Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live about 10 miles from Harrisburg, PA. The Harrisburg car show is this week, the Philadelphia car show is next week. I planned on going to the Philadelphia show because I never figured the Solstice would show up at the Harrisburg show which consists mostly of local dealers showing their stock. I woke up this morning to find a story in the paper about the car show and, lo and behold, there's a picture of the Solstice!!! Looks like one of the silver cars, can't tell much more from the picture. The paper carried a quote from someone at the show: "I like the way the top folds back into the back - you don't see anything there. I like the way the instruments are laid out."

I don't have a great camera, but I'll try to get in today (last day of show) and get some pics.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Hey, maybe they won't control the 'bots so tightly there. You should see if you can't get them to show you the trunk, or the mystery compartment behind the passanger's seat!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thats cool! They are showing it at some smaller shows now! Maybe there is hope I will get one here in Buffalo after all. :cool

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing New

Well, I'm back from the show. The Solstice was there, up on a stand, so I couldn't get close. No one there knew much about the car, except that production will start in May, with cars in the showroom in June.

I'm pretty sure that the car was one of the concept vehicles. No antenna of any sort, single color gray interior. They did open the trunk for me, using one of the chrome buttons as a lifting point. The hump was there, but they had no idea what it covered. They pushed on it, and it seemed to give about an inch, which puzzled me. Why wouldn't the carpeting be glued directly to whatever is underneath it?

After looking at the car, I'm coming to the reluctant conclusion that the hump probably does cover the gas tank. I can't figure out why it's shaped the way it is, or why Pontiac can't do a cleaner job of integrating the gas tank, but I'm not an engineer and maybe it has something to do with costs.

Given the hump, I thought that the trunk had a little more room and was more accessible than I expected. The space behind the hump seemed pretty big, all things considered.

My pictures turned out very dark and don't show anything new, so I doubt that I'll bother posting them. Plus I don't know how.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
What does everythone think of this... the hump has a three-fold purpose. One thing under it is the gas tank. However, there is space between the tank and the top of the hump, hence the give, which is where the tire inflation kit is loacted to fix a flat (since there is no space). Finally, it provides a resting spot for the rear window glass when the top is down.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by mceb :
Wow, palmer they opened the trunk at a show?
They didn't hesitate at all! I just wish they had actually known something about the car. :rolleyes

·
Registered
621 Posts
palmer said:
I'm pretty sure that the car was one of the concept vehicles. No antenna of any sort, single color gray interior. They did open the trunk for me, using one of the chrome buttons as a lifting point. The hump was there, but they had no idea what it covered. They pushed on it, and it seemed to give about an inch, which puzzled me. Why wouldn't the carpeting be glued directly to whatever is underneath it?
Can't believe you missed the antenna on it, stands out out pretty bad. Almost thought that I was imagining hump giving when she pressed it, glad to see I'm not going crazy. One of the reps there mentioned that late February dealers should have all the information for pricing. He was saying that delievery should be late June or earlier July. He had a chance to sit in it and said that the side view mirrors were almost eye level (he's 5'6").

Was kind of disappointed that Sky didn't make it to the 'burg. Talked to one of Saturn reps and he said that both the Sky and Aura will be at Philly.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
So, judging by your posts, I'll assume this one didn't have a top in the trunk, either?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts