Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
These lists are always done as space fillers by people given the task of filling space, yet some of them are hard to pass by without getting involved with them.

The Solstice coupe is obviously a fairly rare and interesting car.

Volvo V70R, well I guess they are neater than the base models, but they are still a Volvo station wagon.....

914s weren't Porsches anywhere but North America, IIRC, where the name was calculated to sell well. I drove a 914-6 (the 6 cylinder was always tagged as a Porsche) in the old days when a couple of friends were racing them against each other and thought they were pretty neat. I drove one again a few years ago and found the handling OK but not up to current standards and the performance bland - 110 BHP just doesn't impress, but many hauled the 911T engine out and stuck the 2.0 S engine in which improved things quite a bit.

BMW 1 series M, yup, good car - see Top Gear report on them.

F40 - sure, who'd say otherwise, although not exactly my favourite Fazzaz.

Original Cobra 289? Yup, drove one of those too (considered buying a race car). Evil beasts with handling that didn't match the power, but damned exciting!

Toyota 200GT, McClaren, Tucker, never experienced them, though seen all of them and had a good look.

As for the Lancia Stratos - very few over here and I lusted after one that was for sale years ago. Seriously fun cars.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
:)

The Stratos I looked at in the late 1980s was a Stradale - street version with only around 200 bhp, and the scariest thing about it was the price even then!

These days even a well used one starts at $200K and up! Makes my old Lambo (which I am pondering selling) look like a bargain!

I am still moaning to myself for not having the $7,000 to buy the Miura back in the early 70s nor the $20K to buy my buddy's Cobra 289 in the late 70s.....

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,237 Posts
:)

The Stratos I looked at in the late 1980s was a Stradale - street version with only around 200 bhp, and the scariest thing about it was the price even then!
I still remember the conversation I had with my mom, maybe 1963, about a 300SL Gull Wing Coupe, Silver with Red Leather, spotless, for $7,000 because the owner didn't want to drive it to Florida . . . I just couldn't convince her that it was a good buy at the time. :cryin:

In 1974, I wrote a letter to Carl Haas, asking him if he had any old, clapped out Lola Mk IIIB GTs available for purchase as I wanted to convert one for the street. He replied that he had the Geneva Auto show GT available for sale for $25,000. At the time I was a poor law school student, and didn't have the funds. :brentil:

I, too, have lusted for a Lancia Stratos, but that isn't ever going to happen . . . :willy:

·
Premium Member
10,305 Posts
I'd autocross a 914 with 6 webers and it was hoot.
The body was not that good and it leak all around the winshield.
A lot of fun to drive back then though.
Had it for about a year.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I'd autocross a 914 with 6 webers and it was hoot.
The body was not that good and it leak all around the winshield.
A lot of fun to drive back then though.
Had it for about a year.
The chassis was fairly stiff for the time (that draft excluder was just a bad bit of rubber, I expect) but time and rust has compromised many/most of them and they can become flexible flyers if left unrepaired or bodged with bondo so the damage just doesn't show.

You only had two Webers, BTW - triple barrel IDA series.

They used those same carbs on the Lamborghini Miura, but twice as many. On my old Lambo (same engine) they used side draft - a half dozen DCOE series.

People mistake the number of barrels for each being a single carb all the time, no idea why they do that but no one figures a Holley 4 bbl is 4 separate carbs. Must be the look, I guess.

·
Premium Member
10,305 Posts
You are right Bill, as far as my description, yours is the more accurate.
Thanks for the pictures.
Those webbers were supper noise when you stump on the accelarator pedal.
However what followed was a lot of good fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts