Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions...I've been holding off placing my order on a solstice due to my lack of trust in the Pontiac name...every time I mention I am going to buy a new car, and someone asks "what kind", and I mention a Pontiac Solstice, I get the same reply..."don't due it, it's a Pontiac".

I however, keep coming back to this car, and this forum for validation.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have an 8 yr old Sunfire that hasn't had any major issues other then usual stuff that wears out like tires, brake pads etc. My grand father had a Firebird, Grand Am and a Bonnieville for quite a while, never had any problems. I think the negative image of Pontiac is that most people drive either a Honda or a Toyota these days.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM’s scores on both initial and long term quality studies have been steadily climbing the last few years, and now rival some of the top makes in the industry.

The Solstice is an all new from the ground up design, employing GM’s latest design, engineering, and assembly technology and procedures.

GM has been delaying the start of production of the car, over a month now, just so they can be sure they have all the potential bugs and trouble spots worked out before starting production and putting cars on the streets. This despite the fact they had a chance to have these cars on the roads by the start of summer (two days ago) and trump the introduction of the NC MX-5 Miata by a couple months.

In other words, I think this car will be one of GM’s best yet.

Of course, on any new model, there will be some bugs and glitches that come out once a large number of cars are in the publics hands. No amount of testing will catch everything. So those concerned may want to wait a year (same goes for the Miata). Otherwise, I would have no fear buying it.

GM did earn itself a poor reputation for reliability and quality in the past, but they have also done a lot to turn themselves around. Go check one out for yourself and decide on your own. Don’t just buy into the anti GM mentality from someone who owned a bad GM car 10 years ago, or someone online (or a magazine writer) who won’t give GM credit no matter what.

·
5,641 Posts
2005-2006 Pontiac's are built by four different companies in four different countries in 11 different plants. How can any one make a general statement about what a Pontiac is or will be?

Pontiac is a division of General Motors. A marketing division. They do not design or build cars. How can any one make a general statement about what a car is or will be based on what name is on the fender?

General Motors has the highest rated assembly plants for new vehicle quality in North America, they swept the top three positions. Plants that have received part of GM's $18 Billion in US capital investments in the four years of 1999-2002. (or about what Honda, Toyota, and Nissan have spent combined in the 24 years from 1980-2003.)

The world's largest car company has made a promise that this will be quality product that will not be released until it is right. The most recent new car for Pontiac, which was built with the same promise was the 2005 G6. Which happened to win the 2005 Strategic Vision Total Quality Award for the Medium Car segment.

The question shouldn't be "why are you thinking of a Pontiac?", it should be "Why aren't your friends?"

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have an 89 Grand Prix that runs just fine(and I got it for $50 :lol: ) the interior is all bombed out but thats due to poor car care by the last owner, no fault of pontiac, I dont know where these people get their info, but pontiac makes quality cars in my opinion :yesnod:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm willing to try GM again

The last GM car I bought was a new 82 Cavalier. It seemed like a good car for a young married guy with a small child.....WRONG!
I have never seen a more screwed up car in my life....it had numerous problems which resulted in me screaming at the dealership owner on the showroom floor. 24 years later I am willing to give GM another chance. I hope they don't blow it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My '01 Grand Am GT was an excellent car, in all ways. As for it being a rattle trap ... just don't bring any todlers along! :lol:

·
Registered
167 Posts
You can't compare a car built in the 80's to today's venicles. Even Hondas back in the 80's were junk. I had a 1981 Honda Accord. It rusted out and the interior fell apart. Mechanically, it was great. My sister had 2 Grand Prix's (late 80's/early 90's)(company cars). She told me they were the best cars she ever had. My friend had a 1985 Grand Prix which he put over 250,000 miles on it with no problems. I work with someone that bought a new Honda Civic. She has had it less than a year and the transmission is gone (luckily she is covered by the warranty). I think GM can compete with anyone now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had my Grand Prix GTP now for 3 years with absolutely no problems. Prior to this car, I had a Grand Prix GT which ran great.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
2 words...Bob Lutz.

The guy personally championed this car from day 1 (almost his first day on job in current role at GM in 2001). When someone like him puts their rep on the line it's a different ball game.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My previous car was a 96 Grand Prix. The transmission went out, but that was probably more of the drivers fault than the car. :yesnod:

Currently, I'm driving an 1988 Buick Century. It was my Grandmothers. After a year of torture, it's puring along like a kitten.

Actually, all of my cars have been GM, except the first...79 Ford Granda, it was a hand-me-down from my sister. Honestly, it was a great car too.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wasn't Bob Lutz moved???

I was under the impression that Bob Lutz was moved to oversee European sales? I too had/have confidence in BL but not sure how much say he has in this today??? Maybe I am just misinformed?

·
5,641 Posts
wannasolstice2 said:
I was under the impression that Bob Lutz was moved to oversee European sales?
In early April Mr. Lutz was put in charge of Global Product Development. There was a time a year or two ago, where he was filling in in Europe while they were appointing a new head man.

Here is part of his GM bio:
Robert A. Lutz

GM Vice Chairman,
Global Product Development

Robert A. Lutz was named General Motors vice chairman of product development on September 1, 2001. On November 13, 2001, he was named chairman of GM North America and served in that capacity until April 4, 2005, when he assumed responsibility for Global Product Development. He also served as president of GM Europe on an interim basis from March to June 2004.

mceb said:
I assume he's still in charge of North American product too? Global to me is everywhere
I would make the same assumption.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Small Dealer said:
In early April Mr. Lutz was put in charge of Global Product Development. There was a time a year or two ago, where he was filling in in Europe while they were appointing a new head man.
I assume he's still in charge of North American product too? Global to me is everywhere.

Even if not in charge, his mark is heavily on this car during development period last couple of years.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Bob Lutz in one of his most recent blog entries talked about how he was driving development mules for the Solstice, G6 GTP coupe, and one other upcoming vehicle to test them out, search for problems, etc. Since he is spending time in these vehicles, he must still be keeping an eye on US products and therefore, Global would include US and overseas products.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have been a loyal Pontiac fan since the 70's and I get tired of the "you gotta have a foregin car" crowd I wish someone would ask what the problem with Pontiac is when confronted with the DON'T DO IT IS A PONTIAC statement is made I would like to know what their problem is. I bet most have never had one and I get the impression they are shallow people that only look at status symbles.

·
Registered
381 Posts
spyderone said:
You can't compare a car built in the 80's to today's venicles. Even Hondas back in the 80's were junk. I had a 1981 Honda Accord. It rusted out and the interior fell apart. Mechanically, it was great.
I thought it was just me. My first brand new car was a 1978 Honda Civic CVCC, 5-speed. It ate waterpumps for breakfast & I had to rebuild the carburetor 2 or 3 times. I had to get it repainted because of poor factory paint when it was about 4 years old. When I traded it in 1985 with 70,000-something miles the door hinges were so worn that you had to slam them 2 or 3 times.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
When I was 17, I slid - at less than 15-mph - into a '78 Civic w/ my '71 Duster :devil:

The Duster suffered a crumpled left fender (easily mushed back into shape w/ a sledge hammer) - the Civic, on the other hand, was fataily wounded :nopity: as the entire rear-end of the car folded into itself :lol:

·
5,600 Posts
My Chevy Silverado has no significant squeeks or rattles. The biggest noise in the cabin is the passenger seat-belt insert bouncing off the side of the cab. Other than that, it has been remarkably tight and this is a truck. I am sure the passenger cars are even better.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts