Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my '07 GXP in for an oil change today @ a local Chevy dealership and they had an orange Camaro SS Convertible there. A salesman saw me looking at it while I was waiting for them to finish up w/my car and asked me if I was interested. I told him that I was waiting for my car to get out of the bay and just passing time. He asked what I had in the shop & I told him my Solstice.
We made small talk & then he disappeared back into the show room. A few minutes later her emerged and asked me if I was interested in trading in my Sol for the Camaro. He said the owner (of the dealership) has been looking for a pristine one for awhile now (mine only has 5,900 on it). He said "The Boss" is willing to give me $17k for it. It was "kinda" tempting, but I balked on it. Just love my Sol too-too much!!! Guess I'm kinda obsessed!!!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
The only car that would tempt me would be if the Challenger came out with a ragtop.
But even then I would probably have to figure out how to have both.

Sent from my GT-P1000R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
All of the new "pony cars" are two darn heavy. The Mustang is the lightweight of the bunch at 3620 lbs. The Camaro comes in at 3860. And the Challenger is just down right pig heavy at 4257.

I have a heck of time getting my mind around these numbers. For comparison, their 1970 counterparts were:
Mustang 3122, Camaro 3172, and Challenger 3118.

That being said: I do like the looks of all the new versions. And I agree, they need to build a Convertible Challenger. But meanwhile, you could always go this route: SEMA Preview: 560-hp Challenger Convertible that Dodge won't build

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
All of the new "pony cars" are two darn heavy. The Mustang is the lightweight of the bunch at 3620 lbs. The Camaro comes in at 3860. And the Challenger is just down right pig heavy at 4257.
I get the same question when I go back to the dealership for warranty work. I respond that when they get around to making another sports car, they might interest me, but why on earth would anyone consider trading a sports car for a two ton fat assed barge?

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
That being said: I do like the looks of all the new versions. And I agree, they need to build a Convertible Challenger. But meanwhile, you could always go this route: SEMA Preview: 560-hp Challenger Convertible that Dodge won't build
I've seen many of the Challenger after market conversions because I have an obsession with the car.
What very few people know is that the Brampton plant actually made three ragtops right on the production line by just slowing it way down. They are still stored there less than a half hour from were I'm sitting.
The crying shame is the bottom fell out if the automotive world before they brought it out. Financially they still haven't been able to justify bringing it into current production. There other shame is it's not a reworked standard Challenger braced up to make a ragtop, like the Stang. This is a ground up ragtop built properly.
That was my dream retirement car, but I'm ecstatic about finding my Redline!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Barracuda

At a car show last year a guy had a new Challenger which had been modified to be a 'Cuda convertible.
Forgot who produced the extensive conversion but they did a pretty good job.
Still, the rear, especially the decklid looks kinda plain compared to our kappas
and it probably still weighs in at close to 2 tons.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
If I remember correctly Coachworks did a bright green Cuda ragtop conversion. Drop Top Custom did a blue Challenger ragtop. There are more custom ones out there because there is interest, but I guess not enough for full blown production. :-(

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
If I remember correctly Coachworks did a bright green Cuda ragtop conversion. Drop Top Custom did a blue Challenger ragtop. There are more custom ones out there because there is interest, but I guess not enough for full blown production. :-(

Actually, from what I have read the Challenger will be dropped from the lineup next year for the Barracuda. Challenger is too big, not efficient enough, and (imho) too expensive.

·
Registered
991 Posts
"Clydesdale" comes to mind, they do look good, but they are too heavy.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Have you ever heard this one? I've been hit with it 3 times over my many years.

Oh, I really want your car! I have a good customer whose daughter lost her husband in a car wreck last year. He had a black 1964 Comet convertible just like yours and she wants another one. I've been on the lookout for one and I can really give you a good deal on a new car.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Your account will be deleted if you don't email me your password :jester:!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Actually, from what I have read the Challenger will be dropped from the lineup next year for the Barracuda. Challenger is too big, not efficient enough, and (imho) too expensive.
That is bewildering because wasn't the difference between them mainly just trim?
One being Dodge, the other Plymouth.
I agree with the too expensive, but not compared to the Stang!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
That is bewildering because wasn't the difference between them mainly just trim?
One being Dodge, the other Plymouth.
I agree with the too expensive, but not compared to the Stang!

The Barracuda existed before the Challenger. It only shared bodies during 70-74. I have heard that they are going to use an Alfa Romeo body for a Barracuda. Just rumor mill at this point. I believe I saw it in Motor Trend.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
The Barracuda existed before the Challenger. It only shared bodies during 70-74. I have heard that they are going to use an Alfa Romeo body for a Barracuda. Just rumor mill at this point. I believe I saw it in Motor Trend.
Good point I actually forgot about my 69 Barracuda fastback and the Chrysler/Fiat/Alfa connection. That might be interesting, they have to do better than a Sebring ragtop that's for sure!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I get the same question when I go back to the dealership for warranty work. I respond that when they get around to making another sports car, they might interest me, but why on earth would anyone consider trading a sports car for a two ton fat assed barge?
Agree. Let's see what the nextgen camaro looks like. It is supposed to be much smaller. If they make an SS convertible it could be tempting. But by then you could pick up a somewhat low mileage Solstice or a Sky for $7K and slap an LS-7 into it. I like that idea a lot.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have both.

And for the weight, It's not the manufacturer's fault. It all comes down to government regulation in crash testing and modern day comforts. Did the old 70's muscle have 6 air bags? NOPE. Would they pass current regulations for crash testing? Most likely not. Did they have back up cameras, Heads Up Display, 20" rims, on star, gps...etc... All this adds to the weight of the car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have both.

And for the weight, It's not the manufacturer's fault. It all comes down to government regulation in crash testing and modern day comforts. Did the old 70's muscle have 6 air bags? NOPE. Would they pass current regulations for crash testing? Most likely not. Did they have back up cameras, Heads Up Display, 20" rims, on star, gps...etc... All this adds to the weight of the car.
I can not wait till i'm in the position to have two fun cars :lol:. Hopefully by the time i turn 25 i can have two toys :devil:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts