Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Solstice mean yellow
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what part of the continent you are located, but in Montreal things are getting serious. Only gas stations drugstores, grocery stores and of course the gov't liquor stores are open. As of Saturday night groceries are close on Sunday to give employees a rest. Travel between various regions of the province are restricted and I expect that the city of Montreal will be closed off soon as we have the largest number of infected. God knows when I will get my car out of storage. it's in secure lock up in an old folks residence and no one is allowed to visit.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice mean yellow
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys, Keep your heads down and self isolate. It's the only way we can beat this. Only listen to Dr. Fauci. Science is our best bet.

·
Registered
2007 Sky Redline
18 Posts
The normally quiet island life has really slowed down! The only other places that are open are places that do take out or delivery. When this is over we had better watch out because people are going to go nuts whith the freedom! Everyone stay safe.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Had to PU a prescription yesterday and on the way home drove by a government liquor store and saw all the people lining up (albeit with some space between them) at opening time. There would probably be an uprising if they closed the booze outlets here or in the US!

We are learning to take things slower. Have a few Acers (maples) to plant, Instead of doing that the day they came home as we used to, we go out and look at them some, scratch our heads, talk about where we might plant them have a break for tea, go for a walk and decide to think about the tree again the next day. If we remember. It's like being super retired and taking your time.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Had to PU a prescription yesterday and on the way home drove by a government liquor store and saw all the people lining up (albeit with some space between them) at opening time. There would probably be an uprising if they closed the booze outlets here or in the US!

We are learning to take things slower. Have a few Acers (maples) to plant, Instead of doing that the day they came home as we used to, we go out and look at them some, scratch our heads, talk about where we might plant them have a break for tea, go for a walk and decide to think about the tree again the next day. If we remember. It's like being super retired and taking your time.
Liquor stores in my county are no longer taking real money, only plastic for hygienic reasons. strange, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Yeah - don't want to handle money from who knows where.

The liquor stores here will run things through one at a time as separate transactions as long as it is under $100 - you can tap without having to input your code - is it the same amount down there?

·
Super Moderator
7,147 Posts
Yeah - don't want to handle money from who knows where.

The liquor stores here will run things through one at a time as separate transactions as long as it is under $100 - you can tap without having to input your code - is it the same amount down there?
Most places here use an insertion-type reader for the chip. Credit cards process with no additional input, but debit cards require a PIN. I haven't seen as many "tap" options.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Interesting. Up here the card readers have the option (up to $100) to just tap or wave the card closely over the reader with no PIN with credit cards. Insertion only required above that

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Interesting. Up here the card readers have the option (up to $100) to just tap or wave the card closely over the reader with no PIN with credit cards. Insertion only required above that
Requires the cards to have embedded RFID chips, which are only now catching on slowly down here.

Personally, I use Samsung Pay on my cellphone which uses the same 'wave over' technology. Also the Samsung phones include magnetic coil hardware that emulates the card being swiped through the reader, so even if the vendor does not have a chip reader you can use it as a credit payment. You just hover the phone over the stripe reader pickup.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I didn't realize that they hadn't fully implemented the chips in the US. We started to get them in 2006!
I was in France in about 2008 and all of their cards had chips. They had credit only gas stations with no personnel present and my Visa card didn't yet have a chip so no gas available (Mastercard was the first to push the technology up here).

I am kind of amazed that the US still doesn't have them as standard in 2020

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I didn't realize that they hadn't fully implemented the chips in the US. We started to get them in 2006!
I was in France in about 2008 and all of their cards had chips. They had credit only gas stations with no personnel present and my Visa card didn't yet have a chip so no gas available (Mastercard was the first to push the technology up here).

I am kind of amazed that the US still doesn't have them as standard in 2020
Don't be amazed. Seems that the US is behind the curve on a lot of things these days.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
As far as tapping the card, most places around here are now allowing you to tap for a purchase up to $250.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
As far as tapping the card, most places around here are now allowing you to tap for a purchase up to $250.
Darned affluent Easterners! Haven't raised it out West yet.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Just read that the limits are being raised from $100 to $250 so people who prefer to tap may do so in the present situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts