Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the newness has already worn off. I love the car, but was hoping to not have to dump money into it right away.

Made room in the garage and parked the car in there yesterday. This morning when I moved her out there was a silver dollar size puddle of rear carrier fluid on the floor.

I had inspected the underside of the car before purchase and no fluid on the rear carrier.

It is an '06 with 43900 miles on her. I did average 30.7 MPG on my backroads drive from the Gulf Coast. Took one of my favorite motorcycle routes

I drove it 60 miles today and two hours after letting it sit I noticed another silver dollar size puddle of fluid under it. None of my bikes leak anything. UGH!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Do you know if it had the recall done on the differential

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Since its an 06 it may only need the vent tube lengthened. Leaving puddles was one of the first signs many of us had when they first came out. Seal leaks will look different. Which side of the car does the puddle appear to be coming from?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I got rid of the RC51 for the Solstice GXP manual...then crashed the sol....got another GXP but auto and still happy. Somedays I wish she were a manual but then again, some days I am happy with the auto.

Your 06 is possibly older than the bikes and more than likely has more miles. At 8 yrs old, some maintenance is expected...or at least should be expected.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got rid of the RC51 for the Solstice GXP manual...then crashed the sol....got another GXP but auto and still happy. Somedays I wish she were a manual but then again, some days I am happy with the auto.

Your 06 is possibly older than the bikes and more than likely has more miles. At 8 yrs old, some maintenance is expected...or at least should be expected.
It is older, but my 2010 bike has more miles. I've been averaging 25,000 miles a year on two wheels.

My 2011 bike has 22,000 miles, and my 2012 has 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since its an 06 it may only need the vent tube lengthened. Leaving puddles was one of the first signs many of us had when they first came out. Seal leaks will look different. Which side of the car does the puddle appear to be coming from?
When looking at the rear carrier from the rear of the car, the drivers side looks wetter than the passenger side. Looks to be coming from up where I can't see.

That is one thing I love about bikes. Don't need a lift to check them over. LOL!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
The first thing you need to do is determine where the leak is, pinion seal, axle seals, or vent tube.

Then we can give you some advice on the fix.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first thing you need to do is determine where the leak is, pinion seal, axle seals, or vent tube.

Then we can give you some advice on the fix.

Thanks. I'll see if I can lift the rear enough to slide under there tomorrow.

So, will a local GM dealer be able to see if the recalls have all been done? I bought the car from a local Buick GMC dealer and they did a 172 point inspection and one of the items asks about open recalls and says it passes.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Thanks. I'll see if I can lift the rear enough to slide under there tomorrow.

So, will a local GM dealer be able to see if the recalls have all been done? I bought the car from a local Buick GMC dealer and they did a 172 point inspection and one of the items asks about open recalls and says it passes.
Assuming that the recall was done by a GM dealer, it will (should) show up on the service record associated with your VIN number in GM's database, accessible by a local GM dealer.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The TSB may have been performed on the car but it may not have been done correctly. Wait to pass judgement when you can see exactly where the leak is.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Pinion seals and vent tube fix both had to done twice on my '06. After they replaced the diff is when I decided I had had enough and got an '07. That and the 64k I had put on it in 20 months...:lol:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Sounds like the vent to me. First make sure the diff isn't just over-filled. If that's the case, the vent is performing as-designed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It is older, but my 2010 bike has more miles. I've been averaging 25,000 miles a year on two wheels.

My 2011 bike has 22,000 miles, and my 2012 has 18,000 miles.
That is a ton of miles for a bike...what types? Do you commute a long way daily?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is a ton of miles for a bike...what types? Do you commute a long way daily?
My bikes:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2011 Kawasaki Versys 650
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1600

I have ridden in 37 states in just the past 4 years. I am fortunate that I get to ride for work trips when time allows. My normal commute is 26 miles one way.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like the vent to me. First make sure the diff isn't just over-filled. If that's the case, the vent is performing as-designed.
I am wondering how would one overfill the carrier when the fill hole is on the side?

If it is the vent, then it is something I don't have to worry about, right? Because the vent can't exhaust all of the differential fluid out of the carrier.

I jacked the car up this afternoon and there is plenty of crud on the carrier. It was mostly on top, the rear, and the drivers side. The passenger side was dirty but no crud.

I cleaned the carrier with a rag and simple green the best I could and I was able to get the rag almost everywhere but for a few nooks and crannys. I will drive the car to work tomorrow and when I get home I will set a tray under the carrier and see if there is anything from the drive back and forth.

As of right now I am thinking the vent. I can't lift the car evenly on all four corners so I will probably have one of those lube places check the level and possibly change the fluid.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The part numbers for the vent extension are no doubt on this forum somewhere. That and a fluid change should get you set up. My guess is that the dealer you bought it from might have either changed the fluid or "topped off" the carrier. 85W90 is pretty thick stuff. It is possible to over-fill by forcing a bunch in there and putting the plug in before it pours back out to the level of the bottom of the threads. When you change it, be sure to either use a synthetic that has slip additive in it or add some slip additive to the fluid (if your car has the G80 limited-slip). If memory serves, I used Royal Purple... and redline in the gearbox - though it may be the other way around. Which reminds me that I should probably change my fluids again before I put mine back into service next summer.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
The picture shows the location of the differential vent, on the top, rear, driver's side, the same as where you have the crud.

The document is the TSB for extending the vent by adding a tube and another vent to the existing vent.

Enjoy.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts