Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool:
After I placed the order for one, I was bragging to my friends about it and one of them mentioned that a local body shop could device a method that will turn the manual roof to an automatic one, like the ones in the SLKs.

Any thoughts? Why did'nt pontiac make the roof auto? We are in the new millenium where everything is auto nowadays. Even the locks and windows are power on most of the hyundais. Why would pontiac opt for manual windows and locks?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I actually prefer a manual top for weight savings and simplicity. Just wish I didn't have to get out of the car to put it up/down. Might look into rigging the rear decklid with a linear actuator so that the top can be put up or down at a stoplight without getting out of the car.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Solstice was pitched as a back to basics roadster a low price point.

As far as turning a manual top into power after-market, the Solstice top is not your everyday convertible top. The wings make it more complex.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I know this is sacrilege...

...but I will be looking for a way to dump the top, and put on either a future (if they offer it) removable hardtop, or a custom made, 2-pc or 3-pc "stowable" hard top that disassembles in 5-10 minutes.

I find myself only using a car with the top down about 20% of the time. The rest of the time I either:

1) have my wife in the car (she has long beautiful hair and doesn't appreciate the wind, IYKWIM),
2) it's too cold, or
3) it's TOO FREAKIN HOT

Yes, #3 is a problem. Been at Grand Cayman Island - tried to run the tracker with the top off in May a few years ago. Burned the F*#K out of the tops of our legs in about 15 minutes!!!!

Also had a 'vert in SW U.S. - and there are many days that are literally too intense for sun to have the top down. I am very sensitive to being burned - have had many friends that have had basal cell carcinoma, and know a few others that got agressive skin melanoma (one that died). Sunburns are no laughing matter.

So - when I get mine, I will prolly spend over 70% of the time with the top up. For me, I see no need for a power roof, if I'm going to pull the whole mech. apart anyways. Plus, who wants the extra weight?

·
Registered
409 Posts
About the weight issue regarding a power top. The new 'Vette's weight is actually 100lbs lighter (if I remember the figure correctly) than the hard-top 'Vette or removable top 'Vette.

I argued with my buddy last night after leaving Buffalo Wild Wings (if anybody knows the restaurant) about this. He swore up and down the Solstice had a power top.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Pontiac wanted the car to be as affordable as possible. So they didn’t bother with a lot of standard power amenities, the least of which being a power softtop.

However, that is not the only reason. As was mentioned, this top does not operate like a traditional softtop convertible either. So making it power would have been much more complicated and costly. Not only would you need motors to actuate the buttresses as well as the top itself, you would need more to operate the clamshell trunk. Its just not cost effective at the $20K price point.

They also get a weight savings by going with a manual top, and in a roadster such as this they want to save weight wherever they can.

As far as everyone having power stuff these days, well, its just not true. Many of the more affordable roadsters are using manual tops. For one, the C6 Corvette has added a power top as optional, but Corvettes traditionally have been manual. The Miata, our beloved Solstices top competitor, also has a manual top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts