Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I am overthinking this. Is there a particular order to be followed when jacking up the car with a jack and stands with the intention of having all four wheels off at once? For example, I jacked the car up today on the driver's side front fender jacking point. I pulled the wheel off and put a jack stand under the most forward front wishbone placement point. OK. All good.
So, I am wondering, what will happen when I move to the rear driver's side jacking point? When I lift the rear, will the front of the car be lifted off of the front wishbone jackstand and come crashing down? Should I do both rear wheels first and then move to the front? Vice versa? :smash:

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
All you need to do is lift the car from the front tied own slot using a puck. The entire side will raise. Put stands under the front hard point and the rear hard point. Lower the car onto the teo stands, then move the jack to the other side front lift point and raise the car again. Put two stands under it and lower the car onto the stands. You are done

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By tie down slot do you mean the slot on "fender," where I cut 1" off a 3" puck, or do you mean some other place? If you mean some other place I have studied the jacking posts and I know where to find the picture. Thanks again for helping me.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. These are the two spots on the passenger side. These are the points you mean, right? Put the jack on the front one and the whole side will raise enough to put stands on the wishbone hard points, front and rear, right?

Passenger Rear

Passenger front.

·
Registered
42 Posts
if a person doesn't have a puck, what is the handy, around the house solution?

that is what can I use for a puck between now and the time I find a puck?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I piece of oak works. If you are careful with placement you can lift it without a spacer
:agree: That's what I did, lift without a puck or wood spacer. Just make sure no part of the jack touches the fender panels.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Use the search.
I have put a lot of these cars in the air.
Does not sound like you know what you are doing.
Very eazy to get hurt.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, admitted, I'm probably not the tangiest nerd in the box, but I'm fairly certain I have the basic operation of my floor jack worked out.

I mean, we are talking about picking up a car here. It's not like I'm trying to reconstruct a cow.

Through most of the cars I've owned (all of them probably) I have never used a "puck" I understand what it is, at least in the sense of a customized apparatus that fits in to the lil' hole there to disperse the weight a bit. In the past I have always just used a chunk of 2x4, it never occured to me that there was a special thing made for this purpose, and I was just verifying that it wasn't something that was exclusive and that a 2x4 would cause a problem.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Well, admitted, I'm probably not the tangiest nerd in the box, but I'm fairly certain I have the basic operation of my floor jack worked out.

I mean, we are talking about picking up a car here. It's not like I'm trying to reconstruct a cow.

Through most of the cars I've owned (all of them probably) I have never used a "puck" I understand what it is, at least in the sense of a customized apparatus that fits in to the lil' hole there to disperse the weight a bit. In the past I have always just used a chunk of 2x4, it never occured to me that there was a special thing made for this purpose, and I was just verifying that it wasn't something that was exclusive and that a 2x4 would cause a problem.
The 'official' pucks are just ones that fit. It's not that they're needed to disperse load, just to act as a spacer to avoid crushing the bottom edges of the fenders with the jack. A piece of sturdy 1/2" or 3/4" ply will do well. Probably better not to use pine as it could split.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This Can't Be Right

Yes:thumbs::agree:
I've finished my rotation and cleaning up my rims and calipers, so there is no panic. The car is back together and on the road.

Sorry, but this picture is not cutting it for me.

Here is where I put my stands. This cannot be right. I struggled to get them here.

Except to place the stands and pull them, I was not under the car.

What am I missing? :willy:

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Looks like you are using the wrong A-arm ends. The ones you want are the front mounts (nearer the cabin) with the flat plate across the bottom. Not the rearmost mounts that are open. Plus I would use a square of birch ply between that flat plat and the stands to avoid marring the paint/metal.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I disagree. On several of these older posts where there are links and pictures, here is what I get. It might be luck of the draw; I'm not a very good card player either.

"Page not found

The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:
If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

- Click the Back button in your browser to try another link.
- Use a search engine like Google to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found"

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like you are using the wrong A-arm ends. The ones you want are the front mounts (nearer the cabin) with the flat plate across the bottom. Not the rearmost mounts that are open. Plus I would use a square of birch ply between that flat plat and the stands to avoid marring the paint/metal.
Thanks. That helps. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
Interesting

The link works fine for me

Solstice Jack and lifting points

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

suggest we all print this out and keep in the glove compartments..there are specific lift points for the solstice in the GM technical services online available at the dealers..one of our forum members posted this back in Mar...suggest we all review it

I received some information on Jacking and lifting my Solstice from my dealer.
They had to look this up on line (GM Techinical Services).

http://users.rcn.com/daniel.thompson...20Page 1.pdf
http://users.rcn.com/daniel.thompson...20Page 2.pdf

The lift pads are made by SPX Kent-Moore for GM.

and from Small Dealer:

There is NO letter from GM telling Pontiac dealerships to only put the Solstice on any specific type of lift or to avoid any specific type of lift.

I did double check the Solstice Service Manual, Solstice Service Bulletins and a search of active and archived GM Messenger messeges (using Solstice with lift, lifting or hoist).

The only thing from GM are the "Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle" instructions in the Solstice Service Manual, as PAO found.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts