Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be interesting to post a thread to track people on the wait list that manage to get into a First 1000. Please post your story in this thread. I did not see a thread dedicated to this topic, so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate post.

We have all heard about disqualifications (still not convinced verification process will weed out the cheaters) and duplicates, so I have to believe some waitlister will make the cut.

Question for dealers....what happens to the a First 1000 cars in which the buyer fails to take delivery (lack of financing, buyer changes mind, dealer demands more than MSRP,etc.)? Is there a process to get the car to the waitlist people or does the car just go into dealer inventory?

Please, no more EOP sob stories.....we should all move past 4/15.

Congrats to the First 1000 folks and thanks to all the contributors to this forum that make this a better source for Solstice info than Pontiac.com

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Disqualifications are occurring...

To quote my self from another thread:
Crimson Avenger said:
I did ask a couple of questions:

Q: How many have you confirmed so far?
A: Oh, a whole bunch.

Q: Have you had any disqualifications yet?
A: Many; some were dealers, and we're researching that very well.​
So for our colleagues on the wait list, there is some hope. :cool:
Let's keep our fingers crossed! :yesnod:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tazeray said:
Question for dealers....what happens to the a First 1000 cars in which the buyer fails to take delivery (lack of financing, buyer changes mind, dealer demands more than MSRP,etc.)? Is there a process to get the car to the waitlist people or does the car just go into dealer inventory?
For those dealers, it will go into their regular inventory, and will cont against their allocation. Same as if they ordered it for the lot. I would suspect that by now every Pontiac shop in North America has at least ONE person waiting to get one, no matter how it's built. Just sit back enjoy another story.....

This is a true story, happened last Weds. Guy comes in, wants to buy a used GTO, paying cash. We have a Yellow 6 spd, and a Black auto, both under 2000 miles. We drive (I drive, he races) the Yellow, double clutching both times to 3rd gear, up to about 120 mph, and coasts for the remaining 3/4 mile to the stop sign--we have perfectly straight, almost flat doublewide-plus country roads. My track--I drive 1 mile thru town, stop, do a demo/presentation off of the lot, switch driver -2 mile straightaway 1/2 town, 1/2 country, 1 milestraight, 1 mile straight, 2 miles straight, 1 mile up town back home. It was a very smooth ride, except when my head hit the headrest the first time.

Back at the ranch, he says he loves the car, I tell him the auto is actually .1 quicker in 1/4 & 0-6, so he just needs to ask the wife if it's gonna be a manual, or an auto. As we walk up to my desk to get the paperwork around, he sees the banner of the lifesize SOL banner overhead, and asks about it. I tell him it's a Pontiac Roadster, due out sometime later this year. He ask, no kidding, how many golf bags can you get into it. I say 2 up, 1 down. He says I love the GTO, but I'll wait. I tell him it may be June of next year, he's still waiting. He said call me when you get one, keep me updated. Got an Apprentice Starter Kit, biz card, and left.

Peolpe will buy the car right off the lot, even if it had a trunk full of dirty diapers on a July Sunday in West Texas. That's really hot for some you Northern folk. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Time Stamp: 2:25 PM - Wait Listed :brentil: :cuss:

Why would I be wait listed at such an early time? There are people who have a pending status with later time stamps.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Probabilities for early wait list entries

SolsTis06 said:
Time Stamp: 2:25 PM (EST) - Wait Listed :brentil: :cuss:

Why would I be wait listed at such an early time? There are people who have a pending status with later time stamps.
I posted a fairly long discussion on another thread, but I'll re-post it here. The following discussion does some statistical arithmetic for those with early time stamp wait list entries....

Originally posted at: Thread: Wait Listed at 2:25 PM (EST)-->Post: Hope it was really 2:25 EDT, not 2:25 EST....

SolsTis06 said:
I was at my Dealer at 1:30 PM (EST) and at exactly 2:00 PM he tried to login. He obviously had some issues but finally made it and got my order in and confirmed. My time stamp is 2:35 PM and my current status is wait listed. Even though my dealer said I was pending on the 15th of April. Anyone else have similar issues. Also, why at 2:25 am I wait listed??? What do you think the likely hood of actually getting one of the first 1000 is?
Two things come to mind
  1. Eastern DAYLIGHT Time is one hour earlier. Did you mean EDT or EST?
  2. Some folks got wait listed during the process even before 2:42 EDT. Probably system difficulties due to the heavy load of folks trying to get the exact same operation done.
Now, before you get too mad at the programmers, keep in mind that had the systems operated flawlessly, and handled every web hit is milliseconds, rather than what happened with the overloading condition, then almost certainly, all 1000 would have gone in the first 2 minutes. Then, it would have been a speed typist's race. As it was, there was NEVER going to be one EOP in each of 2000+ dealerships who signed up--there were only 1000 cars, so your odds were less than a coin toss going in. So, what we wound up with was a lottery of the first attempted who didn't have to win a speed typing race, but did have to be very patient and persistent for about 45 minutes. Stressful, yes, but in the end, the cars were distributed randomly, rather than to the rich (who could out bid others) or to the swift of keyboard and mouse (the internet/computer savvy).

Now, on to your other question. Well, given your wait list time stamp, you're almost certainly one of the earliest.

Let's do a little statistical approximation arithmetic. If the numbers from Excelsior are a good sampling, then of the 62 orders we have listed as Pending or Confirmed before 2:42, we have 7 Wait List entries mixed into that slice of the sample.

So, given about 1000 cars, about 7/62 times 1000 is good guess as to the number on the wait list BEFORE 2:42. That's:
7 / 62 * 1000 ~= 112​
So, you're in the ball park.

Now, let's look a bit closer: What's the fraction of that 112 that might be ahead of you? Well, in our sample, 3 of 7 early wait list entries are before 2:35, thus your're at about the 3 1/2 mark through that 7. So, of that 112, you'd be some where in the middle:
3.5 / 7 * 112 ~= 56​
So, you could be somewhere around the 56'th person on the waiting list.

Now the margin of error is fairly large, and there is no real way to know, because we don't have access to the actual data set, but this is not a bad guess. However, this argument depends on your watch being set correctly for Daylight Saving Time. If you were really there at 1:30 EST, then by the time you got your entry in, it would have been 3:35 EDT, and the numbers don't look very good at all. So, I hope your watch had been "sprung forward".

From another thread, I posted that when I asked, the EOP HQ whether or not there had been any disqualifications, they said, "Yes, many." Obviously that's not a precise number, but since they had only gotten down through about the 1st 1/3 of the list (guessing by the intake time stamps and the distribution of the confirmation calls being weighted toward the earlier time stamps) that means there were about 600 or so to go on Monday.

So, is it likely you'll be moved to the 1st 1000 queue? No. Is it possible? Yes. How good are my chances? That depends largely on how many disqualifications occur. And they are checking that very carefully. At this point, only time will tell. It's not a coin toss, but it's looking more like getting the same number on two consecutive throws of the dice, than like being struck by lightening.

I wish I could be more help, but we're way out on a limb with these estimates, so use the appropriate 10 pound block of salt when you read this.

----

Edits & comments: When I was working on this, I used the 2:35 mark for your time stamp. I've seen in other threads (and even within the same post that you say you have a 2:25 time stamp. If that 2:25 time stamp is true (others have discovered the Daylight Saving Time bug in their own wrist chronometers as well) then, you're probably much closer to the beginning of the list, and your odds are somewhat better.

Best of luck either way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Crimson Avenger

I created the new post last night and no one was replying. So I decided to venture out to the existing posts. I replied to you on my post and, thank you again.

:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts