Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Good find, mceb. The following is not directed at you...

:rant

Now, this is just silly. Remember this list?

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343&p=3059

Is motor trend THAT hard up for stories that they have to start making them up? Maybe we should rename them "national Motor-enquirer" instead. and "Popular Rumor" instead of popular science.

That's like the "tidbits" you see at other forums spinning off on speculation (chevy is getting a Kappa! The Sunfire is getting replaced by a Kappa! My sources tell me the nomad is undergoing "rigorous testing" at the Milford Proving Ground! Daewoo is getting a Kappa!).

Fur crissakes! Solstice isn't even available yet and now nearly every nameplate has been rumored to have one.

When is the Holden coming? I'm sure it's not behind. Here, let me write the article now...

"Future Vehicles Spied
...Factor Two is GM's new Kappa platform, a small, rear-drive architecture designed for the Pontiac Solstice roadster, which also underpins the Vauxhall Lightning, Chevrolet Nomad, and Saturn Curve concepts. That platform would be perfect for new Holden roadster or 2+2 convertible.

Of course, two seats are too limiting for "down under", so Holden has plans to stretch the wheelbase and add two more seats, similar to the Nomad concept. And a four-cylinder is not nearly enough powertrain for the Aussies, so Holden engineers will be stuffing a V-6 under the hood. The best part is AWD, to keep up with increasing demands on back Austrialian roads.

Thanks to the new deposits of unobtainium found in the Austrailian outback, this new Holden 2+2 convertible is expected be about twice as stiff, and half the weight of it's older US cousin, the Solstice. That will give this new Aussie rocket the power-to-weight ratio of better than the new Corvette Z06.

We're told that they should be ready for production by 2007..."

and so on.

Always be aware of magazine articles (but this is perfectly acceptable for forum entries) that say "we're told", or "unofficial sources say". Those sources could be a guy named Jack (Daniels), or absinthe, or the freakin' janitor. Or worse yet, someone from marketing...

:rant

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
Fur crissakes! Solstice isn't even available yet and now nearly every nameplate has been rumored to have one.

When is the Holden coming? I'm sure it's not behind. Here, let me write the article now...
I'm still trying to start a rumor about a GMC sport truck convertable based on the Nomad Kappa! Work with me people!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I agree with you Solsticeman, these rumors seem to be getting out of hand. Plus most of them are predicting roadsters, a Daewoo roadster prediction, a Alfa, I have even seen a Caddy kappa roadster prediction in one of those rags. They act like every division in GM is falling over themselves to get in on the act.

Maybe there is some demand, but it sounds like all these rumors may be closer to "marketing leaks" by GM purposely thrown out there to try and keep the Kappa platform, and especially references to the Pontiac Solstice out in the press. Its still going to be a while before they get Solstice to showrooms and they need to keep the buzz going. What better way to do it than to spread a new Kappa rumor every other month so all the magazines report on such and such a roadster may be built sharing the Pontiac Solstice platform!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The Kappa platform would work perfectly with the Alpha spyder. I got to see these neat little Alfa's on the street when I was in poland and there pretty darn cool looking. Those and the Fiat coupe and barchetta. God I love that fiat coupe.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I wonder how much whining would happen from the Alfa loyalists iover using an American platform for a new Alfa roadster! The Saab loyalists are beside themselves over the Subaru WRX platform being rebadged for Saab.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Holy Kappa, this sounds like a lot of kappa eh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts