Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if GM is going to make and release all the first 1000 Solstices for a mass delivery publicity stunt? It could be at the GM Proving Grounds in Michigan (could it be that's why the loaded car carriers from the plant where headed there?). They could let you take your Solstice on a "test drive" on their track, tour the proving grounds, and then have a road trip back to your home in your new Solstice? Could that be why they were telling everyone that you would have to show proof of insurance when you pick up your car? Could this be done in time for the Summer Solstice? So many questions, so many ideas..... :willy:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Rogobuck said:
Could that be why they were telling everyone that you would have to show proof of insurance when you pick up your car?
Having insurance at time of pickup is state law I think.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting thought, but I don't think many would go for that.

Also the summer solstice is mid week, not a good day for many.

I too have thought that words on delays could be a ploy by GM.

Tell everyone you are late (to throw mazda off (new miata)) then
deliver 1000 cars on the solstice in a huge media hype.

This way they could get every local news agency (TV/paper) to cover
these deliveries, showing many happt customers in their new beauties.

Free press all across the country.

I should be a marketing person for GM!!! :yesnod:

HEY GM ARE YOU LISTENING???????????? GOT THE HINT????????? :lol:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
A fun thought, but unlikely.

I can't imagine that there are many of the first 1000 customers that could arrange travel to Michigan on short notice just to pick up their car. Then add in the time off of work or school, away from family, etc. that would be needed to drive your car from Michigan to California, Texas, Florida, East Coast, or where ever these customers call home.

I'm still hoping some EOP cars get delivered by June, though!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Also we are paying shipping charges in the price. If they did that they would have to refund our shipping charge

·
Premium Member
568 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Having insurance IS the law. You can't get a plate (even temporary) with out it. Or even a license for that matter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been curious about their bringing up the Proof of Insurance in the confirmation calls. Obviously you have to have it when you pick up the car or they won't let you have it. They also won't let you have it if you don't have the money or the financing. They didn't ask me about that! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
crj1949 said:
I've been curious about their bringing up the Proof of Insurance in the confirmation calls. Obviously you have to have it when you pick up the car or they won't let you have it. They also won't let you have it if you don't have the money or the financing. They didn't ask me about that! :lol:
Me neither. Only drivers license, that's it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Dealer had to check "finances OK" check-box...

mceb said:
crj1949 said:
They also won't let you have it if you don't have the money or the financing. They didn't ask me about that! :lol:
Me neither. Only drivers license, that's it.
Actually, the dealer had to certify your monetary purchase capability and acknowledge by clicking a box that you were fiscally able to purchase.... ;)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Actually, the dealer had to certify your monetary purchase capability and acknowledge by clicking a box that you were fiscally able to purchase.... ;)
Oh yes I remember those checkboxes when I was speeding through those screens on the 15th. We didn't even slow down to read them :lol:

·
Registered
905 Posts
So I guess we need a VIN# before we go pick it up to give to our Insurance companies.

·
Registered
121 Posts
dengel said:
I'm still hoping some EOP cars get delivered by June, though!
Ditto, my friend, ditto! :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Adrenaline said:
So I guess we need a VIN# before we go pick it up to give to our Insurance companies.
Yes. You won't need insurance until about a week or 2 before delivery.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
mustangnomo said:
Having insurance IS the law. You can't get a plate (even temporary) with out it. Or even a license for that matter.
I don't believe you need insurance to get a license. You must have insurance to register a car and get plates, but a lot of people have driver's licenses without owning cars, and therefore don't have a need for "auto" insurance. If you don't own any cars, what exactly would you be insuring?

If you don't already own a car with an existing policy that you can add your new Solstice to, you will definitely need to procure auto insurance before completing the purchase of your Solstice. But you won't need to do this until you have at least an idea of when delivery will be.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if your both right

Rogobuck said:
What if GM is going to make and release all the first 1000 Solstices for a mass delivery publicity stunt? It could be at the GM Proving Grounds in Michigan (could it be that's why the loaded car carriers from the plant where headed there?).... So many questions, so many ideas..... :willy:
Bought_It said:
Tell everyone you are late (to throw mazda off (new miata)) then deliver 1000 cars on the solstice in a huge media hype.
Or picture an helicopter shot of one thousand Solstices parked on a lot just prior to their delivery all on the same day. Remember, GM wanted all its dealers to sit on all their Solstice promo stuff until after closing on April 14. Spelled it out in detail on that first EOP info release to dealers. Just like what they used to do with September 21 back in the fifties and sixties. Made it a Christmas morning like event.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I bet one reason for giving the drivers license was so they could do a credit check on us. That probably happened before we got the second call.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I bet one reason for giving the drivers license was so they could do a credit check on us. That probably happened before we got the second call.
Also to see if we were a GM affiliate

·
Registered
338 Posts
ateam_77 said:
It's technically illegal to do a credit check on anybody w/o written consent. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but I doubt that GM would authorize it. We get mailers telling us who is on the National Do Not Call List.

The reason for the ID is so that they can make sure that the car is registered to the person who orders it, in case there woudl be an audit at the dealership, to keep some of the more shifty dealers honest.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
conejo148 said:
ateam_77 said:
It's technically illegal to do a credit check on anybody w/o written consent. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but I doubt that GM would authorize it. We get mailers telling us who is on the National Do Not Call List.

The reason for the ID is so that they can make sure that the car is registered to the person who orders it, in case there woudl be an audit at the dealership, to keep some of the more shifty dealers honest.
I could be wrong, but wouldn't they need a Social Security Number for the credit check? I know, with a ChoicePoint subscription, you could get that, but as I said in a previous post, the dealer had a check box with which they were required to acknowledge that the applicant was a qualified buyer.

I tend to think that Conejo148 is right, and I would add that they were also checking to see that:
  • The driver's license matched the Apprentice registration
  • The license was issued for someone in the US within the area outlined by the program rules

1 - 20 of 21 Posts