Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if there will be any cargo space anywhere in the car. The Z4 claims to have enough room in the "trunk" to hold two golf bags. Will the Solstice have any room in its "trunk"? Will it even have a trunk?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yes it will have a trunk but no one knows the final dimensions. It's assumed that the top will fold into trunk eating up some space but it's unknown at this time how much volume is in there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
that is a good question. i think it would be great to be able to at least fit one golf bag, not to mention a small amount of groceries!

since production is poised to start in May of '05, does anyone know when they are planning on putting out the final specs, or am i just going to have to wait in limbo until i receive updates from GM?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Good question...if I can get the ear of the rep at the NY car show that's my main question. Pure speculation on my part is we'll see final specs including prices early next winter in time for the early car shows (Jan). I'm hoping sooner.

Here's a link to lot's of pictures, you can see the trunk chasis and how it opens to get general idea of size but a lot depends on how it all comes together.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3230

·
Registered
161 Posts
This reminds me of my 1968 Corvette covertible.
Once you open the rear deck you'll have a place for storage.
If you put the top down, it will fold into the space but in a 'U' shape so there will still be space inside the 'U' where you can put things.

If memory serves, with the top up I was able to stand 6 or so grocery bags in the back of the vette as long as they weren't filled to the top.

I'm not sure how the top will work on the Solstice, but on the vette I had to pull a release lever for the back of it, lift the back up and then hit another lever to release the rear deck. Once the packing was done, then we'd close the rear deck and push the top down and catch it shut.

With the top down, the capacity was reduced to about 2+ bags with a wee bit of space under the folded top as it didn't lay flat on the floor of the rear deck...

From the pics, it looks like the back of the Solstice opens more than the vette did so there may be even more room...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all who responded. I indeed hope there is room for at least one golf bag, or two bags of groceries. I plan as using the car for a fun day tripper. Would hate to have to make a choice between having my wife riding beside me or leaving her on the roadside and having a discovered treasure in the passenger seat.

Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
If it is like the Fiero, there will be room for a considerable amount of "soft stuff". Of course if you have a flat, the road wheel will have to go in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mike52 said:
Thanks to all who responded. I indeed hope there is room for at least one golf bag, or two bags of groceries. I plan as using the car for a fun day tripper. Would hate to have to make a choice between having my wife riding beside me or leaving her on the roadside and having a discovered treasure in the passenger seat.

Mike
always take the treasure, you can come back for the wife:cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vita. While I found your statement funny, my wife did not appreciate it. Its a wonder women survive without a sense of humor.

Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
Once brought a 27" TV home inna carton on the luggage rack of an '84 Fiero. There is a reason that racks are popular for small cars besides being trunk handles.

And if that fails am certain someone will come up with a small and matching trailer.

If you really want to, there is always a way.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I know I mentioned it before on another thread, but I'll say it again; a quick release passenger seat would be very cool. They come out of mini vans easily enough and I don't think a roadster seat would weigh that much. Just a thought.:thumbs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts