Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found the vendor in Ireland that developed an air bag emulator for the passenger seat weight sensor. Mine failed when I got the car out this summer and i really hated to pay $400.00 for a new sensor that will probably just fail again. The emulator was decently priced at $79.00 and made it to Ohio from Ireland in about a week. Now to hook it up and get the SRS computer reset to get rid of the Air Bag Service light. Passenger Airbag Seat Mat Occupancy Classification Sensor emulators & bypass .

Glasses Vision care Wood Bicycle handlebar Eyewear

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,683 Posts
Ummm... we have found that thing doesn't work on 100% of the kappas. They use a different SDM module for the vehicles shipped to other countries and that is the SDM module it is designed to work with.

You might get lucky who knows. Let us know the outcome.

Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,374 Posts
I’ve never heard of anyone having success with this product. Hope you have better luck with it.
I am one of the verified unsuccessful stories.
I donated it last year in hopes of reverse engineering.
Vendor never replied when I mentioned the problem. He and or she are probably trading on the fact that most people won’t go nutty over taking an $80 hit and being in another country allows for a modicum of protection as well.
I hope he chokes on a potato while being kicked in the wallet by a drunken leprechaun.

but hey? Maybe you are the lucky one. Keep us posted…

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,683 Posts
I hope he chokes on a potato while being kicked in the wallet by a drunken leprechaun.

That literally made me laugh out loud, almost to the point of tears. I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Thanks for that. After the crap both you and I have been through recently (more you then me), that statement was awesome!

·
Premium Member
18,091 Posts
This subject comes up routinely every few months.

The sensor is under recall and can be replaced for free with a guarantee of 12 months of proper operation.

When this first happened, I bought two spares from a European vendor for about half what they cost here and they are still on the shelf.

Disabling a mandated safety feature on a production vehicle brings with it interesting liability issues. A failed sensor that is a result of a design defect and an injured passenger is one thing. Taking action to disable your said safety feature then opens the door for your insurance company to deny any claims for bodily injury to a passenger. They were injured due to your actions, not as a result of a failure.

In fact, if your system fails and you KNOW about it and take no action, then the insurance can easily make a claim of negligence on your part and deny any claim for passenger injuries in the event of a crash.

It’s clearly your decision but paying $400 bucks to keep your passengers reasonably safe does not seem like a huge sacrifice. Especially when weighed against the result of an injured or dead passenger due to your need to save $400.

·
Administrator
10,980 Posts
If it worked, the Airbag360 seat sensor emulator would not disable the system, it would keep it armed all of the time. So it would protect a full-size passenger, but would also put a child or infant at risk.

Liability is a big deterrent to providing an alternate solution to this failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts