Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Is the Solstice, as it is now, a chick car?

• Yes

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • I don't care

Votes: 22 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming the Solstice stays as it is shown in the pictures and the specs stay the same as reported, is the the Solstice, in your opinion, a chick car? Assume the HP stays at 170 and no options are offered outside the norm.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Informal poll in Michigan, now that weather is turning warm (albiet a bit soggy!).

Out of 17 miatas (yes, 17 over a two-three week period), only 8 were driven by men.

But, out of 29 F-cars (Camaros and Firebirds combined, 6 of which were CF III's), a whopping 19 were driven by....

WOMEN!!! Nearly every one (80%, or 8/10) of the Firebirds were women-piloted. And only one of those was a Formula or Trans Am. That's certainly more than I would have thought.

I know, I know. I'm not that much of a geek, I just rather prefer data over opinion... :thumbs

Does that make the Firebird a chick car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Of course the Solstice is a chick's car - and a rooster's car too :smile .

In reference to the Firebird, I own a '68 - my baby - and I drive it with more comfort than my 6'4" husband - it wasn't built for a tall guy but he still enjoys her - as for li'l ole me - she is puurrrrrrrfect - just as the Solstice will be :cool .

Sapphire

·
Registered
151 Posts
i dont see what specs or power have to do with the 'stice being a chick car. as far as i'm concerned, looks are the only thing to do with the sexual orientation of a car, and even then, the topic is subject to personal opinion.

if a car looks feminine, then it's a chick car, if it looks masculine, then its a guys car, if you cant choose one way or the other (as in the solstice in my opinion) then its neutral.

one example would be the bug, in my opinion, it is far more than feminine,

the solstice on the other hand, isn't really masculine, or feminine

on the other hand, if you have a 10,000 hp VW bug, then is it a guys car just because of all the power? not in my opinion, for in my eyes, it will always be a chick car

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
:agree Good observation, Vita.

The Solstice does seem to be a gender neutral design. It also evokes a kind of "timeless" quality - like it's something we've seen before but at the same time is fresh.

I'd call the VX lightning masculine.

The Chevy SSR is another example of "masculine".

The Audi TT is what I (IMHO) would call feminine leaning.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I think you hit on the difference. It's a power thing!
My daughter traded her '88 Chevy pickup for a 2000 Camaro with a V6 'cuz it looked so good and that was all she could afford. She hated it because it was so much slower than her old truck with a 350 V8. Even though she was way upside down, she traded it in on a 2002 Chevy truck with a V8.

At the same time she had the V6 Camaro, my son started driving a '94 Camaro with a LT1. It was a whole different car and just oozed Testosterone where her car felt like my parents Bonnevile.

Expect to see a similar thing with the normal and supercharged Solstice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Solstice is by far NOT a chick car. It is meant to be a man's car. Yes it is a small roadster but it is unlike the cars from Europe which are chick cars like the BMW Z4, and Mercedes SLK.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is there really a strictly chick car?
A car that no male, young or old, would own or drive?
Even with a gun pointed to his head (or other vital parts)?

On the other hand there is Formula 1 and NASCAR racing where I don't remember ever seeing a female driver. But then is that because they aren't interested or don't have the necessary experience or is it just against the rules?

Just curious. :smile

·
Registered
533 Posts
This sounds like a question that GM's marketing department has already researched. I'll bet they already predicted the percentage of buyers by age, income level, and gender (and maybe a few more factors as well).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I wouldn't call the Solstice a chick car, although I also do not think the Miata is one either. The best example of a chick car is the New Beetle. Something like 80% of them are bought by women, and its styling is definately aimed at females (flower vase on the dash?!?)

I do not see V6 ponycars as chick cars either. They get that reputation from the owners of V8 ponycars who do not like it when they see a slower V6 version "making their car look slow." For whatever reason, some V8 owners (certainly not all) just hate the idea of the V6 cars, and will not give any respect to a V6 version. I think its silly. After all, those V6 versions have been around since the beginning, they are the majority of sales for the car (over 60% of Mustangs are V6) are are necessary to keep the car for sale.

Down the road, the same thing could happen between base Solstices and S/C versions (if made). It depends on the owners. But such things as some muscleheads calling my car a "chick" car really doesn't bother me anyway. They may not understand my enjoyment of the car, and maybe I do not understand their enjoyment of their car either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Daughter wants one!

When I saw the Solstice for the 1st time - I thought what a cool car. But, I already had my SSR on order... When my daughter saw a photo in some GM correspondence, she decited to follow dads footsteps and get a first year release vehicle too.

I think the car is gender neutral. I sure like what I see...

I guess it's deja vu all over again - I spent last summer GLUED to the SSRfanatic forum (Thanks TROY!) waiting for my SSR to be built - and I guess I'll be watching this site too, as I'm already on a dealership wait list!!!

Thanks again Troy...

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only car out there that I would consider to be a chick car is the VW BUG. The solstice is a sports car first and foremost. Whether or not the majority of cars will be owned by women ins inconsequential.

The majority of firebird/camaro's driven by women are the V6 cars. If you went with the V8 version I would say the majority would be driven by Men.

·
Registered
281 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
If the rumors are true, and they only offer the solstice in standard trannies at introduction, that should stymie the chicks for awhile.
theres no way to say this without sexual ineundo...

ive taught many women how to drive a stick. they are, in my experience, very apt pupils and become much more proficient than some guys i know.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I'm not saying females can't learn to drive a stick. I'm not saying females can't drive better than me. I'm not saying females are inferior at anything. I'm just saying that fewer females choose to learn how to drive a stick, therefore offering a 'standard only' solstice would logically drive away more female buyers than male buyers.

I don't know if Pontiac will do this, but if they want to skew the typical buyer to a more male demographic, this would help.

Don't get me wrong. I loooooves me some women.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bizz said:
theres no way to say this without sexual ineundo...

ive taught many women how to drive a stick. they are, in my experience, very apt pupils and become much more proficient than some guys i know.
Ummm...you might want to keep the guys away from your stick. Otherwise people might start to talk if you know what I mean.

:jester

·
Registered
281 Posts
61BelAir said:
Ummm...you might want to keep the guys away from your stick. Otherwise people might start to talk if you know what I mean.

:jester
yeah yeah, i always try to keep the guys away from my stick, but its very hard! :lol

the irony of the word "inuendo" (in you end, OH!) never ceases to amuse me. :smile

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bizz said:
yeah yeah, i always try to keep the guys away from my stick, but its very hard! :lol

the irony of the word "inuendo" (in you end, OH!) never ceases to amuse me. :smile

hhhmmmmm? Do you live in San Francisco?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts