Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Over the winter I bought a white GXP from Texas. I live in Michigan, so naturally I waited for this past weekend to take it out for the first time since shipping it here. Wow this thing is fun! I wanted to introduce myself as it seems like this is a very active community, and you guys have many helpful tips and tricks.

I'm also wondering if anyone on here can make a good recommendation for a GMPP clone tune that comes with HP Tuners.

Here's a photo of her from the weekend.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Congrats, beautiful car. Check into the Michigan Kappa Club, they coordinate events regularly during the driving season with most events taking place in the greater Detroit suburbs areas. FWIW, Trifecta seems to be the most popular aftermarket tune.

http://michigankappaclub.ning.com/

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
That's a beautiful car - great find! I know you will have a blast with that car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome, ChopTop is right, I belong to the MKC, and we usually have one event a month starting in April. Just getting back from Florida today, just saw one Solstice while I was there. Will probably take both of mine out of storage next month.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Shame on you for forcing that beautiful Texan to become a yankee.

Looks nice. be sure and take good care of her.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely be registering with MKC. glad to hear we have an active community here in Michigan! I'm going through all the forums right now and taking notes on the recommended matinence for these cars. I'm glad I did before I took it to the dealer for some initial service, because I went to three different dealers before I found one who knew the proper procedure for lifting the car... #palmface. I did however forget to have them flush and change the coolant, I'll be doing that this weekend. Keeping an eye on the temps it's seems to be hovering around 198-202.. Seems high? Any opinions, maybe it will settle down after I change the coolant. It has 42k miles incase anyone was wondering. No tune that I can tell (checked cruise, comp mode and esc off mode, and no change in boost. Always at 15 and peak 17). I'm checking the charge tubes and changing the clamps to t clamps.

Also I will be purchasing Lisencing with HP Tuners and flashing with a GMPP clone (adding the 3bar sensor). This way I can make minor changes as needed with my local tuner SPEEDIndustry.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
The main problem w/a coolant flush is air bubbles (the overflow tank is higher than the engine), here's a good vid that explains it. I took mine to LaFontaine Cadillac in Highland, MI. No lift is needed because they suck out the antifreeze and then powefill it. However, my coolant light came on before I pulled out of their driveway, they claimed it was due to air bubbles in their antifreeze tank. They said their is an impeller in the antifreeze tank and they felt it was causing air bubbles to form within the antifreeze. Overflow tank was topped off, and its been fine ever since.

Temp sounds close to normal, but I'll let the experts chime in.

If the car has a GM tune you should have a blue sensor on the driver side air charge tube, a premium gas only sticker on the gas door, and your boost gauge should peg above 18psi, and when a GMPP tune is installed its should be listed in your vehicle history report that any GM dealer has access too.

BTW, check the vendor section out if you want to spend additional money improving the performance and handling of your new toy. :devil:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I had the coolant changed and now the temps are a steady 194-199. They also reprogrammed the BCM to address a traction controll sensor issue. Made no noticible change to drivability.

Also, I ordered the Trifecta LNF budget tune from BNR. I received the cable Friday, and now I'm just waiting on the tune file. Does anyone know how long it might take to get this? The weather today is so nice. I'm just itching to try that tune!

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I got mine from BNR in 2 Days. Met Jerry and he is talked for me in 20mins.
I think normal lead time is approx 1 week tho
The difference is unbelievable
GL

Cheers??

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
It does use slightly more but my car is a weekender only so not a big deal
I've only added 1100 miles since taking ownership 15 months ago

1 - 20 of 20 Posts