Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from a local dealer who only wants a $3500 premium. ;) There seem to be quite a few of these popping up now. I want one badly, but I don't make enough and even if I did I can't see paying that much over MSRP. I think what really gets me is that they act like they're doing you a big favor. Arrggg. :brentil:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Editguy said:
from a local dealer who only wants a $3500 premium. ;) There seem to be quite a few of these popping up now. I want one badly, but I don't make enough and even if I did I can't see paying that much over MSRP. I think what really gets me is that they act like they're doing you a big favor. Arrggg. :brentil:
It takes a good saleman to get you to think you are getting a DEAL with a price of $3500 over MSRP. :brentil:

·
Registered
944 Posts
I am sooo over the frenzy. I told the dealer that quoted me 5k over that I found another dealer and he was surprised. He said I should take the car(of course they don't have any in right now :( )

I asked him why he was so surprised. He was trying to sell me a sol for 31, I asked him why the first 22 on the waiting list didn't buy it?

I hope everyone decides to pay what the car is worth!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
silversolstice said:
I hope everyone decides to pay what the car is worth!
Fortunately, my finances won't allow me to do anything else! :lol:

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was at the dealer, not mine, Saturday looking at the Solstice on the floor. Slimy salesmen claimed all their pre-orders were for MSRP+4000. He was actually bragging that they sold one for 33,000. This was the same dealer that I visited first a few months ago, claiming the buyer backed out on the deal. Same story for this car. I smell a rat. I told them what I paid at the dealer down the street, they looked shocked and I walked out of that place never to return. :brentil:

·
5,600 Posts
I could not possibly pay over MSRP. Like yesterday, I remember the frenzy over the 1st Miatas. I remember the frenzy over the PT cruiser. I remember back in the very very early 1980s (like 1979) when everyone in California wanted to own a Honda Accord and there was a long waiting list to own any Honda of any model or color, and people were paying well over MSRP just to be on a stupid waiting list.

And in every single instance, the early Honda's, the Miata and the PT Cruiser, it was only a matter of time before supply caught up with demand. Never more than a year before you could get any of these cars at or below MSRP.

I have way too much wisdom and experience to pay over MSRP when I know, like the early Hondas, the Miata and the PT Cruiser, in a year or so I will be paying below MSRP. I guess I just have a lot of patience.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Fformula88 said:
It takes a good saleman to get you to think you are getting a DEAL with a price of $3500 over MSRP. :brentil:
:agree: ... or a buyer with DEEP pockets! ;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Editguy said:
That's an offer you CAN and SHOULD refuse. Around here we call it extortion. :brentil:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fortyninenorth said:
That's an offer you CAN and SHOULD refuse. Around here we call it extortion. :brentil:
:glol: And I did refuse it! I couldn't do it even if I waanted to, and I don't want to. I'm adult enough to know that as much as I want one, if I never get a Solstice life will go on. At least that's what I keep telling myself...

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Editguy said:
:glol: And I did refuse it! I couldn't do it even if I waanted to, and I don't want to. I'm adult enough to know that as much as I want one, if I never get a Solstice life will go on. At least that's what I keep telling myself...
You mean there is life without Solstice? :lol: What you could have done is printed off the list of "bad" dealers from the web and traded him the assurance you would not add him to the list for under MSRP (unless he is already on the list)

Patience will equalize supply and demand and who knows, in 18 months they may be back to rebates (think GTO)

·
Registered
91 Posts
What I'm most interested to see is how the Saturn Sky gets priced. Saturn's whole business has been based on one no-haggle price. Will dealers be able to mark that up?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
achieftain said:
Patience will equalize supply and demand and who knows, in 18 months they may be back to rebates (think GTO)
-GTO's still do not have rebates. The reason they rebated the heck out of the 04's is because everyone knew that the LS2 was coming. I know because I was one of the ones that waited :lol:

Charging more than the MSRP is a sign of desperation from a dealership. I personally know that our GM rep who comes into our store almost daily says that about 25% of the country is charging more than MSRP. So keep looking and you will find a dealership that is on the up and up.

Our customers have it easy. We do not even make them make a down payment. We figure that if the customer backs out then we will have no problem selling it to someone else.

Just hang in there and look to other dealers. I would suggest going to a major city, if you are already not in one, that has many Pontiac dealerships. The internal competition should greatly benefit you

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Soiltron said:
What I'm most interested to see is how the Saturn Sky gets priced. Saturn's whole business has been based on one no-haggle price. Will dealers be able to mark that up?

Technically Pontiac dealers are not supposed to mark them up. They were strongly advised against gouging prices. I am sure that the sky will be handled similarly

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Soiltron said:
They are continuing to stand by that moto. It is even on the calenader that they are mailing out. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
achieftain said:
You mean there is life without Solstice? :lol: What you could have done is printed off the list of "bad" dealers from the web and traded him the assurance you would not add him to the list for under MSRP (unless he is already on the list)

Unfortunately, my circumstances won't allow me to wait 18 month's. I have to have it by June of '06 or I will have to buy something else. :(

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Editguy said:
Unfortunately, my circumstances won't allow me to wait 18 month's. I have to have it by June of '06 or I will have to buy something else. :(
:agree: I hope that the Sky is out by June 06, because I sold my truck before I mobilized. If they struggle with deliveries too, then I guess it will be an 03 3.0 Z4 for me (not a bad fall back car). :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
:agree: I hope that the Sky is out by June 06, because I sold my truck before I mobilized. If they struggle with deliveries too, then I guess it will be an 03 3.0 Z4 for me (not a bad fall back car). :thumbs:
Recently bought an '01 330Ci with 55k miles on it. It is a blast to drive, lots of power and has a trunk! Not a roadster, but then roadsters don't have the same appeal at this time of year as they did six months ago.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
dealernut said:
Technically Pontiac dealers are not supposed to mark them up. They were strongly advised against gouging prices. I am sure that the sky will be handled similarly
Technically only on the first 1000 was the strong advisement against gouging. Trouble with free-market society is that somewhere there will be someone who will pay what they ask.

And my point about rebates was presisely that at one point in time they DID have rebates on the GTO as well as the SSR. It's like the deal when the new T-bird came out, every dealer had a side sticker with the sdded profit spelled out. Which brings up a good point - if in PA the dealer does not put a side sticker on the car I wonder if he can legally charge more than MSRP. That's a question for a PA dealer to answer. I know that if they add mudgauards or pinstripes to a car on the lot the info has to go on the window.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts