Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been competing in Solo for two years now. I want to make sure I am in the right class and what tires I should use that wont put me in a class where I be completely boned... I have a 2.4l with CAI, cat-back, and eibach springs. Im running my stock wheels only for racing so I am willing to use any size or compound tire. I am also willing to change other parts to give me the best advantage in my class. Any help would be appreciated.

My real issue is some dick nose running a Focus ST in STF... his PAX is killing me and I cant beat him. STF is 0.795 and STR is 0.839

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im thinking dropping my tire size back to 245's and going with STX. For me the only difference is 255 in STR. My PAX would be 0.827 in STX

·
Registered
300 Posts
For SCCA Solo the Solstice is not eligible for STX.
Your 2.4L Kappa would be classed in STR.

Class progression for each:

Base Model
Stock - C
Street Touring - STR
Street Prepared - CSP
Prepared - DP

GXP
Stock - B
Street Touring - NOT ELIGIBLE
Street Prepared - ASP
Prepared - FP

For the street modified classes the car go to SSM (2 seaters).

For tire's I would look into the BFG Rival or the Hankook UHP (the name is slipping me right now)

·
Registered
391 Posts
What are you running for your camber/toe/caster numbers? I have been using -1.8 front, -1.3 rear for camber...0 toe front and rear and maxed out caster in the front. It's a fairly good compromise setup for running both on the street as a daily driver and for autocross. When I ran street tires a couple years back I really liked the Dunlop Star Specs for a good all around street / autocross tire that performed well in the rain as well. Not sure how the second generation of Direzzas are. Would definitely go with the grippiest available. Another helpful hint: Have the hottest driver in your club drive your car and ride along with him/her. I've often found that the car had way more left in it than what I was pushing...same applies with grip in your tires. Trusting the car and tires is paramount when pushing the limits of the vehicle. A hot driver will illustrate to you where you could be going faster. Another good tip is to break down the overall course into various segments in your head and to think where you could cut your time by at least .10 seconds in each leg. When you consider that a tenth of a second is only half of a blink of the eye it seems much more obtainable to reach. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts