Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been noticing a LOT more water pump posting lately. Understand it could be related to wear & tear since Kappa's aren't getting any newer. However, it seems like WP replacement postings/threads has been a common theme even when Kappas were in production.

Also, anyone have any idea what the going $ rate is for WP replacement if performed at a GM service center?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Up to $1400+ I've seen.. as low as $700.. Of course much cheaper for DIY, but you need the tools, time, and to do it right so it don't whine afterwards..

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm worried about mine! no leaking when in use but when I woke up the sol in spring there was a small puddle underneath, I thought for sure I would have to replace it this summer but it's been good, no leaks and levels have maintained. we'll see what happens next spring.here's hopeing for a recall, but not holding my breath!

Bert

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Everything that goes wrong with a car isn't a recall.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
The going rate is 5.5 hours and around $200 for the part.

boboborino, have your fluid flushed immediately! We have discussed this issue in-depth in another thread and a GM engineer has concured that the coolant starts to gum with age, creating small leaks between bearings and seals. The "gummyness" only goes away when it gets excessively hot. In order to have a fighting chance of it not going bad is to have a coolant flush and change about every 20k or year. My WP was replaced was done in May, I will flush mine again in May. I'm not taking any chances.

Furthermore, the first and second generation pumps were 3 seperate pieces (or so it appeared) all pressed together. These seams/seals are what leaked on mine. The latest generation pump is one piece that has been formed rather then pressed, so no points to leak other then the bearings.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Everything that goes wrong with a car isn't a recall.
You are correct, but the WP repair has been excessive compared to other vehicles. It usually happens right around the 4 - 5 year mark or 30-48k miles... If you haven't had your coolant flushed. If your not there yet, you'll see what we're all complaining about. It's probably about an 80% failure rate on them. It's not a matter of if for Kappas, it's when. I have asked other guys that have the LNF (Cobalt SS and HHR SS) and hardly any WP failures.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The going rate is 5.5 hours and around $200 for the part.

boboborino, have your fluid flushed immediately! We have discussed this issue in-depth in another thread and a GM engineer has concured that the coolant starts to gum with age, creating small leaks between bearings and seals. The "gummyness" only goes away when it gets excessively hot. In order to have a fighting chance of it not going bad is to have a coolant flush and change about every 20k or year. My WP was replaced was done in May, I will flush mine again in May. I'm not taking any chances.

Furthermore, the first and second generation pumps were 3 seperate pieces (or so it appeared) all pressed together. These seams/seals are what leaked on mine. The latest generation pump is one piece that has been formed rather then pressed, so no points to leak other then the bearings.
My Solstice currently has a little over 27,100 miles on it and as the owner's manual says that the coolant should remain in your vehicle for 5 years or 150,000 miles I assume that the previous owners/dealers have not in fact flushed or done anything with it, would you recommend I do the whole coolant flushing to better ensure my WP's safety? Also, (not that I have been very carefully observing my garage's floor) I do not seem to have found any leaks or drips on my floor. So maybe my WP is fine (for now) and I have no rear diff leaks or any other problems that have those drip symptoms? (So my Solstice is fine currently, relatively speaking?) Also my coolant will maintain a temperature of roughly 210ish degrees sometimes, is that normal for Texas heat, or should I get my coolant replaced and use a higher coolant-water ratio than 50/50? And can I flush my coolant myself or would I need a professional to do it? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Meh, I'm not telling you to run out and get your coolant flushed. What I'm saying is that several engineers have consulted with members here and all are in agreeance that the coolant used in our cars, gums up with age, leading to premature seal and bearing failure. If your car is 5 years old, I would consider having it flushed. Now, look at the other LNF's that are out there in other models. They don't have WP failure like the Sky and Solstice do. Is it because ours don't get enough air flow to keep them cool? Is it because ours are mounted differently? Maybe.... Is it because of the heat from the turbo sitting just above it? Possibly... But nobody is 100% certain what causes them to fail at a greater rate on our cars rather then the other LNFs. My coolant will be done every year from this point forward. Is it overkill? Probably, but I can spend $159/year rather then $800 all at once! Here's some reading on the discussion we had this spring: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/what-technically-causes-waterpumps-fail-74909/

·
Registered
572 Posts
Meh, I'm not telling you to run out and get your coolant flushed. What I'm saying is that several engineers have consulted with members here and all are in agreeance that the coolant used in our cars, gums up with age, leading to premature seal and bearing failure. If your car is 5 years old, I would consider having it flushed. Now, look at the other LNF's that are out there in other models. They don't have WP failure like the Sky and Solstice do. Is it because ours don't get enough air flow to keep them cool? Is it because ours are mounted differently? Maybe.... Is it because of the heat from the turbo sitting just above it? Possibly... But nobody is 100% certain what causes them to fail at a greater rate on our cars rather then the other LNFs. My coolant will be done every year from this point forward. Is it overkill? Probably, but I can spend $159/year rather then $800 all at once! Here's some reading on the discussion we had this spring: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/what-technically-causes-waterpumps-fail-74909/
Okay, I think I will end up getting it flushed soon. And hehe, i forgot that my car was over 5 years old :p Keep living in 08' ^^

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Meh, that last line in my last post is a link....just run the cursor over the "What technically causes a waterpump to fail".... There's about 6 pages.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Meh, that last line in my last post is a link....just run the cursor over the "What technically causes a waterpump to fail".... There's about 6 pages.
Hehe I know about links mate, but thanks for the advice for new comers. But I read the first few posts and got the jest of it, I just hope my mini vette can survive the next few years until I get my Vette vette :cool:

·
Registered
991 Posts
My GM (ex Pontiac) mechanic felt the 5 year recommendation was too long.

I also wonder about the stock front licence plate placement cutting down on airflow and causing the engine to run hotter.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting. I'm fixin to do the thermostat in my 06 and was going to do a coolant flush anyway but I wonder if I should go ahead and flush the 08. I only have 34k but it is 5 years old. also, is there an additive we can use that might prolong the life? what about a water wetter? good or no?

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
After having my fuel pump fail (one in the front) I have been wondering about the water pump. I was fortunate enough to still have GM extended warranty coverage when the fuel pump failed. It was 100% covered less the $100 deductible. Warranty is now expired.:devil: I have been meticulous with dealer / GM maintenance. At 25,000 miles ( a few months ago ) they did the coolant flush. Am now at 29,000 miles and no drips or leaks on the ground.

Hopefully she holds?:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting. I'm fixin to do the thermostat in my 06 and was going to do a coolant flush anyway but I wonder if I should go ahead and flush the 08. I only have 34k but it is 5 years old. also, is there an additive we can use that might prolong the life? what about a water wetter? good or no?
Watter wetter, no. Flushing, yes.

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The reason I asked about a recall is due to apprehension. Every time another WP thread is posted its a reminder that it may happen regardless of maintenance. I'm just hoping that when it happens to mine it replaced with an improved WP design.

As far as a recall goes it's doubtful it will happen. Only two ways recalls happen;
1. Voluntarily.
2. Mandated by the NHSTA (initiated by customer reports/complaints).

So considering Kappa's were a niche vehicle with relatively low-production numbers I doubt many owners have contacted the NHSTA, and I don't see GM seeing it in their financial interest in addressing the issue voluntarily.

Regardless, I don't think the primary issue is one of a possible defective design as much as its about simply wanting our vehicles to run as flawlessly as possible with the understand that owners are performing their part by following the maintenance schedule.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Update: I'm now a member of the water pump club, at 45k miles. The car is at the dealer, and it's going to cost "right at $800". I like driving my Sky, but I'm very disappointed with the reliability (or lack thereof). I've owned many cars and have put over 100k on several, but this is the first time I've ever had to replace a water pump.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.