Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,768 Posts
If you have TC (Traction Control) then yes. and the competitive mode only effects how the traction control functions. Press the TC button once to enter competitive mode and then a second time to disable TC. If you have ESC (Electronic Stability Control) if you press and hold the TC button for 5 seconds will disable both TC and ESC

·
Registered
571 Posts
No. The 2006 does not have traction or stability control, so there is nothing to turn off.
Does any NA Kappa have the "Competitive Mode"? I don't think they did, but not entirely sure. DAVEOC has good info in the following thread. Now knowing that most NA's don't even have TC.
Bert

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
Does any NA Kappa have the "Competitive Mode"? I don't think they did, but not entirely sure. DAVEOC has good info in the following thread. Now knowing that most NA's don't even have TC.
Bert
Competitive Mode (as I tried to say in the post you quoted) is simply turning off Traction Control and Stability Control. It doesn't add anything, so if you do not have TC and ESC you are always in Competitive Mode.

• Haha
Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yes I understand that, but the GXP highlights that as a feature. Let me re-phrase my question for you only. With the NA cars that do have traction control (and as I learned not many do), and you turn it off, similar to a GXP Model when it displays competitive mode on the DIC, will the DIC in the NA also display the message "Competitive Mode"?

Bert

·
Registered
571 Posts
Competitive Mode (as I tried to say in the post you quoted) is simply turning off Traction Control and Stability Control. It doesn't add anything, so if you do not have TC and ESC you are always in Competitive Mode.
And not entirely true either, as "competitive Mode" on a GXP still retains some control over the car. Perhaps "ESC OFF" on the GXP would be more in line with the NA with no control at all.

Bert

·
Registered
769 Posts
On my 2009 N/A Coupe, the DIC does Display "competetive mode" when I turn of the Traction control. Just FYI

Reactions: agent008 and JohnWR

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
Yes I understand that, but the GXP highlights that as a feature. Let me re-phrase my question for you only. With the NA cars that do have traction control (and as I learned not many do), and you turn it off, similar to a GXP Model when it displays competitive mode on the DIC, will the DIC in the NA also display the message "Competitive Mode"?

Bert
I have never seen a 2.4 with TC/ESC, and have not heard of anyone who has one, so the short answer is "I don't know." Logic suggests that it would, but logic doesn't always count.

Edit: See above post by @cammerjeff . Logic does sometimes prevail.

I am curious abut why you are interested. If you have it you can find out for yourself, and if you don't it really doesn't matter. Are you just curious?

And not entirely true either, as "competitive Mode" on a GXP still retains some control over the car. Perhaps "ESC OFF" on the GXP would be more in line with the NA with no control at all.

Bert
The manual is actually a bit vague about what the modes are.
  • Traction Control can be turned off with one button push
  • TC and ESC can be turned off by holding the button for 5-10 seconds
  • Competitive Mode is entered by pushing the button twice in succession
There is no clear description (that I have seen) that differentiates Competitive Mode from Traction Control Off, unless ESC is operating at a lower level.

I haven't done any real testing of the performance limits in any of the modes, but I'm certain that someone has.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks Cammerjeff. Interesting.
John, simply out of curiosity. Over the years I do not recall ever seeing this discussed on the forum (s)(fora), regarding the NA. Other than that it does not pertain to our (My wife's) GXP. Which is why my search was brief and not extensive. And you are correct, the manual is vague, as well as the consensus of discussions over the years

Cheers

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have never seen a 2.4 with TC/ESC, and have not heard of anyone who has one, so the short answer is "I don't know." Logic suggests that it would, but logic doesn't always count.
my 2009 NA coupe window sticker lists Traction Control

Bill

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
This driving option became available on the Pontiac GXP and Saturn SKY RL when they came out in 2007. Then in 2008 that control button at the bottom of the center dash began appearing in all the SKYs as a standard feature. That button up on the Sol boomerang became a standard, or at least an option, at that same time.

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
Thanks Cammerjeff. Interesting.
John, simply out of curiosity. Over the years I do not recall ever seeing this discussed on the forum (s)(fora), regarding the NA. Other than that it does not pertain to our (My wife's) GXP. Which is why my search was brief and not extensive. And you are correct, the manual is vague, as well as the consensus of discussions over the years

Cheers
Curiosity may be the best reason, and i guess that makes you a philospher, (From Greek: phlein = love, sophos = knowledge) or one who loves knowledge.

my 2009 NA coupe window sticker lists Traction Control

Bill
Now I have heard of two people that have it! But i still haven't seen it .....

·
Registered
769 Posts
Interesting that both people who have posted their N/A with T/C are both coupe's I wonder if it was standard on all coupe's . As my Coupe was pretty basic to start with the plastic steering wheel with no radio controls, plastic gear shift knob, and cloth seats. But it did have A/C.
It would be interesting to look up what was standard on a N/A Coupe, like did they make a coupe with manual windows, or no fog lights? I know they made at least 1 with no A/C (the minty Green Canadian Spec car now F/S in Florida)

·
Registered
538 Posts
ESC was beginning to be mandated by the feds in 2009. Probably why it began to trickle in.

Competitive mode does indeed turn off traction control, and raises the limit for yaw rotation before stability control intervention. Though I've admittedly never done a long rolling burnout with competitive mode active to see if there is a limit to traction control re-entering the conversation. Perhaps when my next set of tires life out I'll have to do that. For science.

Reactions: HHGadget

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
ESC was beginning to be mandated by the feds in 2009. Probably why it began to trickle in.

Competitive mode does indeed turn off traction control, and raises the limit for yaw rotation before stability control intervention. Though I've admittedly never done a long rolling burnout with competitive mode active to see if there is a limit to traction control re-entering the conversation. Perhaps when my next set of tires life out I'll have to do that. For science.
The owner's manual states "full control of the rear wheels", so i would say no limit, but don't let that stop you from testing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts