Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened up the Toronto Star this morning, and to my suprise, Jim Kenzie cuts up the Sol AGAIN!

This is quoted from The Toronto Star, compliments of our good friend- Mr. Kenzie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PONTIAC SOLSTICE

"Everybody wanted so desperately to love this car.

First, it looks so great.

Well, first and last, it looks great, because that's about it.

But what's with the design of the trunk? With the gas tank stuck in a big box right behind the seats, there's room for maybe a few socks back there.

And unlike the MX-5, you have to stop and get out of the car to raise or lower the top.

The interior styling is less successful than the outside, being plain, but not classically so.

The 177 hp Ecotec 2.4-litre four, with double overhead camshafts, is noisy, sluggish and slow. The too-tall final drive gearing and too-widely spaced gear ratios don't help.

I liked the way the Solstice rode and handled in the dry, but in the wet on the track, it all fell apart. The all-season rubber was devoid of grip. The optional limited slip diff didn't help.

The car felt unco-ordinated, confused.

GM has impressed with several cars this year, but Solstice isn't one of them. The General had 15 years of Miata to learn from — but didn't."

Price as tested: $32,025

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Well, look at the bright side, you won't ever have to waste time reading anything this ignorant man writes ever again!

·
5,641 Posts
Mr Kenzie should be expecting a call from Mr. Lutz on Monday. Better open up some time in his schedule to travel to Milford, MI.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
dylan01 said:
I opened up the Toronto Star this morning, and to my suprise, Jim Kenzie cuts up the Sol AGAIN!

This is quoted from The Toronto Star, compliments of our good friend- Mr. Kenzie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PONTIAC SOLSTICE

"Everybody wanted so desperately to love this car.

But what's with the design of the trunk? With the gas tank stuck in a big box right behind the seats, there's room for maybe a few socks back there.

And unlike the MX-5, you have to stop and get out of the car to raise or lower the top.

The interior styling is less successful than the outside, being plain, but not classically so.

The 177 hp Ecotec 2.4-litre four, with double overhead camshafts, is noisy, sluggish and slow. The too-tall final drive gearing and too-widely spaced gear ratios don't help.

I liked the way the Solstice rode and handled in the dry, but in the wet on the track, it all fell apart. The all-season rubber was devoid of grip. The optional limited slip diff didn't help.

GM has impressed with several cars this year, but Solstice isn't one of them. The General had 15 years of Miata to learn from — but didn't."

He must own a Miata . :lol:

If you buy a roadster, you don't expect to have a trunk, If you want a trunk buy a SUV.

·
Registered
292 Posts
deluke said:
He must own a Miata . :lol:

If you buy a roadster, you don't expect to have a trunk, If you want a trunk buy a SUV.
Or a Miata. :lol:

Before eveyone starts with the anti-anti- Solstice rants and wasting a lot of forum space how about sending them directly to Mr. Kenzie. [email protected]. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Sydney said:
Before eveyone starts with the anti-anti- Solstice rants and wasting a lot of forum space how about sending them directly to Mr. Kenzie. [email protected]. Just a suggestion.
Damn good-one, too!

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Sydney said:
Or a Miata. :lol:

GREAT idea, Sydney! Here's the email I just sent:

11/05/05

Dear Mr. McKenzie:

Thank you very much for your great article on the Pontiac Solstice.

There has been a lot of difficulty for people to purchase that vehicle, since the first 1000 were sold in 41 minutes, over 7000 were sold in the first ten days, and the entire year's production is apparently sold out.

Thanks to your article, there might be a few people who cancel the order to purchase one. That would then make it available to another person to purchase, someone with the good sense to judge for themselves what a fine automobile it is, instead of listening to a newspaper article that gives emphasis to the negatives and few of the positives.

Thanks again, you have done a great service to those of us who appreciate the best bargain in sports cars!

Sincerely,

NORMAN ROSENBLATT

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
Everyone has the right to thier oppinion but his does not count.
:lol: His article was a waste of paper and bandwith.

·
4,592 Posts
Editguy said:
:lol: His article was a waste of paper and bandwith.
not if you agree........

just keeping you all honest, afterall, it's my job :devil:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
RODEO said:
not if you agree........

just keeping you all honest, afterall, it's my job :devil:
So, do you agree with him? Because he's basically saying that other than looks the Solstice has nothing going for it. And I can't think of any other review that has gone that extreme. Most that have been "unfavorable" have said that it's close, but just doesn't quite measure up to the Mazda. He could have used one of his own arguments against the Mazda. They've had 15 years, and that's the best design they could come up with? And he even says the car doesn't impress, which is ludicrous. I just think he's waaaaay out there, to the point that I wouldn't read any review that he wrote. Since I'm not Canadian, I don't have to worry about it.

·
4,592 Posts
Editguy said:
So, do you agree with him? Because he's basically saying that other than looks the Solstice has nothing going for it. And I can't think of any other review that has gone that extreme. Most that have been "unfavorable" have said that it's close, but just doesn't quite measure up to the Mazda. He could have used one of his own arguments against the Mazda. They've had 15 years, and that's the best design they could come up with? And he even says the car doesn't impress, which is ludicrous. I just think he's waaaaay out there, to the point that I wouldn't read any review that he wrote. Since I'm not Canadian, I don't have to worry about it.
Well, I was more trying to say that not everyone is going to disagree with a review, any review for that matter.......

that said, let's see what he says:

Everybody wanted so desperately to love this car.
He's giving the car credit for being sharp looking.......

Same.............

Pushing the buttons, a journalist's job...........

Trunk is an easy issue for the sol, that's no surprise.......

Even the enthusiasts here concede the sol's top will not be popular with everyone.......

I'm not surprised the "cheap plastic" term is not being used more in the reviews, it's one big design fault of the sol........

Nobody here is calling the solstice fast, correct?.........

This is supported by the threads we've seen here lately, although the tires seem to be the culprit........

lame statement, if he doesn't back it up, then it has no merit...I didn't know what he meant..........

Subjective and lame, the sol may have limitations, but it won't be considered a failure.............

-------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, the points are all points we've talked over here time and time again. I saw nothing that was wrong in the points made, but he did clearly make a few pot shots that were unecassary and unfounded, but they just prove he's not an fair writer........

--------------------------------------------------------------

Unless a review has praised a sol, it gets slammed by this forum..... It seems to be taken to personally....I've learned not to take this stuff too personally...otherwise I'd have to sell my "chick cars" :lol:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
RODEO said:
I've learned not to take this stuff too personally...otherwise I'd have to sell my "chick cars" :lol:
I agree, and no-one has learned to ignore reviews more than me..

·
Registered
29 Posts
dylan01 said:
I
This guy's review glanced over the fact that he tested a $32,000 car that was probably worth $25,000 based on full MSRP. :)

·
4,592 Posts
Drummer Boy said:
This guy's review glanced over the fact that he tested a $32,000 car that was probably worth $25,000 based on full MSRP. :)
that's a cnadian dollar figure......I almost made the same mistake.......then I realized it's a canadian review.

·
4,592 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
I agree, and no-one has learned to ignore reviews more than me..
I also agree. I don't ignore the points of the car that is reviewed, I ignore the writer's personal "opinions". But the points are still good for me to use in my own evaluation. The points as described by the writer don't sway me, but give me something to chew on as I do my own review.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I just thought it was disingenuous. I have no problem with repeating the complaints that have been there from the beginning, and have been pointed out by those who have given it an excellent review. But to basically say that the car has nothing going for it but looks, especially in light of the fact that it has been in a virtual dead heat with the Mazda on performance, seems more than unfair, more like dishonest. Not that I really care. I've said many times that reviews one way or the other are basically meaningless, because they are one persons opinion. That's why I never have used them for purchase decisions, and never will. You get more useful info, pro and con, from a forum like this than you do from a media review.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Wow, this guy really has it out for the Solstice. He's president of the Solstice haters club :lol:

All I can say is he's alone on his Solstice-hating island and history will prove him wrong ;)

·
4,592 Posts
Editguy said:
I just thought it was disingenuous. I have no problem with repeating the complaints that have been there from the beginning, and have been pointed out by those who have given it an excellent review. But to basically say that the car has nothing going for it but looks, especially in light of the fact that it has been in a virtual dead heat with the Mazda on performance, seems more than unfair, more like dishonest. Not that I really care. I've said many times that reviews one way ot the other are basically meaningless, becauser they are one persons opinion. That's why I never have used them for purchase decisions, and never will. You get more useful info, pro and con, from a forum like this than you do from a media review.
I agree! Long ago in English Literature 101 I learned that in any writing you do, you should argue both sides of the argument........this guy failed here...he tried to say "this car sucks" with out giving arguments to counter that point...... bad writing. Once I see writing like this, I realize the person is not properly doing their job.

The soltice has its flaws, I wonder how the general public will perceive this car once the honeymoon is over.......... maybe that is what the writer was trying to say - even though he did a very bad thing by not covering both sides of the issue.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts