Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently some progress is being made SOMEWHERE....all of you other dealer types, I just signed up for the MY2006 Ride & Drive....GTO, GXP's, Torrent, and, oh yeah, this little Solstice...I'll be at Detoit on Tues. 26 Jul. Other cities include:

Pittsburgh, Cincy, Milwuakee, Villa Park (Chicago,) Minneapolis, Cleveland, Denver, Seattle, Buffalo, Boston, Alamade (SanFran/Oaktown?) Philly, Dallas, Houston, LA, Somerset NJ, DC, Atlanta, New Orleans (wish I could go to that one instead....) Charlotte NC, Indy, Mesa AZ, KC, St. Louis, Ft. Worth, Orlando, Nashville, and Miami--in October.

Listed in order of tour stop, Pitts. is first on 7/18, looks like 2 or 3 days at each location, limited to 150 seats. You get training credits...yipee :willy:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Can we sign up?

Is it just for dealers or can we sign up? And how would we do that? Orlando would be closest for me. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I believe this is dealer only, conejo148 and Small Dealer have made mention of this before. Because Orlando is also the closest to me, and I'd love to go drive the car.

As a Forum Moderator you'd think they'de make some conscessions for us. We could go as "press" and do a review of it. hmmm what a nice dream...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Looking good

I can borrow either a press pass or a dealers badge! I found that most of the large events you can walk right by most of the people there if you just look like you know what you are doing. If a dealer can reserve a spot I will talk to him and try to go. :willy: :cool:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brian carpenter said:
Is it just for dealers or can we sign up? And how would we do that? Orlando would be closest for me. :cool:
You'd have to stoop to the level of a salesperson for a day. :devil: You might be able to get local salesperosn to let you pose as them. There is a test at the end of the day.

As I understand it, you get a 1 hour tech talk, a 15 minute drive, break, and then move onto another vehicle. The big plus is that you do the tech part hands on. A virtual "tear-down" of the vehicle, w/o actually removing anything.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GTOJ said:
It is only dealers. I haven't received any info on the Ride and Drive but I guess it goes around the country.
Check your GM Training web-site. The dates/times are listed, available to sign up w/ Mgr. approval.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I'd gladly volunteer my talents at my local dealer for that chance. Even "stooping low" as they say. :lol:

·
Registered
177 Posts
conejo148 said:
Apparently some progress is being made SOMEWHERE....all of you other dealer types, I just signed up for the MY2006 Ride & Drive....GTO, GXP's, Torrent, and, oh yeah, this little Solstice...I'll be at Detoit on Tues. 26 Jul. Other cities include:

Pittsburgh, Cincy, Milwuakee, Villa Park (Chicago,) Minneapolis, Cleveland, Denver, Seattle, Buffalo, Boston, Alamade (SanFran/Oaktown?) Philly, Dallas, Houston, LA, Somerset NJ, DC, Atlanta, New Orleans (wish I could go to that one instead....) Charlotte NC, Indy, Mesa AZ, KC, St. Louis, Ft. Worth, Orlando, Nashville, and Miami--in October.

Listed in order of tour stop, Pitts. is first on 7/18, looks like 2 or 3 days at each location, limited to 150 seats. You get training credits...yipee :willy:
It's looking like a fall delivery for all if dealers are getting a July preview

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GNS said:
It's looking like a fall delivery for all if dealers are getting a July preview
Not necessarily. In the past there have always been a "Summer Tour" for the upcoming year. It's scheduled so that there is good weather, and they can hit major population bases. Delivery time-frame really has no bearing on the schedule, since there will also be other models such as the Grand Prix GXP, the G6 coupe, and the Torrent, which is a glossed over Equinox, but w/ a few minor changes....mostly badge engineering, but a few minor differences.

·
Registered
753 Posts
from what phase of production will the test soltices be taken. i'm hoping that our solstices won't be sitting in a parking lot until this marketing training tour is complete.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cdb said:
from what phase of production will the test soltices be taken. i'm hoping that our solstices won't be sitting in a parking lot until this marketing training tour is complete.
Prolly the ones that have been spotted on the hiways & biways. The class is limited to 150 students, so figure an all day affair, split into 3 or 4 groups, these cars will almost undoubtedly be long term test mules. Any thoughts some of you more seasoned sellers?

This will be my first ride & drive, but everybody else that I work with has been to one, and all of the experiences are the same. Show up, fo a "walkaround," drive the car as hard as it can be driven w/ an engineer on board for a co-pilot, and take some tests. I'm sure it wil be more exciting than I just made it out to be, though ;)

·
5,641 Posts
I would guess there could be as many as 8-12 cars per event. Might even be two seperate sets of them to cover the country, I didn't look an the schedule and dates to closely.

Last year at the G6 ride and drive there was 8 cars for the drive and another 6 on display. Went in groups of 4 for a ride around the area where the meeting was held. Switched off drivers every 5 minutes or so.

Some years it has been an on track thing with helmets and professional driving instructors/racers in the passenger seat.

I know all the old Fiero people will get a kick out of this. This years Solstice/Torrent event in our area is in the same location that Pontiac held the 1983 announcment meeting for the Fiero. Since every one wanted to drive them, nobody bothered to figure out how to properly release the hand brake, so by 11:00 AM all the cars were broken and undriveable :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Small Dealer said:
I know all the old Fiero people will get a kick out of this. This years Solstice/Torrent event in our area is in the same location that Pontiac held the 1983 announcment meeting for the Fiero. Since every one wanted to drive them, nobody bothered to figure out how to properly release the hand brake, so by 11:00 AM all the cars were broken and undriveable :lol:
:glol: Funny story! Didn't the GM people there on hand even know? You'd think they would have been briefed on how to operate them!

·
5,641 Posts
Fformula88 said:
:glol: Funny story! Didn't the GM people there on hand even know? You'd think they would have been briefed on how to operate them!

Remember these were salespeople :willy: and in the decades before we became professionals. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Small Dealer said:
Remember these were salespeople :willy: and in the decades before we became professionals. ;)
I don't even know if you could technically call them salespeople, other than from the fact that's what it said on the business cards.

I think "whore" comes to mind after talking to some of the old-timers. I'm sure some of you baby-boomers that bought something up thru the mid 90's remember going in and finding out that the keys were lost or the clutch was burned out on your possible trade. Anything for a sale back then.

No offense intended to anybody by the use of the above term, just the best and only way to describe my predecessors.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Can I get the Date for my city?

How do I obtain the date for the Mesa, Az. event? I would love to go and sit in the car.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fak429 said:
How do I obtain the date for the Mesa, Az. event? I would love to go and sit in the car.

9/1 & 9/2 Phoenix Event Mesa Convention Center. Unless you are a dealer person, I doubt you can partake in anything, but you might be able to schmooze a photo op.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
:glol: Yeah, I forgot they were"salespeople" for a moment!

So what do you think they will do to the convertable top of these cars if they couldn't operate a parking brake? :eek: :glol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fformula88 said:
:glol: Yeah, I forgot they were"salespeople" for a moment!

So what do you think they will do to the convertable top of these cars if they couldn't operate a parking brake? :eek: :glol:
Hmmm....I'm thinking I may take a BFH, an Exacto knife, maybe a box-cutter, wait, that may get me stopped at the gate...and some of that new Press & Seal stuff from Glad, and of course, duct tape. :smash:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts