Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the time being we are all in the same group as far as waiting for a car that we hope will live up to our own expectations. Someone else started a thread asking the age of the folks that post here. I would like to carry that question a little further and ask if your desires / expectations (in the Solstice) are age related? This may be an odd-ball notion, but it may prove to be interesting if we can talk about how this car appeals to us and on what level. Obviously since we don’t know very much about the Solstice (the production version) we can only hope it has everything we each want in a sports car.
At 55 I am looking for an affordable mild performance roadster that is American made (as much as that is possible) with nice lines and has the potential squeezing out some more ponies out of its powerplant. I have relied on motorcycles to give me “street grins”, but see this car as an excuse to hang the helmet up. I must confess that I was completely “taken” by this cars styling (pretty face) so I am hopeful that at some point it will be available with optional engine power upgrades. I am also very hopeful that this platform is more than just a styling exercise and that it will be put together well and has been engineered to stay “put together” for awhile. I don’t expect I will be doing any auto-Xing, but you never know. I expect that driving the same curvy roads that I now ride on my bike are high on my “to do” list when I make my purchase. What about you? Why this car?…And what are your expectations & plans for it. Don’t forget to include your age.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am 21, and my desire for the car is ALSO based in it's 'pretty face' (to pick up chicks of course!), but another big one for me is to be DIFFERENT from the average civic-driving punk kid my age who think's he's cool.

I told ya'll before my other car is a Scion xB (the car that is undoubtably boxier than the Element), and it get's nothing but jaw-dropped stares, because it's different from anything on the road. The Solstice will be a beautiful car and receive stares, but not in the xB way. When it first comes out, I will certainly enjoy the fact that 90% of the public has no idea what it is, and more importantly, what it costs. I rejoice at the idea that people will see this young kid driving an expensive looking car!

At my age... of course I'm interested in a little modification for some stop-light kills, but I'm a smart driver, so I would much rather bring it to the track. It's a beautiful car to begin with, but, again, showing my age, customization is big with the younger crowd, if a body kit came out that looked good or if the stock rims don't end up looking as great as the show models, I would be interested in body mods such as these.

·
Registered
48 Posts
24 here and the looks are a definite factor. The front still puts me off a little but I figure body kits will solve that soon enough. Usually every car has atleast 1 kit out there that doesn't make the car look worse.

Performance and tunability has to be there though. I never modded my import coupes much because I would much rather put money into performance modifications on a real sports car than to try and make something else into one.

Looking at all the 'sports cars' out there right now this is why I am looking into the Solstice:

RX-8 : Great handling, Decent performance. Bad gas mileage, harder to upgrade, 2 seats I don't really care about, more expensive than faster cars, looks good sometimes but strange others.

350Z: Fast and smooth but rather heavy and can look kind of bloated. I really wanted one for awhile but right now nothing really seems special about it.

Elise: I'll take two. Anyone want to paypal me 40k? If only it were cheaper and had some seats that were thicker than a piece of cardboard.

S2000: Seems they took the cockpit idea a little too far. It feels just right for attacking the road but I can see that getting old quickly for daily driving.
Not willing to pay 30k for a high revving 4cyl either.

MR2 Spyder: I've almost bought one twice. The front to back legroom is a little small but otherwise it was great. Mid engine, RWD, plenty of parts out there to make it amazing. Price is the main issue with this one. Used ones are too much for their condition/miles and new ones are overpriced compared to the competition. Especially if you add in the hardtop which I would want... and all the mods I would do. Before you know it you could have just bought an Elise.

STI / EVO: Not sports cars. I wouldn't care if they were as fast as a Lamborghini. 4dr sedans just aren't my thing. Performance isn't that big of an issue that I would get a car just because it is quick.

The Solstice has a nice body style, a very very cleanly designed interior, promising powertrain and a low price. It's not really that heavy, will get decent mileage and is RWD. If there is a TC/SC model and it drives good I will be pleased.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
54 here. I am taken by the styling and it being North American made. It has been a while since I've had a sporty model car, or bike for that matter. I am finally getting close to that time once again. The performance issue is not an issue for me as I think 170 hp and 170fpds of torque is sufficient for a 2800 pound car that I would spend touring rather that racing. I just hope that the interior room is sufficient and reasonable.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'm 30. To me, this car is the total package. Everything I learn about it just seems to sweeten the deal. I've missed owning a roadster since my first daughter was born. First and foremost, it's the right car at the right price. The fact that it's a Pontiac makes it more appealing to me, and the performance potential makes it strongly appealing to me. I plan to use it as a second vehicle as well as probably autocross. I love the looks of it as well. Basically, it appeals to me on every level.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm 48(pushing 49). If it didnt have the looks, the price wouldnt matter, but it has both. My kids are older and have thier own cars, so now it's my turn and I don't need a back seat. I thought about getting a Harley, but the Solstice seems more me. I normally have a problem with 1st year production vehicles but I feel good about the Solstice since it is being made mostly from existing GM parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am 33 (hey, isn't it rude to ask a lady her age???) :jester I will drive a convertible till I am old and decrepit...so I still have a while! I want something new and different looking and eye-catching. I want something sporty and small and sexy that doesn't shout out "Hey, I am a soccer mom with several children," such as a mini-van would do. :lol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am 26. The first thing that attracted me to this car is the looks. I think it is a knock-out. The second is the price. If it were too expensive, I would have to automatically dismiss it. If I had a lot of cash, I would be riding in a Corvette right now. Unfortunately, I am not that wealthy!

The Solstice seems to fit my desires great. Good looks, convertable roadster, great handling (hopefully) and otherwise good all-around performance. I also like that it has a domestic nameplate.

Superb car. Whats not to like?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
42, looking for something fun for a weekend car and don't want to spend 40k for it so that doesn't leave me with much to choose from (don't really like Miata or MR2 much).

Solstice has the combo of styling and price plus a fairly decent performance/handling package out of the box. I will not be getting the higher HP version.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
XLER8ER said:
I'm 48(pushing 49). If it didnt have the looks, the price wouldnt matter, but it has both. My kids are older and have thier own cars, so now it's my turn and I don't need a back seat. I thought about getting a Harley, but the Solstice seems more me. I normally have a problem with 1st year production vehicles but I feel good about the Solstice since it is being made mostly from existing GM parts.
:agree I'm 51, and I agree 99% with XLER8ER - I never really thought about getting a Harley. :smile

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm 40 and I want a Solstice because:

1) Looks
2) Roadster
3) Looks
4) Price
5) Looks
6) American Made
7) Looks

Bottom line, IMO it is in the top three best looking roadsters out there at any price. I would love this car even if it cost twice as much. Luckily I can afford it! It is rolling proof that an inexpensive car need not be ugly or boring.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm 35 and am recently married and have a new baby. I had a Jag XK8 before I got married and we had the baby, but that was a casualty of the change in life, and we now have 2 "sensible" family type cars. I love the look of the solstice, I think it's the best designed car to come out of Detroit, for a long long time, and given where it's being priced I can make a case for having it as a third summer car. I could not make that case for the Boxster, Elise etc, and don't really like the look of the Miata or MR2. My plan is to get the higher HP version if/when it becomes available. My one hope is that the trunk, as limited as it is, will hold one set of golf clubs.

PS: my one condition is that it does need to perform and handle comparably with the competition otherwise I won't buy. I don't want a car that looks spectacular but does not perform as well as it looks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think automotive styling has been going down hill for quite some time and this car is reversing the trend. I would buy this car simply as a statement against the bland, blocky styling that's so prevalent today. Not sure if my sense of design is influenced by age, but it is likely.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
tcl said:
I think automotive styling has been going down hill for quite some time and this car is reversing the trend. I would buy this car simply as a statement against the bland, blocky styling that's so prevalent today. Not sure if my sense of design is influenced by age, but it is likely.
I don't think your far off. The blocky shapes and sharp lines on cars these days make for busy designs that don't work in harmony. Even some of the successes have some disjointedness to them. Bangle's BMW's, the Z3, 5 series, and 7 series are great examples. The cars have intersecting creases and lines to create stark styling contrasts in the bodywork. It stands out, but its not pleasing at all. Cadillac's new styling theme has worked at giving the brand an image, but its more of a mechanical, industrial image than a pretty or even beautiful styling theme. The new Chrysler 300C has been a huge styling success for Chrysler, but its front end and back end look like they belong to two different cars, with the aggressive in your face nature of the front opposed to the unassuming, anybody's sedan styling on the rear. The Solstice on the other hand gets back to more rounded forms that work in harmony. Its a clean design with all components working with themselves, and not in contrast.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm 24, post college graduate, I love sports cars, and I love the thrill of driving a sports car the way they were meant to be driven. I just haven't had the time/money/space to actually have a real one. I really only want two types of sports cars. Either a car to rebuild that's old and used, or a stock sports car. I don't want to deal with having to modify a brand new car to make it perform.

My first real desire has always been to rebuild a 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo S into a weekend track racer, and be street legal to go show the Civic owners what a real car is. Rebuilding a car takes a lot of space, time, and money that I just haven't had till now. Moving into a new house this year along with getting married has eaten up what money/time I have now.

My next major desire I greatly disagree with Slipstream's opinion about the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII. It is very much a sports car, and has done a lot along with Subaru to mold both the tuner market in Japan, along with the world rally racing scene. This is one of the best WRC rally cars ever made. At $32k with options right now though falls at the top of my price range due to the previously mentioned issues. When you tack on 18/26 MPG on 91+ octane (so 93 octane here in FL) with the current fuel prices, it makes it hard to justify.

My last major desire has been the Lotus Elise ever since it was announced to arrive in the USA. The car was delivered to the first customer literally two weeks ago, and more are slowly going out to customers. By far this is the most perfect track sports car you can buy for under $80k. I don't consider straight line racing cars to be sports cars, those are drag racing cars. At $39+K base, and another $3k in options I would want (got to have the Chrome Orange :D ) it falls past my price range. Plus the first 2000 cars pretty much have already been spoken for from pre-orders, and you're talking about a hand built car that will only have like 3500 made per year to cover all world markets. Not counting the Opel/Vauxhall chassis that they make too. 2006+ would be the earliest I could get one.

Now this long post finally brings us to the Solstice :D I had looked at Miata's, MR2's, and S2000's. However none of them really impressed me. Miata's styling was a turn off along with minimal power, the MR2's major lack of power and Toyota's dieing interest in it, and the S2000 is awesome I just personally don't like it. Then I remembered a PopSci article about this car from back in 2002 and decided to go looking for it. I love the body design, I love the hope of future more powerful versions or upgrades, and I love the price. The fact that it's American is nice, but I could really care less who makes a car as long as it performs. I only wish it were a little lighter, and we had some solid information about performance options now and down the road. But there's nothign I can do about either.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I don't think your far off. The blocky shapes and sharp lines on cars these days make for busy designs that don't work in harmony. Even some of the successes have some disjointedness to them. Bangle's BMW's, the Z3, 5 series, and 7 series are great examples. The cars have intersecting creases and lines to create stark styling contrasts in the bodywork. It stands out, but its not pleasing at all. Cadillac's new styling theme has worked at giving the brand an image, but its more of a mechanical, industrial image than a pretty or even beautiful styling theme. The new Chrysler 300C has been a huge styling success for Chrysler, but its front end and back end look like they belong to two different cars, with the aggressive in your face nature of the front opposed to the unassuming, anybody's sedan styling on the rear. The Solstice on the other hand gets back to more rounded forms that work in harmony. Its a clean design with all components working with themselves, and not in contrast.

:agree With this much interest in a car this far from production, I would say it has everything to do with styling. When the Solstice does hit the streets, the usual car magazines might be able to bitch about how the materials and fit and finish aren't as good as the Mercedes and Porshes they are used to, or how the 0-60 times are a little disapointing, or the skid pad numbers don't hold up to the Lotus or what ever, but they will not be able to say anything negative about the looks. No contraversy there. The looks of this car will sell it no matter what.

My hope is that Detroit will say to themselves "Hmmm... maybe there is a future in this styling business. Maybe we should get back to making slick, well rounded, classic looking cars instead of the crazy looking experimental stuff we have been doing. Maybe it is worth the extra investment in styling details.". If GM spent this much care in the styling of all thier cars, they could easily win back much of it's market share from foriegn competitors (especially since many of them are dropping the ball right now). They just need to let car guys like Bob Lutz run the show. (Hint to GM... Stay the course.) :thumbs

·
Registered
533 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I don't think your far off. The blocky shapes and sharp lines on cars these days make for busy designs that don't work in harmony.
Having thought more about this, and given your comment about the 300C, I think what also bothers me with a number of today's cars is that to my eye, many also lack a good sense of proportion. It's almost as if good design is being thrown out the window just to produce a shape that's different.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Whadya mean? There's the ION... such a lovely, amazingly-styled and different machine... :rolleyes

And the VUE!!!

designed by the people who brought you Play-Skool!

And now, the design inspiration for the ION exterior and interior...

Note the center-mounted steering wheel on the second image.

And the inspiration for the VUE...

the similarity is eerie, isn't it? Sometimes I have a hard time telling which is which...

·
Registered
533 Posts
AeroDave said:
.... My hope is that Detroit will say to themselves "Hmmm... maybe there is a future in this styling business. Maybe we should get back to making slick, well rounded, classic looking cars instead of the crazy looking experimental stuff we have been doing. Maybe it is worth the extra investment in styling details.". If GM spent this much care in the styling of all thier cars, they could easily win back much of it's market share from foriegn competitors (especially since many of them are dropping the ball right now). They just need to let car guys like Bob Lutz run the show. (Hint to GM... Stay the course.) :thumbs
Totally agree.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts