Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an intermittent coolant leak coming from the water pump seals/gaskets, or somewhere in that area. I ordered a small bottle of K-Seal & have put about 100 leak-free miles on the 2.4 since pouring it into the coolant overfill tank. I did a couple weeks of research before buying a coolant "stop-leak" for the Solstice, knowing how touchy the Dex-Cool is & how much can go wrong with it if mixed with the wrong type of coolant or if so much as an air bubble is caught within the system. I saw the videos of the catastrophic failures & completely coagulated radiators of Dex-Cool using vehicles after owners dropped some stop-leak into their coolant reservoirs & completely wrote off the possibility of trying that method on my cars' problem...until I stumbled upon the Dex-Cool compatible "K-Seal". I pulled the trigger on the purchase after seeing that for many, many years it's gotten nothing but GREAT reviews from actual users; and positive results from those who've used it on cars with Dex-Cool.

After many trips; some long, some short; I popped the hood open and expected to have to refill some coolant as I had been the prior two weeks...but after each trip, to my relief, there is no longer any sign of coolant leak; not so much as a whiff of antifreeze can be found under the hood anymore. I can't say enough positive things about K-Seal at the moment. Saved me $700.00. Just thought I'd share the positive experience that I had using this product, seeing as how the other stop-leak brands are a definite no-no for our cars. Stupid Dex-Cool... (-_-)

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily say the product "saved" you $700.00, I think it just postponed the expense. I hope it continues to serve you well, but I'd be keeping a very close eye on your coolant level.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Any mechanic worth his weight in wrenches will tell you what CW said this is just a temporary fix sooner than later the water pump will go just a matter of time .

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I'm always worried about those coolant leak sealers... what small passages is it also blocking in the engine and radiator? Especially worrying for a turbo engine.

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
I'm always worried about those coolant leak sealers... what small passages is it also blocking in the engine and radiator? Especially worrying for a turbo engine.
Most such sealants are aerobic, and expand when they are exposed to air. So internal passages are usually safe.

I will suggest that any repair is temporary, since a failed part is being replaced by a like part that is also subject to failure. Some are just more temporary than others.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
John is talking practical sense here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts