Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I don't know this person but the advertised car seems like a really low price. Is this an indication of the current value of the Solstice? Basics: 2008 GXP, 22k miles, asking $9,800. If I didn't already own a 2009, I'd be jumping on this.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Seems like a reasonable price a car is only worth what someone will pay for it .The car has a lien on it so maybe with all the craziness going on in the world today it's a luxury that the owner can no longer afford . I've noticed a lot more "toys" being listed on my local craigslist is it a sign of the times due to the pandemic ?

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Seems like a reasonable price a car is only worth what someone will pay for it .The car has a lien on it so maybe with all the craziness going on in the world today it's a luxury that the owner can no longer afford . I've noticed a lot more "toys" being listed on my local craigslist is it a sign of the times due to the pandemic ?
I think, along with what you pointed out, There are various reasons that prices are dropping. I don't think our cars are old enough or rare enough for the serious collector, yet they are old enough and rare enough to make finding parts and mechanics difficult. I just enjoy working on the long list of bugs that continue to crop up and the thrill of the hunt for parts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think that is a great price.

I have been watching prices for gxp's under 75k as I am looking to put more miles on mine and keep my jeep miles down as it seems from 30,000 to 60,000 the price does not drop much; but I seen plenty with more miles than 22,000 selling for 11 to 13k.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have the car thoroughly inspected by a reputable mechanic before you commit. Don't put much faith in CarFax which is only as good as the honesty of the previous owner(s).

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
About 1.5 to 3K low for price in my opinion. What you think of as "exceptional" and what I think of it can be two different things.

But bear in mind the used car market goes up and down. Region and seller motivation plays a role too. In 1991 I could have bought a nearly perfect 1970 GS455 Stage 1, N. Carolina car, no rust, for 6 grand. It had the right date code engine, right carb and distributor, correct trans, etc to be a Stage 1 (Stage 1s are not ID'd by VIN for that car). Owner was moving and couldn't store it any more. In my car club that same car would have gone for almost 20K at the time and what it was missing was fairly inconsequential, such as the right core support brace and overflow tank. I couldn't come up with the money...75K car today. Motivated sellers are the best sellers, if you're a buyer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
"I have been watching prices for gxp's under 75k as I am looking to put more miles on mine and keep my jeep miles down as it seems from 30,000 to 60,000 the price does not drop much; but I seen plenty with more miles than 22,000
selling for 11 to 13k."

unintended high hijacking of the thread.

in my search for a new jeep and keeping the mileage down on my jeep trade in, my solstice became the daily driver.

I kept that thought at in traffic, it would suck because of its size vs general traffic and it being a standard, but it turns out in moderate traffic which is what I encounter, I am not bumper to bumper except at stoplights. it's great, I do not have to slow down on turns like you have to do in a jeep and moving thru moderate traffic is great in it; it's actually much easier to find a hole in the traffic and acceralte thru it. only way the jeep is better is getting in an out; but if I ate less junk food, that would probably be less of a problem.

now my jeep is the thunderstorm and hauling junk car, the solstice is everything else; I would neve have thought that.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Leeholsen, I have always felt that the rear gearing and transmission gear ratios in the Solstice were very well thought out both for a general zippy feel and for economy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Kappas are trending on the Fiero value curve. They weren't expensive enough or around long enough to hit the early appreciation curve. My guess is that they will never go up much, if at all. The parts issue alone is a major deterrent, especially hoods.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Cars are a bad investment in general. Seen it for over 30 years in the hobby. Just buy something you like and is fun and doesn't break your bank, and be happy with it. Dollar signs in your eyes is more difficult than it seems. Modern cars don't "
keep" like many classics.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 2008 GXP with 55K miles on it just got totaled by my insurance company. I was given close to 20,000 for the car. There was not a single modification to it. My car has the "Mean" Yellow paint on it and those do get sold for a higher dollar amount. But the price for the one that is posted here is either crazy low because they want to get rid of the car fast due to money problems. Or there is something wrong with the car that is not being stated.

I fully agree with you @ChrisBlair. I woould still be leary of buying a classic car (70's or older) because of what the Discovery Channel did to the restoration market. lot of "hack" shops popped up trying to get on TV and you ended up with a whole lot of cars that have been "restored" but not properly.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Isn't it a shame? I had a lot of fun in that hobby, 20 years ago or so.

Sorry to hear about your GXP kgschlosser. I hope nobody got hurt. But a nice bit of change from the ins co! What are you going to buy to replace the Solstice GXP?

·
Registered
609 Posts
cars are worth what they can be sold for...or rather what somebody is willing to pay for it. I paid too much for mine, but it was what I was looking for and did/does look almost like new inside and out. one thing for sure is you never get enough when you sell and you always pay to much when you buy. yes I wish it was turbo, and yes now I wish it was automatic with turbo...but this combo dont exzist.I will not have black leather.nor do I want black everything else.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
The price on this car, THIS YEAR is exceptional. That kind of mileage on a GXP, pedal car, THIS YEAR, would be around $12-$14k. Last year it this car would have been priced about $1k low and should have been about $9500-$11k last year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
@ChrisBlair

I bought the car back from the insurance company!!! It got totaled because the cost to repair the cosmetic damage was higher then Kelly Blue Book value. This is where you can get the insurance companies by the short and curlies. An insurance company has to total a vehicle using the Blue Book Value of the car. But they have to pay out the Fair Market value for the car. So doing the research and locating identical cars and providing them the information about the cars including photos and where they are being sold will almost always provide you with a higher payout.

Insurance companies have a single rule to follow when they are repairing a car. They MUST return the car to the condition it was before the accident. plain and simple!!! So the parts they put on your car MUST be LKQ (Like Kind and Quality). Metal parts MUST be replaced with metal parts. With the Solstice things like the top material have to be the same also. a vinyl top is not LKQ. Some of the parts that got damaged on my car they were not able to locate through their vendors. The hood, top and seats were the 3 biggies.

so I bought the car back for 4 grand. I felt that was about what they would have gotten for it at auction. It is what I would have paid for the car if I was at the auction it was being sold at. So there is more then enough money to repair the car with aftermarket fiberglass parts (because I can do this) plus do a few upgrades at the same time.

So I got an RKSport hood, bumper cover and side skirts, drivers door (was damaged) with all of the bits and pieces including the glass. BorgWarner EFR 6758 Turbo, Werks Intercooler, Werks charge pipes, Werks CAI, 3 bar map sensors, Werks strut brace, Werks front frame brace, DDM Works Pro Beam, Tunnel brace (backbone brace), catted down pipe, exhaust, and all of the bits and pieces to get everything installed.

I am doing all of the work myself except the paint. I am going to fit and prep everything so it will roll in get sprayed and roll out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The price on this car, THIS YEAR is exceptional. That kind of mileage on a GXP, pedal car, THIS YEAR, would be around $12-$14k. Last year it this car would have been priced about $1k low and should have been about $9500-$11k last year.
"Toys" are up everywhere this year. Lightly used ATVS, boats, jet skis, RVs, etc. are selling for as much as they were new or even slightly more (not that they owner still isn't losing some money once you factor in inflation, maintenance, lost opportunity costs, etc.)

Blame the 'rona virus. The "haves" that are the buyers of such toys are working comfortably from home receiving a pay check, stimulus money, not paying for gas to commute and they are bored out of their mind and are looking for ways to entertain themselves.

Lets see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
@phil1734

Very wise words... I never looked at it from that angle. But you are correct.. I do want to throw in there you have the unemployed or people that are temporary layoffs getting more money then they were when they were working. I personally find this HORRID. My wife was laid off, she is a dental hygienist. getting 30% of what she was making while a lot of people are getting 150% of what they were making. I personally find this to be a really stupid thing. It should have been capped at what the person was making. This could have bumped up my wife's to 50% or maybe even 60%.

The federal checks run out the end of this month. This is when the poop is going to hit the fan.... you know that 11% unemployment rate?? it's not really 11% the 11% does not include the people that have been temporarily laid off. it does not include people that have been unemployed longer then a year I believe (discouraged people). It does not include seasonally laid off people either. Nor people that are over 64 years old. these are considered retired people even tho most continue to work until their late 70's or even mid 80's. the "real" unemployment rate is much much much higher!!!!. and the vast majority are doing fine because of the added 600 per week the feds are kicking in. when that is gone things are going to change.. think the riots that just happened were bad???? I hate to see what heppens next when people start loosing the basic necessities. It's not going to be like what happened in the great depression. people are not going to set up cardboard towns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

I don't know this person but the advertised car seems like a really low price. Is this an indication of the current value of the Solstice? Basics: 2008 GXP, 22k miles, asking $9,800. If I didn't already own a 2009, I'd be jumping on this.

I have an 07 Coupe and would like to sell it but am not sure where to list it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts