Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New Here! Just bought a 2007 2.4, Manual, Conv, Solstice! Only 39,000KM. Great shape. Bought it as a seasonal vehicle at the end of January in the dead of winter. Have not driven it yet and it is sitting covered in my garage. It is torture to have to look at it daily knowing it will be months before I drive it!! :(
Couple of questions to all you Solstice veterans out there! 1.) Is there a value to keeping the car stock? As this is the 2.4, there are a lot of opportunities to add mods. My car is base. I like base cars simply because they have a "classic" feel to them. However a Super charger, etc are also tempting!! 2.) Is there a directory of Canadian Solstice/Sky clubs I can access? I'm specifically interested in a local, Newfoundland and LAbrador Club, if one exists. This forum is a wealth of info, but I feel a local club can be invaluable for local based issues....

Thanks all! One of the many things I have learned so far...A true way to make the winter feel like forever is to put a Solstice in your garage!

The67LEAFS - Go Leafs Go!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,527 Posts
Welcome, yes, it makes for a long winter when the Sol is holed up un the garage.

If you are planning on holding on to the car for a while, I see no reason not to mod it. Just keep in mind that most people return the cars to stock in order to sell them later.

Until you've had a chance to drive it a bit, don't do anything to it. You need to learn it a bit and a bit about it before you get a feel for what you want to do to it.

I've had mine for almost 7 1/2 years and it's still mostly stock.

As far as Canadian clubs, there is a pretty good group in the Ontario area, not so much anywhere else.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Welcome Leafs! Got a chuckle out of the "looking at it in the garage" take. Really wanted to cover ours so I could do more "messy work" in the attached garage 'cause it heats up faster than the pole building. Wife said "but I won't be able to look at it."

I said "That might be easier for you, wouldn't it?"

I'm with you on the "stock" aspect also. We've done some things to "pretty it up" and bought a hi-flow cat (while we were waiting for the warranty part to arrive) but other than that, our 07 N/A is stock. I, too, am now intrigued by the supercharger...

As for the value, I don't think much of anything will stop the depreciation of the vehicle. As Dave said above, drive it and learn it and if you want to go from there, I'd recommend you do what YOU want with the vehicle and enjoy it. If that means you add a supercharger and then want to sell next year, I'll buy the S/C from you at a deep discount! lol

·
Super Moderator
16,533 Posts
If it were me, I would consider doing some mods while its winter

The DDM Pro beam is a must. It greatly improves handling.

Even if you never decide to mod the engine, a good high flow cat and catback is a nice acoustic and power addition. If you go to a SC later, you will get even more performance out of the mods

Check the center console and the cup holders. Many of the center consoles are cracked from the rear going forward. If yours is, you can address that now. I had Joe of JPM Coach works cover mine in leather with custom embroidery. I also braced it from underneath so it will not fail.

Your front cup holder is probably sticky and not working well. I pulled mine out and used a Dremal tool to clearance the bottom side of the folding parts, lubricated it and it works better than when new. There are pics and description on my punisher thread.

The rear cup holder has been known to benefit from cleaning and light lubrication

Check the top for sealing and motion. The 06 cars had plastic ball ends on the side rods that were replaced with metal ones because many failed

Check the hinge points above the windows. These benefit from light lubrication to assure proper movement.

Enjoy the car, they are a ton of fun

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Welcome fellow Canuck!!! When I got my Sol one of my first road trips was from Toronto to Halifax and back. On this journey I saw a Sol in Quebec City and drove side by side with one just outside of Moncton. On the the return journey I saw one on the 401. My point is they are scarce up here!!!

Apart from the GM tonneau I did not do too many Mods until I went to the 2010 Nationals Meet in Canton, Ohio. When I was there I got to get up close and see everything that everyone had done....let the modding begin!!!!

You are on the "Rock" ( a stunning / awesome place to live). I know how scarce Sols are there. When I was in St Johns in 2011 I did not see one!!! I would suggest you keep an eye out for the meets that we have in Ontario and do a road trip and drive across our beautiful Eastern Part of our country and join us. This way you could see all the Mods that everyone has done. Make a wish list of what you want to do and then see them up close and personnel! Follow SSOOO ( Solstice Sky Owners of Ontario) here and you will see what is happening. Our biggest get together is the yearly Niagara Run in August.:thumbs: Also, keep and eye out for our Quebec Brothers. When they do a run / get together it is always tres bein!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,397 Posts

As far as Canadian clubs, there is a pretty good group in the Ontario area, not so much anywhere else.
Say what ? We have a pretty good thing going on in Western Canada.

Welcome aboard Leafs. Check out my garage for modding ideas. There are a few here from the eastern seaboard, and I'm pretty sure you'll get noticed, once you start driving it.

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
Congratulations, welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome, LEAFs! the kappa experience is to be enjoyed, and when the Canadian weather gets warm, stay out in the sun with the top down as much as you can!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
congrats / welcome aboard

saved all my pieces parts .....well except for exhaust .. if i croak or lose my mind - it could always be put back stock......
ENJOY IT !..... there's better ways if you were looking for an investment ..:lol:.....for me ITS VALUE ..... is the smiles & fun..

congrats

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
I feel your pain, I have two cars in storage (2006 NA, manual, conv, & 2009 NA, manual, coupe). Hope to get them back on the road by the first week in April. I live in Michigan and will have to wait for a good rain (salt on roads) before I put them on the road. As far as mods., I some on the 2006,(CAI, header, cat-back exhaust, hi-flow cat, and tuned.) The 2009 coupe I plan on keeping it stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts