Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, everyone. I am seeking advice, for a few issue that the car has had for a while now. I really want to avoid the dealer. Unless its absolutely necessary. Dont feel like it is yet i feel i can do more for my car. If anyone may help me with all the question i would be grateful. And, in hopes that this info as well might help a fellow kapa owner.

I will be posting some videos of all the issues. as soon as i get all of them recorded and loaded.

GXP
Manual

CAR ISSUES:

1) When in 2 Gear, somewhere in the dashboard or shifter knob something rattles. Only happens in 2 Gear.

2) With light Engine Rev. where the fuel injectors connector is you can hear electrical ticking. The fuel injector connector when touching feels like its sparking. It can also be hear when driving. ( i can hear it by opening the hood as i drive as i accelerate it does tend to get louder.)

3) When rev engine in front of the engine where coolant pipe goes thru when the rev goes down after light throttle you can hear a whistle sound.

4) From passenger side you can hear like a rattle/squeaking noise if you lean towards ground you can hear it more. (water pump, belt) This tends to happen when car car is cold. but does happen intermittent. the wound also can be heard it i lean towards the engine from passenger side.

6) When a/c on you can hear a howling sound for a few seconds then goes away. (like a high pitch sound, if something is turning)

7)Loud Whining sound when a/c is on.

9) when letting go of throttle you hear turbo flutter(compressor surge)

10) when ac is on, when acceleration you hear like a high pitch screeching sound. it comes and goes. (comes when accelerating) also go back to issue 6

11) With ac on. when driving the car sound like its supper charged. Sound tends to be loud

START FROM 0:32

·
Premium Member
3,950 Posts
as far as I know, #3 is normal. I've had that whistle from day 1 on the GXP. My N/A did not have it. Other threads indicate that this is
the way the turbo is.

anybody else comment on this ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@sirwm: I don't think its the turbo because the sound, sounds diffrent from the actuall turbo whistle sound. I hear the whistle and then after it there's another whistle. Ill try to have it recorded soon.

@chickenwire: Lol, no not all the way open. I did think of that to check where noise is comming from. But I do just pop the hood just it bit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Everything I heard on your video sounded completely normal to me. The "ticking" sound in the engine compartment is the high pressure direct injection fuel system working normally. The sounds you hear from the air conditioner is, unfortunately, normal with a lot of our cars. Don't think it means anything is wrong, as in about to break. The rattles are not a mechanical problem, likely, but i know they can be annoying. The whistle sound is, I believe, from the blow off value (BOV) and is normal for a turbo-charged vehicle.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I suggest you sell it and buy a Miata. Much quieter car.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
1. take the dash apart and trace down the noise
2. ticking is normal
3. normal
4. possibly normal
5. what happened to 5?!?
6. normal
7. normal
8. what happened to 8?!?
9. its the noise from the bypass valve, its not surge and its normal
10. normal
11. see answers 3/6/7/10

Or just use these...

·
Registered
608 Posts
1) suggest you look at the visor mirror (driver's side). I had that sound as well, but just before I was going to take the dash apart, I slid open the visor mirror, drove awhile, and wah lah, the rattle went away. It only happened in 2nd gear. I leave the visor mirror open all the time now. I don't even notice it is open.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your feed back.

I know due to high fuel pressure it ticks. Is it also normal for the noise to be coming from the manifold or like the whire that connects to fuel injector?

As for the BOV. It lets out the air. Then really light you hear a fait after sound. Is that normal?

The thing with the ticking. When i hit a pot hole the noise started. Like if something broke looks and just rattling. inside.
#4 I never had that issue till it started on its on.

as for the video start it around 0:39
You hear the exhaust then when it lets go its does this ugly muffled sound is this normal?
the reason i ask is becasue ive never heard it.

Another thing a pop sound when shiffting form 1st to 2nd. What can that be?

@shaby 5 and 8 was just saying you can hear the noise with top down. So i just removed it but didnt edit the numbers.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shabby, you can be right. Its just the fact ive never heard those noises and ive had the car for a while now.

In this vid you hear the ticking but right after it like a whistling noise. does it several times.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That is not normal, sounds like broken valve spring, valve slap or something cylinder related.

If you hold a screw driver against the head above any of the cylinders is the vibration inline with the noise or louder above a particular cylinder?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
in this one its the high pitch rattle. I was talking about in the passanger side In can be heart around 20 feet away. I know some might think its the BOV. Im 100% sure its not. Ill try to get a better one soon. You start to heart it at 0:23

·
Registered
278 Posts
a long handled screwdriver held against various metal parts will transfer the vibration into your hand (or ear if your hands aren't sensitive enough or vibration is faint enough). I'd try in various spots on the inside of the fuel rails on the top of the headcover, Check any other areas too. Vibration will change with rpms but if you can tell a big difference between one spot and other, or big change from idle to higher rpm it may point to the problem (ie you can check alternator,turbo, exhaust or intake components, etc as well).

The first vid sounded like regular noises but there is a rattle that I don't think is normal in the second vid.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Any carbon (black soot) around the exhaust manifold and turbo connection? That last vid just sounds wheezy, not as rattlely as the second vid. Pressure will build here a little with rpm, to spool up the exhaust turbine. If there is a very small leak I can see making that wheezey sound with engine revs if you have already ruled out BOV.

Once the exhaust is hot, I could see a good jar from a pothole cause a gap between the exhaust and exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is black soot around it. On the turbo manifold i havent checked it.

As the weezy wound could be that there is a leat them around the exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
It is way to difficult to arm chair diagnose a sound of that nature from a video:

You could have something internal with the engine (IE: broken valve spring, broken lifter, etc.). Or it could be something as simple as a worn serpentine belt that is vibrating on a pulley. Or the alternator could have a bearing going out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well still having issues when you blimp the throttle you hear like a chirp noise i can hear it mostley coming from the passenger side. However i did find out that the car has to warm up in order to not do it. For example today it was doing it. about 89 degrees outside. cars temp normal at about 183-185 and it was still doing the noise but after a few min driving it stopped and i tried to make the noise happen again. but it didnt becasue the car was warm enough already.

I did check both belts and powerstering belt had a big crack in it and the main belt had little small cracks on it. So i replaced both of them thinking the noise would be gone but no its still there. i was thinking maybe tensioner(that connects to power steering when i replaced this belt the tenstioner felt that i didnt have to apply much force to move it back), water pump( even though car doesnt over heat) or maybe the crank pulley perhaps. Witch leads to my next question I did check out the crank pulley and looks like it wobbles. This isnt normal is it? Ive tried searching for related issues on solstice but found nothing. I did find that people with the G8 GXP had the same issue.
Please help. My warranty is about to expire and want to make sure if its an engine issue i can take car of it before it really cost me.
Thank you

Annnd as of today still getting that electrical ticking sound. coming form the area where manifold is. (This issue started when i fell in a pot hole.)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts