Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting at work and received a phone call from a co-worker, there is a Solstice in the parking lot :willy: . I went out and looked at it, unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me. I am planning to try to find out who is driving it so I can hopefully get to try it out or at least get a ride in it.
It is not carrying a "M" Plate but it is identified in the windshield as a "Engineering Test Vehicle". I did see some early issues still exist.
There are definitaly some panel mismatches in the front clip between the upper front fender and lower front fender...the gap between them is very inconsistant. The convertible top still has the wrinkles in it and I can stick my fingers underneath the top alog alot of the rear edge where it meets the trunk.

This car is as GREAT in real life as it is in the pictures that I have seen.

If I get to ride or sit in the vehicle, I will follow up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
We are pretty desparate, aren't we? I guess we just have trouble waiting...a US Society thing....we want everything Yesterday!

BTW, I don't think the "sail" or "buttress" panels are supposed to "seal" to the trunk lid. But I would think they should be tight.

I think the wrinkles will be a standard feature! But, I will gladly take mine w/o them.

RadRiv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Roadster1 said:
I was sitting at work and received a phone call from a co-worker, there is a Solstice in the parking lot :willy: . I went out and looked at it, unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me. I am planning to try to find out who is driving it so I can hopefully get to try it out or at least get a ride in it.
It is not carrying a "M" Plate but it is identified in the windshield as a "Engineering Test Vehicle". I did see some early issues still exist.
There are definitaly some panel mismatches in the front clip between the upper front fender and lower front fender...the gap between them is very inconsistant. The convertible top still has the wrinkles in it and I can stick my fingers underneath the top alog alot of the rear edge where it meets the trunk.

This car is as GREAT in real life as it is in the pictures that I have seen.

If I get to ride or sit in the vehicle, I will follow up.

What part of the country are you located? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Wrinkles in the top? Why?

:brentil: Why should we expect to have wrinkles in our soft tops? This is General Motors, not some back yard hack trying to build his first car! They have the resources to build a nice car and nice cars to not have tops that look like their were sewn by a boy scout working on a merit badge. While you all say to remember the price point of $20K, remember that Twenty Thousand Dollars is still a lot of money, and we should be getting our money's worth. Besides, most of us will be paying more like $25K by the time you add the packages, tax and license fees. All that for wrinkles in the top? You have to be kidding.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
It could be possible that the supplier for the tops is working on getting the waves/wrinkles out too. It could be just a slight change in how they cut the material, or sew it together.

On the other hand, GM may need a little slack in the material around the buttresses too, since they do pivot inwards when released from the trunk lid. You wouldn't want it to be so tight that it tears in a year from the stress.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
AZJuez said:
All that for wrinkles in the top? You have to be kidding.
When you hear about these test cars floating around with the fit issues remember.....

It's a TEST car not the final version.

I'd have to assume they are working on the issues as we speak and probably won't be there when you get yours.

Remember this top is more complicated than a normal 'vert top....it's new and every new process has wrinkles that need to be ironed out (pardon the pun).
 

·
Founding Member
Joined
·
5,849 Posts
mceb, this is the first time I've heard you raise your voice... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
RADRIV said:
We are pretty desparate, aren't we? I guess we just have trouble waiting...a US Society thing....we want everything Yesterday!

BTW, I don't think the "sail" or "buttress" panels are supposed to "seal" to the trunk lid. But I would think they should be tight.

I think the wrinkles will be a standard feature! But, I will gladly take mine w/o them.

RadRiv
RadRiv,

I think we want the buttress panels to not fit tightly against the top of the rear deck. If they do, they will damage the painted surface as they vibrate in the wind.
I am hoping that the post that retains the aft end of the butress holds it up of the surface just enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the owner

After the first message, I found the person who is driving the car.
He put the top down...boy does it look SWEET!!!
In my earlier post I was not saying that there are problems to get responses on that, I was just so excited to actually see one in person that isn't moving at 100mph. The interior is awesome, overall fit and finish was very good. It was the Red color which looked really nice.

To answer the question of leolaw, I am in Troy, Michigan...not far from the GM Tech Center.

I spent a good half hour or more talking with the GM employee that was driving it. I wont give the number so I cant get anybody in trouble but the gentleman said this was one of a certain number under 50 saleable units. Unfortunately saleable will not be to the general public.
I did have him start it up for me, but I didn't get to test drive it. It didn't sound as throaty as I heard that it would but then again he didn't exactly race it across the parking lot either.

I was a little surprised how small this car is....I thought that I read that it is just a bit smaller than a Corvette. It appeared to be Miata size.

As far as the wrinkles in the Top....there is some velcro along that rear edge, I'm not sure why...but I think that the wrinkles might be able to be worked out by unfastening the velcro and re-fastening. The velcro runs vertically along that back edge and you are able to undo it.(I tried)

The 2 gentleman that were driving both were 6 footers....they said that they fit fine but when they try to turn the steering wheel...thier hands hit their knees.

If anyone has any specific questions, I may be able to answer them based on today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Roadster1 said:
The 2 gentleman that were driving both were 6 footers....they said that they fit fine but when they try to turn the steering wheel...thier hands hit their knees.
Yikes! I'm 6'1" ...I'm hoping this steering wheel/knee thing is not a big deal... I had a similar problem when I looked at a Miata a few years back, and it turned me off the car. Was it just tight, or did the guy see it as an actual problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Velcro

The velcro must be around something...pull it back further and re-velcro is what it looked like. I really didn't get a chance to see what it is velcro'd around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
The 2 gentleman that were driving both were 6 footers....they said that they fit fine but when they try to turn the steering wheel...thier hands hit their knees.

Do you know what position the tilt wheel and seat position was for him?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
6 Footers

Danno said:
Yikes! I'm 6'1" ...I'm hoping this steering wheel/knee thing is not a big deal... I had a similar problem when I looked at a Miata a few years back, and it turned me off the car. Was it just tight, or did the guy see it as an actual problem?

I don't know if the steering wheel was all the way up (tilt) but it was really a big problem for the second person that got in. His hands hit about 2 inches below his knee...he tried to move the seat back but it had nowhere else to go.

I would definately try before I buy!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Roadster1 said:
I don't know if the steering wheel was all the way up (tilt) but it was really a big problem for the second person that got in. His hands hit about 2 inches below his knee...he tried to move the seat back but it had nowhere else to go.

I would definately try before I buy!!!
Dang... but thanks for the feedback.

Well, that seals it. The legs have to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Danno said:
Dang... but thanks for the feedback.

Well, that seals it. The legs have to go.
You could always pull an Anikan Sywalker/Darth Vader

"I'ts just a flesh wound"

:lol:

I am 6'2 so I have the same worries...oh well, if I don't like it I am sure I will have no trouble unloading it...

(fingers crossed) :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
What color was the interior? If it was the steel/sand what are your opinions of it and did the steel color have a bluish look?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
solli4me said:
mceb, this is the first time I've heard you raise your voice... :lol:
And rightly so. We beg for advance information about the Solstice, then when we get it we treat it as final, rather than as preliminary. No wonder GM is being tight lipped about the Solstice. They can't afford to diseminate preliminary information because it gets ripped to shreds in the press. (And chat forums. :lol: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
spyderone said:
What color was the interior? If it was the steel/sand what are your opinions of it and did the steel color have a bluish look?
It was mentioned that the car was the red color, which is currently not available with the steel/sand interior, at least for production. I would be really surprised if they built one of the test cars with that combo.
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Top