Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought there were a few interesting styling cues that looked familiar.

Back chopped in like the Solstice. Put a trout-mouth on the front, but those lines up to that point look familiar.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If you go to the Jaguar site and pan through the F-Type pictures: They have one shot from the side with the wheels, bumpers and rockers off. The frame does look like they may have cloned the Kappa design.

But the really interesting part is that they state the frame is an all aluminum frame, but the total weight of the car exceeds 3500 lbs. Where as the Kappa with a steel frame, is less than 3000 lbs. I didn't check the dimensions, so maybe the Jag is just that much bigger.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's 176" long and a couple inches wider. That and Jag probably has some added weight in the cockpit with sound deadening and gadgets and what not. Motors start at 3litre so maybe a little weight there as well.

They base, which does a 0-60 in 5.1 secs is probably right around a GXP with a tune and has a sticker of $69k, and the next step up you can go to 60 in 4.8 secs. but that's $81k (or GXP with tune and IC).

·
Registered
848 Posts
I just find the prices too much. A competitor would be the mercedes SLK and granted their entry 250 only has 201 HP and does 6.5 to 60, but it's also starting at $42.9k. The 350 has 302HP and goes 5.4secs, and starts at $55.4k. These have a more reasonable 7 speed tranny, except the 250 which is a 6spd manual (jag uses an 8 speed auto). AMG 55 starts at $67,990, 415HP, 4.5 to 60.

It all makes you appreciate the GXP and the weight of the solstice/sky. Granted you can get heated everything, power 20-way seats, a power motor that pulls out your door handle when you want to enter (it's flush in the jag to help with aero supposedly), power rear wing, blah blah blah. Just more junk that adds weight and will cause failure issues over time.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
It's one sexy kitty. Best thing I like about it is it's length and width (don't go there), long enough to keep it out of Hello Kitty length, short enough to not fall into GT category. Though I keep seeing it as becoming the "it" car of Housewives of X county.

F Type-----------Kappas
Length 176-------157.2 (161 SKY)
Width 75.7---------71.4
Height 51.5--------50.1
Weight 35-36------28/29
Price $69-$92-----Down, down, down ;)

I've been following it's development and read the F Type was primarily designed to be the spiritual successor to the iconic E Type. The 175 length keeps it out of the Hello Kitty category while not falling into the GT category. Main competition is Porsche Boxster, BMW Z4. Autoblog recently reported the Z4 is in the 9th position of 2012, 12 worst selling vehicles. These are your top 10 worst-selling vehicles of 2012

·
Registered
457 Posts
Its a Jag so it will be a GT, not a light weight sports car. But I think it is gorgeous and a cool new direction (well, since the E-Type) for Jaguar.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Its a Jag so it will be a GT, not a light weight sports car. But I think it is gorgeous and a cool new direction (well, since the E-Type) for Jaguar.
I agree - best Jag in years, but probably also correct that it may end up as a 3500 lb GT cruiser instead of a 3000 lb sporty car.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
My definition of GT includes length mainly because I think a lot of the modern sports cars are getting too long compared to where they traditional started from. Definition of sports car used to be; small, agile, performance vehicle. However most modern sports cars manufacturers seem to now ignore (or forgotten) the "small" part.

Why I also think it's ironic that Europe didn't consider the Corvette a genuine sports car for decades because it was considered to be too big to be a sports car; however now their sports cars are as large and heavy (if not larger & heavier). Example: 2012 Ferrari Italia 3274lbs, 178.2 long versus the 2012 base corvette 3208lbs, 174.6 long.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree. I was amazed to read the weight for the new Carreras is 3,300-3,500 pounds. So, it depends on how much of a purist you are.

To me, different purposes. A Miata is light and tossable. Not much power but fun. Classic sports car. Winding country roads.

The amount of power in many performance cars (to use the broad term) and the electronic controls and suspension tricks are more designed for track days - and that is the goal now. Added size and weight for stability and engineering to make it seem less big.

Oh, and always the testosterone factor......

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
I had the pleasure of riding in one of these beauties in July...I got to experience the high-end F-Type S. WOW!!! The sound, the power....If I had $115k at the time, I would have easily pulled out my checkbook and wrote the check!! Too bad cars can't mate!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Showed my bride the pic in the original posting tonight. She said "you have got to be kidding me!" She doesn't study cars or music but she's quick to say "I know what I like" and she said that other than the front end, there are a lot of similarities.

Then I told her the price.

Yeah, we're pretty good with our 07 N/A.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts