Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for factory head unit

Monsoon, 6 disc, XM
It does not have to be unlocked (I am willing to be robbed by my dealership) but it would be nice if it was.

My current Monsoon, single disc, XM stopped playing CDs and that is no good.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have never played a cd in mine. I have a Bluetooth adapter plugged into the Aux Input jack. I use that to play music from my phone. It works great, and I have a much larger music library at my finger tips.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am happy to hear that you enjoy your MP3 quality sound.

Still seeking factory head unit, 6 disc, monsoon, XM... not sure if the 09 Bluetooth unit will work in an '08.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Still seeking factory head unit, 6 disc, monsoon, XM... not sure if the 09 Bluetooth unit will work in an '08.
Just to be clear, the factory 09 Bluetooth addition is part of the OnStar VCIM controller box and NOT part of the radio/MP3 head unit. So getting an 09 radio will NOT give you Bluetooth.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Just to be clear, the factory 09 Bluetooth addition is part of the OnStar VCIM controller box and NOT part of the radio/MP3 head unit. So getting an 09 radio will NOT give you Bluetooth.
If i swap that onstar vcim into a 08 solstice with onstar will i get bluetooth functionality? Is there a part number for this vcim? Can i play audio through bluetooth?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am happy to hear that you enjoy your MP3 quality sound.

You might want to check out Sony Walkman MP3 players before you make snide comments about MP3 players. Whatever you do, don't look into Bluetooth adapters that plug into your Aux Input jack. It would be terrible to lose any audio quality in a convertible.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
If i swap that onstar vcim into a 08 solstice with onstar will i get bluetooth functionality? Is there a part number for this vcim? Can i play audio through bluetooth?
Multi-part answer:

1 If you swap a (used) Bluetooth VCIM into your car, you will get Bluetooth functionality, but you need to go to a dealer to have it reset to your car (or OnStar won't work and you'll have a red LED indicator ON permanently on your mirror.
2 If you get a new (not used) unit, you it will learn your car on installation and won't need dealer reset. HOWEVER, it has proven impossible to get new Sol/Sky 09 VCIMs, except as failure replacements.
3 There are other cars out there with Bluetooth VCIMs that semi-compatible in our cars, that's what I did. But see 1 above with the caveat that a dealer cannot make OnStar work in these cases.
4 There is a guy out there that can re-program used VCIMs to make them like new 09 units, which are plug and play with our cars (sorry I forget who - you'll have to search - and he may not still be doing this).

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
TS you may be thinking of Chris White of White Automotive and Media Services. He did the reprogramming on several models of VCIMs. Last I knew he no longer offers this service. He still has a website but it appears to be inactive.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to check out Sony Walkman MP3 players before you make snide comments about MP3 players. Whatever you do, don't look into Bluetooth adapters that plug into your Aux Input jack. It would be terrible to lose any audio quality in a convertible.
I do not make passive aggressive "snide" comments. I was honestly glad you enjoy whatever format you listen to your music in. If I ever have something negative to say you will not have to read anything into it.
MP3 file structure is what it is, and one of those things that it "is" is not for me.
This is a thread in which I was looking for a used factory head unit. Although I enjoyed reading about your setup and its greater capability when it comes to quantity of music, it really did not help me find a used head unit.
I do, however, appreciate the bump for this thread.

Meanwhile, it seems like the thread has taken on a life of its own and I am learning even more about the factory system and what is compatible. Thank you, TS. If I continue to pursue a factory head unit (my recent conversation with the local stealership has me doubting their ability to finish the job) I will keep in mind the extra work involved should I want a functional Bluetooth system.
That being said, looking more for an unlocked unit now.

·
Registered
256 Posts
MP3 file structure is what it is, and one of those things that it "is" is not for me.
You really ought to check out Sony Walkman MP3 players.
They go up to 256gb of the following formats.
AAC (Non-DRM), AIFF, ALAC, DSD, FLAC, HE-AAC, Linear PCM, MP3, WMA (Non-DRM)
It's not just MP3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts