because they seem to finally be on track, and as these cars start hitting the roads and word gets around, sales will follow suit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fformula88 said:
Sure, things like the Torrent, or the Montana minivan, or some ubiquitous commuter version of a sedan will be in the lineup. Sporty car buyers are more of a niche market, and Pontiac does need bread and butter cars for sales volume reasons. However, those sportier versions are better now than they have been in decades.
Personally, I liked the Torrent,however, although I'm not in the market for a minivan, I don't think keeping the Montana name brings anything spectacular to that vehicle, compared to other minivans... I'd expect this to sell less than imports and those from Chysler.

I like the direction Pontiac is trying to take, but I think it should push this further with its "bread and butter" vehicles. I can see it with the G6, and I'd hope they would be able to do the same with the Torrent. Whatever lower-cost entry level sedan or coupe needs to have a little gusto too.

Now, the part of the editorial about his position on keeping Kappa architecture Solstice-only for a few years, I really don't agree with. I don't think bringing out more Kappas from other divisions will hurt the Solstice's meaning to Pontiac's spirit. Unless every division just gives Solstice a facelift and releases their own version, but hey, that'd be okay by me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally i believe that Pontiac And GM in general are finally getting back into working for the love of the cars. GM has been coming out with some extremelly nice cars that actually inspire the rest of the GM family to actually love the work that they do.

Pontiac is just trying to get back into the market and is heading in the right direction! The release of the GTO was good, but they could of made it look a little less like the Grand Prix; the Solstice would deffinately have to be one of the coolest looking sport convertibles that I have ever seen.

So mad props for GM for creating a new lineup with cars and trucks that are extremelly well built and look bad ass!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts