Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2000, for a PT cruiser, we went through the same nonsense I see developing for the Solstice. Fanatics who do not mind paying large premiums will flock to the dealership and make it impossible for anyone to get a car until the madness subsides, the price returns to MSRP, the production matches the demand and the car falls back to being a car and not a deity.
The PT nuts thought that getting one of the first produced would make the car more valuable and make them a fortune...Instead the car lost its value at record pace and turned out to be a financial dud. Let's hope the Solstice fares differently.
As far as we are concerned...we'll wait and see. Let's face it the dealers are greedy but the nuts flocking at their doors give them the opportunity to be that way. The Solstice will be just as nice 6 months later than the first week, some of the inital bugs may have surfaced by then and we'll get a better car.
Have fun! :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well unlike the PT the Solstice will have the first 1000 EOP cars. WHich if I remember correctly there wasn't any special initial PT's. Also unlike the PT the Solstice is a low volume niche car. It's not your average people mover the PT is that everyone wants because it's cute, economical, and useful. The Solstice is beautiful, functional, and trunkless. :D

Also GM is taking measures to prevent dealer price raising with the first 1000 at least. Dealers are encouraged to sell for MSRP. Also most of us have founf plenty of dealers to sign pre-order contracts for post 1000 cars at MSRP as well. With all these things factored in I don't think we're going to have the same issues the PT did. I personally remember a friend's mom trying to get one back then, and this little $20k car had a $10,000 markup on it. It was just ridiculous.

Welcome to the forums too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope you are right

Brentil, I hope that you are right, My wife wants one but I refuse to be caught in the hype, I'd rather wait. As for myself, I'd rather invest in real estate than cars anyway...
We'll see, I hope it works for all the ones who want one so bad they can't wait. Impatience is a weakness and weaknesses allows one to be exploited.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
YOu gotta remember, you don't invest in cars like this for money, you invest in them for your hapiness. :D

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
There will be some greed games going on I'm sure. First 1000 early program will help, as you mention 6 months later it will all be business as usual especially with heavy competition from Sky and new MX-5.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happiness

You are right but happiness is defined differently by different people. I have plenty of Happiness with the cars I have now and I can wait another six months to get more happiness added to my pile. In addition, I think I could get more happiness out of an old Austin Healey or a vintage Aston Martin than I would out of a cheap Pontiac. And if money doesn't matter, then who cares?
But your point is very valid. Have fun! that's what matters.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
YOu gotta remember, you don't invest in cars like this for money, you invest in them for your hapiness. :D
:agree: Right on Brentil!

Anyone who thought the PT Cruiser was going to hold those insanely high values wasn't thinking. Vehicles that really become collectable and appreciate in value are generally ultra rare cars with something very special about them, like a Mopar with a special hemi engine that made it into only a couple hundred cars.

A PT Cruiser on the other hand, built in the hundreds of thousands with each one essentially the same, just will never be rare enough to be collectable.

I doubt even the first 1000 Solstices will ever appreciate or be a good financial investment to get a great return on. Yes it is limited in number, but the Solstices built after are still going to be mechanically the same, and perform the same. Just no dash number. A future F/I engine would also hurt its chances. I doubt its value will bomb, and I think most people realize the value of the first 1000 is not financial but simply to be able to get an early build car and be a part of the special promotion.

I do feel normal resale of these cars will remain strong for a while. Demand will remain strong for the car for a while, and hopefully GM won't build more than there is demand for which really hurts resale (greater supply than demand).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dream on

Fformula88, you sound like a nice person but you are a dreamer..Fortunately for all of us, the world needs dreamers. Your solstice great financial investment will not materialise. Check Brentil post about happiness! He is right.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I didn't think he was saying it would increase in value, just hold it's resale value fairly well due to lower production numbers. Build 100,000 a year of something drives down value.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
mceb said:
I didn't think he was saying it would increase in value, just hold it's resale value fairly well due to lower production numbers. Build 100,000 a year of something drives down value.
I doubt GM cares about resale value only retail value! If they could sell 100,000 of these puppies...they would! I believe GM needs the revenue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot...

Gm is already planning some self developed cpmpetition for the Solstice with the Saturn Sky...Now tell me that they really care about your "investment" in the Solstice?...They just want to sell cars, that is why they are in business, If I was in their shoes I'd do the same. You'll buy it because you want attractive looking wheels not because you think you'll make a bundle on your "investment" You want it to be noticed, After a year you'll be just as noticed as if you were driving a PT cruiser. The only PT's noticed today are the one with advertising on their sides... Have fun!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
I doubt GM cares about resale value only retail value! If they could sell 100,000 of these puppies...they would! I believe GM needs the revenue.
Agree, in this case it's the manufacturing process that will keep the numbers down but in the end it helps resale but agree it's not their intention.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Same thing happened with the first year Harley V-Rod as the PT. Big initial demand drove price way over MSRP but by the end of the first year they were collecting dust in dealerships. I feel sorry for the fools that paid $25,000 for a $17,000 bike that today isn't worth any more than any other used V-Rod! Dido for the PT! Unfortunately it seems to be a law of free market capitalism that price gauging will be envitable on the Solstice as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
V-rod

Keep in mind that the V-Rod is a pile of Junk with bad power curve, bad design and bad stability. Harley missed the boat on that one. So it is difficult to compare a well made and attractive car as the Solstice seems to be, to a lousy motorcycle like the Vrod, but you are right, the numbers just didn't add up.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Personally, I think the sky is a bit ugly. I like the solstice because of it's european look. The sky is definiatly USA looking. Why is GM duplicating a similar car under the wings of another division? It seems dumb from a business perspecitive. Do you see BMW making similar Z4's under a separate division? heck, i don't even think honda does anything like that....only in america i guess.. I think it cheapens the value of the product lines and probably increases expenses at the same time (duplicate efforts between 2 or more divisions). but then again, someone may like the sky better than the solstice...so ring up one more sale!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sky vs Solstice

Todd you are absolutely right. It all comes down to SALES. GM stocks don't go anywhere unless they sell cars. American Manufacturers have always sold the same cars with minor differences in looks and options under the banner of three or four brand names. They cater to customer loyalty to a specific brand. However, at the rate the american brands are bewing sundowned, we may end up with GM and Ford without the brand names under, just like BMW or Mercedez.
Anyway, if nothing else happened to solve all the questions posed by the solstice "phenomenon", it caused us talk about it and open a viable debate.
As far as I am concerned, I have work to do and will watch until the car comes out, then we'll see.
Cheers to all!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
brentil said:
Right on.

However, I would be unhappy if I were robbed by a dealer (or network of collusion of dealers) that got an extra $3500 out of me for six-eight months of driving.

I'd rather wait, buy in the winter when convertible demand is lower, and spend the extra $3500 on a zerogravity flight. http://www.nogravity.com/

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Peterbarrie said:
Fformula88, you sound like a nice person but you are a dreamer..Fortunately for all of us, the world needs dreamers. Your solstice great financial investment will not materialise. Check Brentil post about happiness! He is right.
I think you misread what I was saying. I said it would not appreciate in value, and would not be a good financial investment for a return. No mass produced car is a good investment. I do like to dream, but my head is not that far into the clouds! :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
Personally, I think the sky is a bit ugly. I like the solstice because of it's european look. The sky is definiatly USA looking. Why is GM duplicating a similar car under the wings of another division? It seems dumb from a business perspecitive. Do you see BMW making similar Z4's under a separate division? heck, i don't even think honda does anything like that....only in america i guess.. I think it cheapens the value of the product lines and probably increases expenses at the same time (duplicate efforts between 2 or more divisions). but then again, someone may like the sky better than the solstice...so ring up one more sale!
From what I learned in marketing as long as you can create enough differentiation for the car to attract a different segment/class of buyers without incurring too much additional cost for the manufacturer, brand extensions are a decent strategy to have in the market. At the end of the day, whether it's a Pontiac, Saturn, Buick, etc, it's still a sale for GM and not a competitor.

And it's not just american companies that sell similar cars under different nameplates, Japanese and European companies have them too, albeit not as much as GM has (but then again GM has the largest market share to defend/grow). Oher flanker brands . . . Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Nissan/Infinity, VW/Audi, Fiat/Lancia, etc

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Peterbarrie said:
Keep in mind that the V-Rod is a pile of Junk with bad power curve, bad design and bad stability. Harley missed the boat on that one. So it is difficult to compare a well made and attractive car as the Solstice seems to be, to a lousy motorcycle like the Vrod, but you are right, the numbers just didn't add up.

:devil: As a proud owner of 2003 100th Anniversery V-Rod I take offence! :lol: The V-Rod is the best performing street bike I have ever owned. Sport bike wumping excelleration, Porsche power and reliablility, great looks and with its low center of gravity it easilly out handles my same size and weight Honda Sabre. Its only problem from a marketing standpoint was its design was too radical a departure for conservative, traditional minded HD owners. Thus the Street Rod. But we stray from the subject at hand.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts