Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on ordering a Solstice with base stereo so I could add an aftermarket stereo. Many new cars seem to have the stereo combined with climate controls and other functions. Does anyone know if that is the case in the Solstice?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
It doesn't appear to be integrated as far as we can tell.

·
Registered
350 Posts
docbrock said:
I was planning on ordering a Solstice with base stereo so I could add an aftermarket stereo. Many new cars seem to have the stereo combined with climate controls and other functions. Does anyone know if that is the case in the Solstice?

The only integration that I know of is the speed controlled volume, but this is on the upgraded radios not on the base, but it is a great thing to have. I upgraded the radio solely for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
This is a good question for an electrical guy from the industry.

I've heard that many functions are now integrated with the radio that you may expect (like XM, Onstar and volume controls/etc.), and some you don't expect (like the sound module using speakers for turn signals, the ding-ding-ding when you insert the key, etc.). I don't know if these systems just use the speakers, or absolutely require the radio to do this. I also don't know if the Solstice is traditional or this newer method (I thought the C6/XLR might be like this ???).

I don't know anyone has ever asked this before.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
This is a good question for an electrical guy from the industry.

I've heard that many functions are now integrated with the radio that you may expect (like XM, Onstar and volume controls/etc.), and some you don't expect (like the sound module using speakers for turn signals, the ding-ding-ding when you insert the key, etc.). I don't know if these systems just use the speakers, or absolutely require the radio to do this. I also don't know if the Solstice is traditional or this newer method (I thought the C6/XLR might be like this ???).

I don't know anyone has ever asked this before.
I think it varies between car makers too. I know someone who bought a Honda, replaced the head unit, and lost her power windows and locks! :eek: Why they would route through the radio is anybody's guess, but they did.

I have not kept up 100% on the radios available, but wasn't there some rumors that the DIC (Driver Information Center) was going to be operated through the radio?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I work with a guy who replaced the stereo in his wifes 2004 malibu and he had to buy a special junction box that tricked the car into thinking the original stereo was still there so certain things would operate like normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not kept up 100% on the radios available, but wasn't there some rumors that the DIC (Driver Information Center) was going to be operated through the radio?[/QUOTE]

If the DIC is not in the radio then were is it located?

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
i'm guessiing the radio will be about the same as that in current GM cars.

They mixed in driver info such as milage, oil status, radio station info, temp, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a way to plug in an electronic compass and get directional info. If (as I'm guessing) onstar includes a GPS you might even be able to get a crude trip guide (149 miles to destination entered as lat long?)

OK so my uncle was Rube Goldberg....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts