Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*UPDATING* Items to inspect when buying used Solstice.

I think now would be a good time to start a checklist of possible problem areas on the Solstice for future used car buyers. Since the car is new now would be when the first problems will appear and we should make a record of them:

1) Leaking shocks
2) Push button for top doesn't work in glovebox consistently
3) #20 Connector in ECU harness contracts in cold breaking connection immobolizes the car
4) Leaky trim seals in trunk area
5) Power window problem some were built with the wiring harness to the main switch on the driver door not pushed in all the way and they worked their way out.
6) Passenger-side buttress sometimes won't close in cold weather.
7) Passenger and driver side buttress sometimes wont open in cold weather also.
8) Check the rear diff for leaking from a possibly not set correctly reliefe valve.
9) Leaking differential seal

Keep posting and hopefully we can get a good size check list stickied.

Keeping body damage/shipping stuff out of this, that should fall under normal used car inspection, just nailing down Solstice specific issues.

·
4,592 Posts
Good topic, I'm having mine inspected this weekend or next.

Questions:

1) Leaking shocks - obvious
2) Push button for top doesn't work - which button - glove or FOB?
3) #20 Connector in ECU harness - How, what is there to have them check?
4) Leaky trim seals - Are these the windos seals? Or other seals

I'll add:

Check the rear end for leaks, it was speculated it was the pinion, turned out to be the relief valve.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Passenger-side buttress sometimes won't close in cold weather.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
smartin said:
Passenger-side buttress sometimes won't close in cold weather.
Passenger and driver side buttress sometimes wont open in cold weather also.

Check the rear diff for leaking from a possibly not set correctly reliefe valve.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Check for repaint of body panels due to 1) transport damage, 2) dealer damage, 3) driver error.

Especially check trunk and hood for chips and other issues from improper opening and closing. And check below front valence to see that all parts are still there and not left behind at a low clearance driveway or curb.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agreed, I bought my solstice without realizing that it had been in an accident prior to purchase. It was a dumb buy and now I am looking to trade it in for a GXP

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
bottom front quarter panels for lifting CRUNCH
taka hose to it check for top leaks
the obvious....
...but why not have a PRO..mechanic and body man...DOUBLE CHECK for you....someone more apt to SEE......come back and tell us what the pros checked

1 - 9 of 9 Posts