Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
I think it is standard

Originally the red was listed as a standard color on some other models but the paint samples on the brochures were not good. It is an awesome red on ours. 3 coats of wax and it is outstanding. :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I believe is the same red as the Pontiac Sunfire.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The red, and all the colors are fairly standard colors on lots of GM cars and trucks. You can see most of them at a well stocked Chevrolet dealer. There you will see the blue (Tahoe), green (Trailblazer), red (Cobalt), white (Cobalt), black (Pretty much any black Chevy) and probably silver and grey too. I'm not sure because I wasn't interested in those colors. I was interested in the green, and it was hard to see because I guess green is not such a trendy color anymore, so even though it is available on lots of GM cars, the dealers aren't stocking it. You won't having any trouble finding red though. Every Chevy out this year is available in the same red except the SSR and Aveo IIRC.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yep, once I seen the red, was unable to stop myself from changing it to red from black. Thought I was really going to get a black car this time, but the red is so awesome....could not resist

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
In the end, after I laid Cool and Sly to rest... I was seriously torn between red and black... and as awesome as the red is, since this is my daily driver, I really believed I would get "tired" of a red car, so I chose the black. Now the only thing I will be tired of is cleaning! But man, black looks soooo good when it is clean.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I've gone from black to silver to white, all along wanting red, but knowing from experience that I will grow tired of it. But at this point I would accept any color just to get the car.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
DFincher said:
Its the same red that is on my 05 Silverado. It has been avalible on Siverados since 1989.
My father has the red Silverado, and as mentioned they're the same red color.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Editguy said:
I've gone from black to silver to white, all along wanting red, but knowing from experience that I will grow tired of it. But at this point I would accept any color just to get the car.
All I've ever wanted was a red sports car, but my husband said he would only buy me the Solstice if I got any color OTHER than red. Boo hoo. :(

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
BriBoop said:
All I've ever wanted was a red sports car, but my husband said he would only buy me the Solstice if I got any color OTHER than red. Boo hoo. :(
You should throw a hissy-fit until you get what you want! :lol: But I know what you mean, because my heart has said over and over to get red. But I have a red convertible now, so I know that at some point I would be seeing red! ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Editguy said:
You should throw a hissy-fit until you get what you want! :lol: But I know what you mean, because my heart has said over and over to get red. But I have a red convertible now, so I know that at some point I would be seeing red! ;)
I would have, but I kind of see his point. Besides, I will probably be attracting more attention than I want anyway (here in Shreveport anyway). Sometimes its a good thing to have a low profile. I've already thought about certain streets that I probably won't be driving on anymore in the Solstice (at least with the top down). I will have to take alternate routes to get around town safely. Its sounds funny, but its unfortunately true.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Fortimir said:
Now the only thing I will be tired of is cleaning! But man, black looks soooo good when it is clean.
The sad truth is that it looks clean for all of 5 minutes. :lol: But you are right! It does look good when it's clean. :yesnod:

BTW, I like red too. If only it didn't wash out the tail lamps. I still want my Serene Blue!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
BriBoop said:
I would have, but I kind of see his point. Besides, I will probably be attracting more attention than I want anyway (here in Shreveport anyway). Sometimes its a good thing to have a low profile. I've already thought about certain streets that I probably won't be driving on anymore in the Solstice (at least with the top down). I will have to take alternate routes to get around town safely. Its sounds funny, but its unfortunately true.
You're right about the attention. I get it from my old 65 Malibu convertible, and as I just posted in another thread, it is scary somethimes having strangers approach you, especially at night. There are places that I definitely won't drive or stop at night, particularly with the top down. It will be the same with my Sol. So, I think you're being wise.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is the Corvette the only GM car that offers optioned (extra cost) colors. It would be nice if GM extended that option to the Solstice. The last red car I had was a 1971 fastback Mustang. The drivers side rear quarter panel and door was damaged shortly after I bought it, then a day after it was painted, someone backed into the drivers door. It went back to the same repair shop, but within a few months I could see three different shades of red, and I swore I’d never own a red car again. That’s another reason I like black cars, it’s pretty hard to screw up matching black paint. But I think the Solstice would look great in bright yellow too.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
LowLife said:
Is the Corvette the only GM car that offers optioned (extra cost) colors. It would be nice if GM extended that option to the Solstice. The last red car I had was a 1971 fastback Mustang. The drivers side rear quarter panel and door was damaged shortly after I bought it, then a day after it was painted, someone backed into the drivers door. It went back to the same repair shop, but within a few months I could see three different shades of red, and I swore I’d never own a red car again. That’s another reason I like black cars, it’s pretty hard to screw up matching black paint. But I think the Solstice would look great in bright yellow too.
As a former auto painter, I can tell you that paint matching ios very difficult. At some point down the road as the new paint cures, it will no longer match, even if it did when it left the bodyshop. But a good painter can minimize it so that only the most discriminating eyes can see the difference. Red is very hard, but any color is susceptible to problems, including black and white.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.