Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
New to the forum. I have always loved the Solstice/Sky when I drove one at a dealership years ago. Well I found and purchased a mint 2006 with 18,000 miles red Solstice last week and looking for stereo upgrade ideas?

·
Super Moderator
7,653 Posts
Hey All,
New to the forum. I have always loved the Solstice/Sky when I drove one at a dealership years ago. Well I found and purchased a mint 2006 with 18,000 miles red Solstice last week and looking for stereo upgrade ideas?
Welcome to the forum.

There have been a lot of audio upgrade discussions here, and a little searching will find you a lot of details.

To check whether you have the Monsoon amplified audio system, look on the inside of your glovebox door for the RPO code list. UQ3 is the code for Monsoon and will indicate that you have a separate amplifier and a subwoofer.

The general consensus has been that the amplifier and speakers are pretty decent, and the biggest single improvement is the headunit, but your level of fanaticism will determine how far you actually go with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What are you looking for in the new head unit? The installed unit is a double DIN.
Do you want to stay double DIN or go single DIN. Single can open an area under the unit for more storage of small items.
Do you want your unit to be controllable from you phone? What phone do you have?
Do you want a touch screen?
Do you want to add a backup camera?
Do you want to be able to play CD's/DVD's or not?
Do you want satellite (Sirius/XM) compatibility? (Add on required.)
Do you want to keep your steering wheel controls? (This, along with On Star, requires add-ons to accomplish.)
Once you decide on all this, and possibly more if you can think of other things you want, I would get online with crutchfield.com and chat with one of their reps.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Dedgar is right. Crutchfield has everything you need and great solstice specific instructions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, love the color. You’re in for some fun times driving her. I just recently did a stereo upgrade to my 2008 NA, and am super happy with the results. Alpine ILX-W650 system and the CarPlay support is incredible. Sounds great streaming iTunes or Amazon music as well. Got most of the system from crutchfield with a couple of accessories from amazon (bypass switch and usb cigarette lighter port to coo etc iPhone for carplay)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
One thing that you may have to take into consideration is how far away you live from your favorite radio station. Different manufacturers radios will receive better than others. And some of the same manufacturers radios will differ also.
If you live in a city and your station isn't far away, then most any unit will work.
I have the opposite. I live out in the 'boonies' of middle TN. My favorite stations tower is around 80 miles away and I have hills surrounding me that shadow the signals somewhat. I need a unit with real good FM signal sensitivity.
If you live out in the countryside you may want to check out the FM signal sensitivity of any unit you are considering.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
One thing I would add. The shorty antennas look great but the shorter the antenna, The worse the signal to noise ratio. You can go shorter than the OEM antenna but about 23" is as short as you can go without significant signal loss. For long trips, I use my OE antenna.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac Solstice
23 Posts
I agree with dedgar that the features that are important to you somewhat determine the recommendation. I just did this upgrade, and you can read my recap in post 2210504. I installed a Boss BN965BLC and am very happy with it. Besides better sound, the features important to me were navigation and a backup camera. I don't use CarPlay or Android Auto, so this unit fit my needs perfectly. But the suggestion to just go to Crutchfield is a good one. You can see all the options there that fit with exactly what you want. I'm also very pleased with the Kenwood speakers that I put in the doors, but it's good advice to change your head unit first and see if you still need to swap speakers. No matter what, I probably wouldn't bother changing the tweeters in the A-pillars or the small speakers behind the seats if they are still working.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Since others are posting their radio, I just bought a Sony DSX-B700. It hasn't been shipped yet. I was going to wait a bit but couldn't pass on the price I got.
I went with the Sony due to its ability to receive weaker FM signals. Remember that I live out in the 'boonies' of mid TN. Every radio station is not close to me and I'm shadowed by the local hills.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts