Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, this has been talked about a few times before but had to throw in my experience. After reading the other threads and viewing the pictures, I decided to spend the money and order the JPM Performance Shifter for the '06 Solstice. I ordered the shifter by mail with a personal check. Within a few days, JPM called me at home and told me they had recieved the check and they would have their machinist begin construction. A couple of weeks went by and the product arrived via UPS. In the meantime, I tried to remove the stock shifter. Broke two allen wrenches! Afraid to use a "smoke wrench" because of the rubber around the shifter. Finally tried nail polish remover/acetone. Still no luck. Tried PB Blaster...no luck. Soaked it down with PB Blaster again and walked away for the night. Next day, I gave it a shot of fresh PBB and tried again. As I was using a box end wrench to give me more "oomph" with the allen wrench, I heard a loud crack. (For safety reasons, I had covered what I was doing with a small towel to prevent me from getting hit by broken pieces of allen wrench this time). I thought maybe I had broken another allen wrench, thought maybe some shrapnel had been flying by, so check hands, fingers, face in mirror...no cuts, no blood, nothing. Went back to trying to remove the allen screw and it was now moving! The loud crack must have been the loctite breaking loose. Took it all apart to see how it worked. Put it back together with no loctite and waited now for new part to arrive.

JPM had sent me a UPS tracking number so I knew the day of arrival and approximate delivery time for my neighborhood. Late in the day, I look out the front door and there is a box on the door step...I guess UPS does not knock on door anymore. Open package and view contents. Very nice workmanship! New shifter boot, black with tan threads, easily goes on plastic ring. Take it out to garage and install shifter shaft with fresh blue loctite supplied by JPM. Two allen screws this time. Leave shoulder piece as is so that a bit of the shaft is exposed rather than have the ball sitting directly on the boot. Install boot and chrome trim ring. Sure does look nice! Feels really nice, also. Very, very happy with this upgrade!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Nice! When I did mine, I used the heat method, but with about 5 layers of good quality aluminum foil draped over the whole area (and punched down over the shaft) to insulate the rubber and plastic from the heat.

Note: this is what I did. Don't blame me if you do the same but end up burning the rubber boot, or melting plastic! :)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
That's great. thanks for all the details. turned out looking good. Hopefully I'll be posting photo's of mine soon.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Rather than using an little Allen wrench like that, I had an Allen bit in a long handled ratchet... I think I put a little heat on it with a small butane torch as well...

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
Rather than using an little Allen wrench like that, I had an Allen bit in a long handled ratchet... I think I put a little heat on it with a small butane torch as well...
Ahh good idea. Gives you much better leverage.

The hammer is somehow satisfying but probably not the best way.:devil:

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Just a thought. I bought a Milwaukee impact wrench and a set of allen bits. Originally I used it at work to take apart molds that are held together primarily by socket head cap screws - a real time saver. I wonder if the impact might help break that loctite loose easier?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I made a mis-statement...I broke two allen bits using a 3/8" drive ratchet and socket. I tried using an impact screw driver but not enough room to get it in without taking off the boomerang panel...I just did not want to do that, although it has been off in the past. So...I believe the best way to attack this for others, is to start off by removing the boomerang panel which will allow you more room to use "bigger/stronger" tools. The use of heat to break loose the loctite is almost mandatory but I was just too afraid of burning up the rubber or anything else flammable. The directions from JPM say to use a butane lighter or a heat gun on the set screw. I do not smoke and my heat gun is broke...and a heat gun will certainly melt rubber if not careful. The directions also state to use acetone to soak the set screw with which will loosen its grip. Did not work all that well for me. In the limited space, the box end wrench and allen wrench worked best for me.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Riggs - that was my concern on the impact, didn't know if you'd have the real estate to get at it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've been looking at making this addition as well and will be interested in hearing your thoughts after driving around a while. I am undecided whether I want to go with alcantara or leather for the boot. I wanted to add the alcantara Vette steering wheel, but do not want to loose the cruise function.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I wanted to add the alcantara Vette steering wheel, but do not want to loose the cruise function.
You don't loose the cruise function, just the ability to turn it OFF with the switch. (The on/off switch is still there under the trim. You just have to be sure that it's ON before you replace the trim.)

·
Registered
224 Posts
You don't loose the cruise function, just the ability to turn it OFF with the switch. (The on/off switch is still there under the trim. You just have to be sure that it's ON before you replace the trim.)
The problem is I my tune is controlled through the cruise button, so when cruise is activated the tune is off. I do enough highway driving where I want to maintain cruise, but of course do not want my tune permanently switched off. I have considered cutting a spot for the button on the trim in the vette wheel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts