Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18 year old daughter is home from school for the weekend. She has been home a few times since I got my Solstice but has never been free (you know how kids are) to go for a drive. Yesterday she and my wife dropped the top and went for a ride in my car. I got a call from my wife telling me that I needed to listen as she held up the phone. My daughter sounded like she was leading the charge up San Juan hill. She was yelling in pure excitement. I got to talk to her a little later when they stopped for awhile. I told her not to listen to the way her mother told her to drive but instead to not make a shift at less than 4000 RPM nor to be afraid of 6000 RPM. She very quickly said "okay!" When she got home my wife told me that my daughter was as crazy am I am (which I of course took as a compliment). She said the ride home was like riding with me, the car seemed to be totally different than when she drives it. My daughter still has a grin on her face. There are probably a lot of things I have taught my daughters, maybe even some of them that were okay, but I think seeing the look on my youngest daughters face after her "full experience" ride was the best. Long live fathers and daughters!!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
There’s nothing more valuable than a dad teaching his daughter how to live and drive. My dad, (1916-1981) used to call me Barney Olfield, who is considered by some to be the greatest race driver of all times. I hear him when I’m winding out: “Who do you think you are, Barney Oldfield?” The pride in his voice was unmistakable.
I think you'd better start saving for a second Solstice. :lol:

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
I'm afraid of the same monster!

My 19 year old son keeps saying he can't wait to drive MY car.

I think he's in for a very long wait even after it arrives :lol:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am happy to hear your daughter enjoyed the Solstice so much. My son will be coming home from college for the Thanksgiving break next weekend. This will be the first time he will see our Solstice. I can't wait for his reaction. He does not know how to drive a manual transmission though, so I guess this will be a learning experience for him too.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
My 18 year old daughter is home from school for the weekend. She has been home a few times since I got my Solstice but has never been free (you know how kids are) to go for a drive. Yesterday she and my wife dropped the top and went for a ride in my car. I got a call from my wife telling me that I needed to listen as she held up the phone. My daughter sounded like she was leading the charge up San Juan hill. She was yelling in pure excitement. I got to talk to her a little later when they stopped for awhile. I told her not to listen to the way her mother told her to drive but instead to not make a shift at less than 4000 RPM nor to be afraid of 6000 RPM. She very quickly said "okay!" When she got home my wife told me that my daughter was as crazy am I am (which I of course took as a compliment). She said the ride home was like riding with me, the car seemed to be totally different than when she drives it. My daughter still has a grin on her face. There are probably a lot of things I have taught my daughters, maybe even some of them that were okay, but I think seeing the look on my youngest daughters face after her "full experience" ride was the best. Long live fathers and daughters!!! :lol:
:cheers: Way to go DAD! That's cool.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My son was last home in September, and I finally got a chance to teach him to shift in the MR2 I am trading for the Solstice. I expect that IF he finishes his thesis by the end of the term at Oregon State, he will be getting to drive my Sol.. maybe ;-)

Now, my daughter, on the other hand, is the one who got a Nascar drive at Dover as a wedding present! And THAT car wasn't fast enough! DO I let her in my Solstice???

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any daughter who wanted a NASCAR drive for a wedding present is OWED a drive in the Solstice! Let her go for it! :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
There is nothing more rewarding in life than those family momemts, no matter what they are.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Been letting my wife drive mine lately. Now she wants me to get a GXP next year so she can have the base model. :D

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
My 18 year old daughter is home from school for the weekend.
Hmm...

...I am a responsible 19 year old male Solstice lover. :leaving:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
CEEW said:
...He does not know how to drive a manual transmission though...
Pretty serious failure as a parent - fortunately you have a chance to make amends :jester:

OR - you could torture your son like my dad did: I learned to drive in a Chevy pickup - three on the tree :(

Man I hated than truck :cuss:

..at least for the first six months. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I agree... I'll need to get the son out in the F250 Crew with the 5 speed before my car arrives. :agree:

·
Registered
936 Posts
I know what you are saying XMM, my daughter's first time behind the wheel of a car was when she was 15 and it was in my Corvette. Her and I went for a very enjoyable ride on some fun roads the other day and I showed her what fun this car is. When we got home I started teaching her how to drive a standard so she can enjoy it first hand. Being a car nut I love it when kids enjoy a car with their parents.

·
Registered
172 Posts
MAKsys said:
Pretty serious failure as a parent - fortunately you have a chance to make amends :jester:

OR - you could torture your son like my dad did: I learned to drive in a Chevy pickup - three on the tree :(

Man I hated than truck :cuss:

..at least for the first six months. :lol:
Huh, never really thought of myself as a serious failure as a parent before. Guess I was concentrating too much on things like don't do drugs, do well in school, be a good person, etc.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Both of my daughters, especially the oldest believes the redline is where you are supposed to shift :) She drives her Mitch Spider hard. Funny thing is she drives her boyfriend's 99 Mustang cobra the same way, yet I have never heard her spin a tire not even between gears..... Me on the other hand have had it sideways squeeling like a baby :lol:

·
Registered
401 Posts
My son who is in the Air Force has asked to take #507 back to base in the spring for acouple of weeks. Both my wife, who's car it is and myself have told him no problem. He should have fun driving it in the spring in the Black Hills and Custer State Park, South Dakota.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You just know he's going to be the most popular guy at Ellsworth AFB. :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I need clutches

I have been teaching my 17 year old son to drive the new sol, the first 5-speed since he has been old enough to drive. After a couple times out, we got out onto some back roads in Wisconsin. We were coming up to a "25 mph" curve, and I said, "You know, you do not necessarily need to slow down, the car can handle this curve". From the look on his face through the curve, I could see he just realizing how much fun driving can be.

From the original post, I won't tell him to live between 4-6k rpm for a couple years.

BTW, after our first lessons, I bet I need a new clutch before anyone else. I wonder if it will come with a little plastic plaque.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
POTFH said:
My son who is in the Air Force has asked to take #507 back to base in the spring for acouple of weeks. Both my wife, who's car it is and myself have told him no problem. He should have fun driving it in the spring in the Black Hills and Custer State Park, South Dakota.
Wow! Are you guys vying for "Solstice Parents of the Year?" :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts