Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found my dream car on eBay last week and bought a one-way flight about 500 miles to pick it up. I have NO hard feelings at all towards my dealer, Pontiac, GM or anyone on this web site but the car I've wanted for 2 years finally became within my budget so I snapped it up.

What did I get? A 2003 Mercedes-Benz SL 500, Diamond Silver with wood trim, the navigation package, and 18000 miles. I know its a gas hog but it's pure luxury and I'm finally at the point where I can afford it. They sell for $95,000 new but I got mine for $71,000 So, if anyone wants the Solstice that I ordered, call Star Pontiac in Leesburg, VA. I ordered a Sly one with everything except the ABS brakes. It should be there any day now.

I have no buyers remorse other than hearing about the layoffs today. Atleast I didn't buy a brand new one, so I didn't contribute to bringing a non-American car into the country. I did, however, contribute to the used-Mercedes market. So now I have a car I can't drive in the winter because it's too valuable.

Edit:Scroll down about a page of messages to see pictures.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
PoorGreg said:
I found my dream car on eBay last week and bought a one-way flight about 500 miles to pick it up. I have NO hard feelings at all towards my dealer, Pontiac, GM or anyone on this web site but the car I've wanted for 2 years finally became within my budget so I snapped it up.

What did I get? A 2003 Mercedes-Benz SL 500, Diamond Silver with wood trim, the navigation package, and 18000 miles. I know its a gas hog but it's pure luxury and I'm finally at the point where I can afford it. They sell for $95,000 new but I got mine for $71,000 So, if anyone wants the Solstice that I ordered, call Star Pontiac in Leesburg, VA. I ordered a Sly one with everything except the ABS brakes. It should be there any day now.

I have no buyers remorse other than hearing about the layoffs today. Atleast I didn't buy a brand new one, so I didn't contribute to bringing a non-American car into the country. I did, however, contribute to the used-Mercedes market. So now I have a car I can't drive in the winter because it's too valuable.
"." If you can find a better car buy it

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
hey that IS a nice car. Congratulations on the purchase! :lurk:

·
4,592 Posts
poorgreg, don't sound so poor to me :lol:

Best of luck, enjoy!

·
Registered
976 Posts
It really does amaze me how many people are chosing a much more expensive car as their second option. Just out of curiousity, what made you decide to buy a used Mercedes, as opposed to Cadillac's competition model, the XLR, for a similar price, brand new?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Enjoy, I'm sure it's an awesome car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cadillacricket said:
It really does amaze me how many people are chosing a much more expensive car as their second option. Just out of curiousity, what made you decide to buy a used Mercedes, as opposed to Cadillac's competition model, the XLR, for a similar price, brand new?

"Ignorance" is the best word I can come up with! I have no idea what the XLR looks like or what it's worth or if it's better than an SL. Sorry!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Those are beautiful cars. Cricket is correct i his assesment. But the car you have there is georgeous. Congratulations. Now GET OUT!!!!! HAHAHA Just Kiddin :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a pic of the SL 500. Notice how it's silver with a touch of blue, a kind of periwinkle blue. I was unable to add it to the "Other Rides" gallery after 15 minutes, so I hope this suffices!

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
PoorGreg said:
Here's a pic of the SL 500. Notice how it's silver with a touch of blue, a kind of periwinkle blue. I was unable to add it to the "Other Rides" gallery after 15 minutes, so I hope this suffices!
Nice ride!! :yesnod: Very Head Turning Too!(just waaayyyyy out of my $$ range!)

·
Registered
542 Posts
When I see you on the roads around Leesburg, I will be giving you a thumbs up!!!

Enjoy your ride.

·
5,600 Posts
A car of stunning though understated beauty, with the high performance to match, while having outstanding comfort. I don't think GM builds a car or ever has built a car that is in the SL500's league.

Congratulations on achieving your dream. That is among the greatest things in life. Not the owning of stuff - but the fullfulment of dreams.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
But if you took the emblems off and park them side by side, you would be surprise probably how many people would think both cars are in the same $ figure.
We know better but the Solstice looks do match this car.

·
Registered
976 Posts
jimbo said:
A car of stunning though understated beauty, with the high performance to match, while having outstanding comfort. I don't think GM builds a car or ever has built a car that is in the SL500's league.

Congratulations on achieving your dream. That is among the greatest things in life. Not the owning of stuff - but the fullfulment of dreams.
No offense, but you obviously haven't been looking that close. I know that Since I am a cadillac salesman that I sound bias, but the guy that bought our last XLR had owned a Merc. previously, and he concurs with my thoughts.

The only thing that the mercedes had over the cadillac was braking, but is that really worth the extra 30k? I say no! If you still have a doubt, I implore you to take a drive down to your local cadillac store, and take a closer look.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
PoorGreg said:
Greg: Great second choice although the SL500 would have been my first choice if given the opportunity and the finances. Good luck with a beautiful car !.

·
5,600 Posts
cadillacricket said:
No offense, but you obviously haven't been looking that close. I know that Since I am a cadillac salesman that I sound bias, but the guy that bought our last XLR had owned a Merc. previously, and he concurs with my thoughts.

The only thing that the mercedes had over the cadillac was braking, but is that really worth the extra 30k? I say no! If you still have a doubt, I implore you to take a drive down to your local cadillac store, and take a closer look.....
I'll defer to your knowledge, as I haven't driven either car. I know the premier Cadillacs of 2006 have a LOT more power than the SL500s of only a few years ago. If you say they are more smooth, more comfortable, handle better, ride better, are quieter with the top up and are generally better cars, then I stand corrected. I guess I've always had a soft spot for the SL500 but cars have come a ways in only a few years. The Caddy's may very well be better cars. In that case... :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts