Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on auto blog they are saying that the new Camaro will be on the kapp chassis. It also looks like they are useing the hydrofolding process. Camaro

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope it comes to life. I would not get one though but it would be nice to see next to a new charger. I just like the though of some of the older designs coming back.

·
Registered
621 Posts
g0t_w00t said:
I saw this on auto blog they are saying that the new Camaro will be on the kapp chassis. It also looks like they are useing the hydrofolding process. Camaro
The concept will probably be on Kappa, the production won't be.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Drex said:
The concept will probably be on Kappa, the production won't be.
:agree: Unless they find a way to mass produce hydroformed frames.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Camaro on a kappa frame is a rumor from long ago, and long since debunked. If there is a new Camaro, it will be on Zeta, or a modified version (such as Zeta light). Not on Kappa.

Editguy said:
:agree: Unless they find a way to mass produce hydroformed frames.
They can mass produced hydroformed frames. Each Chevy truck has one. :thumbs:

It is the hydroformed body panels that are a limiting factor. They use them on Solstice because it is cheaper than stamped steel would be (dies are cheaper). But there is no reason you couldn't use stamped steel bodies if you wanted to really mass produce a car on a kappa like chassis. It just isn't cost effective at the Solstice's sales volume, and with it's elaborate curves. (For instance, the SSR uses stamped steel, and to form the complex shapes takes numerous stamps which is one reason it costs so much.)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The Camaro on a kappa frame is a rumor from long ago, and long since debunked. If there is a new Camaro, it will be on Zeta, or a modified version (such as Zeta light). Not on Kappa.

They can mass produced hydroformed frames. Each Chevy truck has one. :thumbs:

It is the hydroformed body panels that are a limiting factor. They use them on Solstice because it is cheaper than stamped steel would be (dies are cheaper). But there is no reason you couldn't use stamped steel bodies if you wanted to really mass produce a car on a kappa like chassis. It just isn't cost effective at the Solstice's sales volume, and with it's elaborate curves. (For instance, the SSR uses stamped steel, and to form the complex shapes takes numerous stamps which is one reason it costs so much.)
That's interesting. I had wondered why the SSR was as expensive as it is, but that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Most of the rumors of Camaro rebirth have been due to the persistence of Oshawa, ON employees who had been promised that if/when the Camaro was reborn it would be produced at Oshawa. Now, however the big O is on teh chopping block list of potential plant closings. Wishful thinking has the Camaro/Firebird on a shorten rwd new Zeta, not to be confused with the current Zeta under the GTO, which will power to new GTO and also rumored new RWD Grand Prix due out in 2008.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Interesting Mceb. I wonder if that is really a version of the Aussie platform that was claimed to be kappa based and really wasn't.

Kappa, even the stretched kappa that was shown by GM in 2004 would make for an awfully small Camaro.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Fuel to the fire

I was under the impression that the Trans Am and the Camaro were both under naming restriction due to the early contract closures in Mexico. Last I heard, which was a meeting in Detroit, they were not planning to do anything. There was rumor of a Chevelle to go along with the GTO in the Zeta zone.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
dealernut said:
I was under the impression that the Trans Am and the Camaro were both under naming restriction due to the early contract closures in Mexico. Last I heard, which was a meeting in Detroit, they were not planning to do anything. There was rumor of a Chevelle to go along with the GTO in the Zeta zone.
The name restriction was due to an agreement with the Canadian government that they would only build Firebirds/Camaros at the St Therese, Quebec plant through a certain year. I believe that agreement expires in 2007 (or right around then). After that, they can use the name on a car built anywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts