Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am happy to say that the top bid right now for a Solstice on Ebay is around 25600...Good for everyone to know that people have wised up since the PT Cruiser and GTO fiascos. I hope you enjoyed paying for your add only to find out the American public is smarter these days. We all realize that there are very few TRULY collectible cars. Even the days of low production number colors on Vettes are gone. They make too many of anything these days to be truly collectible. I think most of us first 1000 people wanted one of them just because we loved the cars and it would set ours apart a little...not to run out and make thousands of dollars on it. I always enjoy going back to the 1978 Indy Pace Car Vette...I know one person who bought 6 of these things and put them on blocks in storage...I KNOW he'll never get as much out of them as if he had banked that money in investments. Cars are for enjoying...not storing. I hope every one of these Solstices ends up with millions of miles on it!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure I completely agree with you, (Storing of cars). Honestly if I had the money I would buy 2. One to drive as fast as I can without being caught, and the other to store. The car is beautiful. Again, I would store it so others could see it. It's like a work of art, it should be seen and appreciated. Not many people have the money to keep there car looking brand new after millions of miles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only drawback to storing cars is that most people don't realize that they still rot. The interior sucks up moisture, and seals still detiorate. Don't get me wrong...yes, there are cars that should be garaged...think VERY low production numbers or something along those lines. I do admit, there are other reasons to store too...love of a car...special meaning to you and such. I admit to having a 1982 Pontiac Mecham Racing Motor Sports Edition #21 stored since 1992...it is in a state of "furthered restoration" for lack of a better word for it. The car was driven and driven hard for 38K miles...most of it a quarter mile at a time...and then a restoration was started...The car was a high school graduation gift from my parents...I'll never sell it and my son will probably get it one of these days...So I am not against storing all cars...I am just saying don't store it thinking you are gonna get rich off of it. Cars are a poor investment MOST of the time...not saying you can't make money on them...just not usually.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
garytucker said:
The only drawback to storing cars is that most people don't realize that they still rot.
Storing a car for long term is difficult and requires regular maintenance. I have done it, and let me tell you, the best way to preserve a car for decades is to work out a program of dry storage, schedualed maintenance and most importantly driving .

A car will hold up much better over the years mechanically if you can put about 10 miles a month on it with a good program of freeway speeds and hills. That's only 240 miles a year and it will help immensely. In 20 years that's only about 4800 miles. Still low enough to make the car very valuable. If done correctly and diligently, the car will still look and drive as new 20 years later.

Most people that store cars do so because either they won't be able to drive or maintain the car themselves, or they are speculating about future value. In either of these cases it usually ends up with the car on blocks in a garage somewhere rotting. 20 years later the car needs so much work, that the investment is deminished. However there are ways to do this and minimize the ravages of time.

I have to go right now, but if anyone is interested in ways I have tried or heard of in the past to help preserve cars in storage, let me know.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
There is a guy in our town that purchased a 78 'vette Indy Pace Car, drove it home and parked it on the grass where I last saw it. And, no he doesn't want to sell and it is rotting apart.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've seen giant baggies advertised that you drive the car into and then fill with dry nitrogen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts