Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed fabricating jacking pucks. Purchased (4) hockey pucks from Dick's Sporting goods $1.29 each. Picked up from Home Depot (4) 5/16 x3 Eye Bolts and (4) 5/16 Tee nuts. The front pucks needed a portion of the puck cut off too clear the front rocker panel. Total for material was 10.00 and one hour of work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I posted this many times on the forum. As a new member try searching for information as some of us have been on here for years and have covered many of topics that you new folks are just finding out. It may save you a lot of effort.
However sometimes the search is hard to figure out so just ask the question.
You will find that everyone here is always willing to help each other out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107570407804836412180/LIFTINGPUCKS#

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi You have my attention after fighting with my low slung chassis. Could you send me a photo or two of the jacking pucks you fabricated? I want to do this and pictures would be helpful in the trial/error phase. Now that you have them, any changes you would make or are they a great solution as is? Thanks, Michael

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,195 Posts
Now that you have acquired or made your own jacking pucks, the following document and pics will show you where GM thinks you should use them, note that the front tie-down area is not a recommended lift point. All of the following should be considered as "for what it's worth". The printout is from the service manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I only have service at a place where you drive the car on ramps. Will not accept the chance of any pucks, planks, or gerry-rig.

Mitch:cool:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,195 Posts
I only have service at a place where you drive the car on ramps. Will not accept the chance of any pucks, planks, or gerry-rig.

Mitch:cool:
But then, we've had 6 years to figure these thing out. It took my dealer 5 years before they crushed the bottom of both front fenders in one lift. Twits.

I haven't been back with any of the cars since . . .

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
But then, we've had 6 years to figure these thing out. It took my dealer 5 years before they crushed the bottom of both front fenders in one lift. Twits.

I haven't been back with any of the cars since . . .
It's sad when the Customer knows more than the Service Dept..

·
Registered
118 Posts
they can be lifted just fine on a 2 post lift. the tech just needs to be careful. ive made the mistake, and i learned from it quick. that was before i owned a sol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just a quick note of THANKS to 1puttal who agreed to make me a even better set of Solstice Jacking Pucks based on the post below. The set now includes 5 pucks. Two pucks for the front with cut edges; two round pucks for the rear and a 5th round puck to place on the floor jack ram which adds more clearance and cushioning. These are superior to the metal pucks offered on eBay as they lock into the jacking slots with eyebolts and are hard rubber allowing flex and cushioning against the frame.

If there are other members lacking tools, time and manufacturing experience--PM 1puttal and he will make a full set for you. My jacking concerns are over. GREAT JOB AL!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Just a quick note of THANKS to 1puttal who agreed to make me a even better set of Solstice Jacking Pucks based on the post below. The set now includes 5 pucks. Two pucks for the front with cut edges; two round pucks for the rear and a 5th round puck to place on the floor jack ram which adds more clearance and cushioning. These are superior to the metal pucks offered on eBay as they lock into the jacking slots with eyebolts and are hard rubber allowing flex and cushioning against the frame.

If there are other members lacking tools, time and manufacturing experience--PM 1puttal and he will make a full set for you. My jacking concerns are over. GREAT JOB AL!
Is the 5th one just a straight up hockey puck with nothing done to it? If so, I have a few of those laying around...

I would be slightly concerned about puck-puck contact (especially with the fine dust I have in my garage) as those are fairly smooth surfaces and I'm nto sure how much slip friction they have...

·
Registered
49 Posts
That 5th hockey puck is not drilled or edge cut, but it is roughed up on both sides to remove the slick surface. Some floor jacks have a deep well on the lifting ram. The 5th puck fits into it adding more height and clearance for the jacking pucks locked into the frame slots. Other jack designs have a flatter hydraulic ram which negates the need for the extra height and clearance around the body curvature. 1puttal includes the 5th puck in the set to allow use of either type floor jack design. The weight of the Solstice securely holds the two pucks together on my 2 1/2 ton floor jack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts