Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted some long term feedback on the K&N air filters since the thread I followed was posted in 2008.

So what brand of air filters do you and your cars prefer and have a preference on? Pros and cons of them would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
Stock air filters are inexpensive and work well. K&N oiled filters have worked well for many but have caused MAF contamination issues for more than a few. I had one and replaced it with a stock filter.

In NA cars there is no performance gain that I have seen documented. In turbo cars, with a tune there are generally no performance gains to be had on the intake.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Save your money and your engine. Stay with stock. K&N filters flow a little more air, but a lot more dirt.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard from reviews that K&N filters cause damage to MAF sensors because people over-oil them. Hmmm... maybe stay away from it to be safe.

I just got overwhelmed by the fact it doesn't need to be replaced.

Quick question: does anybody do anything 'secret' to their air filters to make it last longer? Like keeping the material from wearing out as fast, (i.e. cleaning it every week, or putting a few drops of ?).

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
You do not touch the OEM air filter. It will last under normal conditions well into 10 to 12K miles.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Air filters are cheap I replace mine in my drivers once a year as for making them last a little longer just blow them out with some air when you change your oil . As a few members have stated K&N flow a bit better but the oil is the killer and most people don't service them like they recommend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts