Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a "referesher" stick-shift course with my wife. (she used to have a Porshe 911 and a Mazda pick-up, both with shifts) She picked it right back up no problem with the Solstice. (I may never get it back) I was just curious as to how many forum members here are women and if you think that number will go up when the automatics start becoming available. I hope this wasn't a sexist question, it wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My wife no longer drives a standard because of a problem with her hip. And I haven't had a standard to teach either of my daughters how to drive one. Plus they are not learning on my 330Ci. So while we are 0 for 3 with ladies and standards in our household, there is an explanation for all three.

I hadn't driven a standard since '97, and picked it back up during the test drive of the 330Ci. If your wife had a 911, she should be able to drive anything. Switching between an auto and standard can be a pain, but I am going to let my wife drive me in "her" Volvo, while I drive her in my 330. ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
1 female in the house that hadn't driven a stick in 10 years. It all came back right away with no problem. Just got a motorcycle license last year and had to adapt to that---so it probably helped with the stick in the car. Seems a lot easier than it was 10 years ago and I think I would much rather drive this car with a stick than an automatic. Females out there that are hesitant---go for it!

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
Love a manual-hate automatics, although in my work horse, the auto makes sense, it's just no 'fun' to drive. Been driving sticks since I first learned a billion and two years ago!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've got an automatic for all the hills with stop lights and stop and go traffic on the way to work, and an 5 speed for the weekends.

My trip to work involves going up about 4 STEEP hills with stop lights at the top of them. Its bumper to bumper the whole way to work. So I wind up sitting at the bottom of the hill go a few inches, then roll back, then go a few inches, then roll back, this basically goes on for about 20-30 minutes. Absolute HELL, constantly rolling back and inching up, clutch in clutch out, go almost no where (inches) and repeat all the way to work.

Stop and go traffic on the freeway is no fun, but no where near as lame as sitting on hills n bumper to bumper.

I take my Del Sol 5 speed out only on the weekends and the Lexus auto to work.

My girl has only driven 5 speeds, Jetta, Ranger, Del Sol (2) and Grandpa's Porsche for her HS prom.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I have a stick and an automatic, wife has a stick, both daugthers have sticks.

I bought the auto because I was commuting 31 miles (45 minutes to one and a half hours) every day into DC. My current drive to work is 11 miles, takes 15 minutes and the only time I have stop and go traffic is if it snows. Sol won't be out in the snow, the auto w 4 wheel drive will be :)

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I love a stick as does my wife. All three of my daughters learned to drive a stick and two of them prefer astick over an automatic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I learned on a stick and I prefer it to an automatic, except in bumper to bumper traffic of course. Although I live in Florida, so hills aren't exactly an issue for me. :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The last manual transmission I drove on a regular basis was my 1979 Triumph Spitfire. Gave it up in early 1982 when the first (of three) children came along. Now ... waiting on the last one to leave! :)

Surprisingly, "going manual" WAS just like getting on a bike again. I loved it then, and I love it now!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I've only driven automatics so far. The Solstice will be my first stick. I haven't had any practical driving experience with a stick, just some amateur lessons from my ex-husband and practice around the high school parking lot and suburban streets. When my Solstice gets delivered, I will be jumping in with both feet (pun intended.) :lol:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My wife picked it up easily, We had a stick back in 1980 on a Toyota, I told her to just drive it like you did 25 years ago. We went for a ride today, and on the way home she asked to drive. The 1145 is alot of fun for both of us.

I still prefer automatics on our regular cars, But for a Fun Car, the stick is the way to go. Mitch :cool:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think one reason sticks today are easier to drive is one, most use a Hydraulic clutch, they seem to engage smoother than the old type mechanical or cable clutches... but that is just my opinion. plus the horsepower and torque of the new 4 cylinder cars makes it so much easier, you can lug one of the new ones down and still be able to acellerate out of it while the old days you would either kill the engine or have to downshift more .... I have noticed this on my son's Ion.

·
Registered
369 Posts
When my wife ordered her solstice, the salesman said if she waits they will be comming out with a automatic soon. She told him a sports car is not a sports car with an automatic. He just shut up and placed the order.

·
Registered
819 Posts
hersolstice said:
When my wife ordered her solstice, the salesman said if she waits they will be comming out with a automatic soon. She told him a sports car is not a sports car with an automatic. He just shut up and placed the order.
I knew there was a reason I liked your wife, and I don't even know either of you, yet! ;)

My daughter is beginning to think the same way. Her mother tried to learn how once, but we gave that up to save on rather heated discussions between us. She will just have to survive as the passenger in the Sol. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hubby is the one with the automatics...a 00 vette and an 05 tahoe....I drive a 00 camaro SS 6-speed manual shift.... can't wait to get the call to pick up my solstice... :willy:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a '71 240Z which I sold in '78. So, not having driven a stick in 27 years, I passed on the opportunity to drive one in downtown Detroit at the party. My husband had to drive my Solstice home from the dealership. That night we went to a shopping center after closing and practiced. I couldn't believe it came back so quickly! The next time I took it out by myself. The only time I got nervous was on a hill with somebody on my bumper, but even that doesn't bother me now. Just like riding a bike ...

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
crawdadsolstice said:
I knew there was a reason I liked your wife, and I don't even know either of you, yet! ;)

My daughter is beginning to think the same way. Her mother tried to learn how once, but we gave that up to save on rather heated discussions between us. She will just have to survive as the passenger in the Sol. :)

Either that or she will take it out when you are not around.

I tried to teach my wife years ago and was very frustrated. Luckily my Uncle (Uncle Sam :lol: ) sent me to Germany for a couple of months, and when I returned she was driving the stick. She had practiced with only my son in his car seat. He told on her about killing it and squealing the tires, but she was proficient. Figured learning to drive a stick was better on a new car since it was under warranty.

All anybody really needs to learn is the proper incentive. The Solstice might just be what she needs to get the desire to learn. You know the drivetrain makes noises, so it won't be her fault. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
My wife (and I) wanted the manual. We were happy that only the manual was available in the beginning because my oldest can't(won't) drive the manual and my youngest does (she drives the Cabrio we got for my oldest).

It would have caused some family stress that I really didn't need if I had been able to make the choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts