Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2008 Solstice with only 30,000 miles! It rides like a dream. However, I need a bit of guidance. The remote doesn't work and neither does the tire pressure indicator. Took it the Pontiac dealer and said they would have to replace the module for $2,000. But I read somewhere that if you leave the Solstice without a battery connection for a while, the sensor looses connectivity with remote and tire pressure. Is there another remedy for this? Not paying 2K for repairs.

·
Super Moderator
7,537 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think the module has to be replaced.

There is a TSB somewhere that covers the remote receiver, that also handles the tire pressure monitoring, losing its program and needing to be reflashed. I will look for it, but you may be able to find it yourself or someone else may post information about it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Greetings! I am also a new-ish owner, of a lovely Ming Blue 2006 Solstice. Wow. You got a real low-mileage car. I hope it runs good with such little driving.
Anyways
When I researched why the supplied remote didn't work, I learned that it was an attempt at an after-market device, which failed to set-up, despite following all instructions. My research said that the Solstice, in particular, cannot be reprogrammed without going thru the dealer. Anyways I am curious if you find a way to get this remedied, sans dealer / service costs etc. Otherwise, I have never even noticed a tire-pressure indicator. Yikes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I "believe" the TPS (tire pressure monitor) was not available until 2008. My 2007 does not have it so your 2006 would not have it either.

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Super Moderator
7,537 Posts
Greetings! I am also a new-ish owner, of a lovely Ming Blue 2006 Solstice. Wow. You got a real low-mileage car. I hope it runs good with such little driving.
Anyways
When I researched why the supplied remote didn't work, I learned that it was an attempt at an after-market device, which failed to set-up, despite following all instructions. My research said that the Solstice, in particular, cannot be reprogrammed without going thru the dealer. Anyways I am curious if you find a way to get this remedied, sans dealer / service costs etc. Otherwise, I have never even noticed a tire-pressure indicator. Yikes.
Mike is correct that your 2006 will not have the TPMS. If it did, you would see the two tire pressure pages as you scroll through the DIC.

Remotes do require a Tech2 or comparable diagnostic tool to program. Dealers, many independent mechanics, and some people have them. (I do.) Dorman does sell a limited-use remote programmer that many have had good success with, but others have not gotten to work. It is also possible, of course, that there is something wrong with your remote.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just bought my 2008 Solstice with only 30,000 miles! It rides like a dream. However, I need a bit of guidance. The remote doesn't work and neither does the tire pressure indicator. Took it the Pontiac dealer and said they would have to replace the module for $2,000. But I read somewhere that if you leave the Solstice without a battery connection for a while, the sensor looses connectivity with remote and tire pressure. Is there another remedy for this? Not paying 2K for repairs.
This is a quirk with some 2008's. I had to have the programming update and I used that as an opportunity to get new key fobs as they had to be programmed anyway. Cost me $45 for the update at a dealer.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I had the same situation with my '08 shortly after I bought it. After having to jump start it due to a weak battery, nothing worked, locks. trunk release, TPMS. I took it to a local garage where the owner was originally a mechanic at a Pontiac dealership. He had the right equipment and knowledge to correct everything and sold me a battery as well. I don't remember the charge but it wasn't too bad. I actually trust this guy! We grew up in the same small town, attended the same school and have mutual friends. My Solstice was the first one he had done any work on and he checked it out pretty well.

Reactions: easyryderca

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the TSB, I also posted it on your other message:
I had the same situation with my '08 shortly after I bought it. After having to jump start it due to a weak battery, nothing worked, locks. trunk release, TPMS. I took it to a local garage where the owner was originally a mechanic at a Pontiac dealership. He had the right equipment and knowledge to correct everything and sold me a battery as well. I don't remember the charge but it wasn't too bad. I actually trust this guy! We grew up in the same small town, attended the same school and have mutual friends. My Solstice was the first one he had done any work on and he checked it out pretty well.
Thank you very much

1 - 11 of 11 Posts