Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New style Kappasphere that will work with an XM radio antenna and a rear wing. I took this off of my Solstice but believe it will also fit a Saturn Sky. It has had minimal use and is still in good condition. The chrome still shines and does not look bad aesthetically when I have it mounted. I am asking $150 OBO with buyer paying for shipping. I live in Atlanta(zip code 30324). Please let me know if you've got any questions.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I had a commitment to purchase...hurricane intervention

Well, I had it bought and hurricane Irma got in the middle of us meeting in Savannah on the 10th. I understood Pat had a local buyer chomping to pay a bonus to get it. Nothing heard since except DDM cancelled my back order for a hardware kit. I got the email this afternoon.

Talked with Amy and rack production is totally cancelled as ramping up production would not be cost effective for seller or buyer. Meanwhile I have a perfect rack and no hardware to mount it. I was buying Pat's just to get the mounting hardware. What will come of any of this, who knows? Consequently anyone with a complete rack they want to sell should communicate with me. Mine is real close to becoming an art object.

Richard Snipes

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
So I'm wondering is the hardware specific to the luggage rack ? My point being if a member has a complete one he could send specs and pics of the pieces you need and then go from there . I gotta believe that that stuff is off the self pieces and if you have something specific maybe you can substitute something in it's place that will work .I know here where I live we have some old fashion hardware stores and I've found some pretty interesting stuff that I was able to use in place of missing pieces and hardware . How about it fellow members can we help one of our own out ?

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
DDM Kappasphere luggage rack instructions gone too

Just checked and it appears all information on the luggage rack has been taken down. The assembly information showed the components, listed sizes of bolts, etc and quantities. The proprietary pieces would be the end pieces that clip to the trunk fore and aft, the rubber strip that lays on the trunk lid and the stanchions the rack attaches to. I've no idea where you'd find that stuff. Not the local hardware store for sure, even an old time real hardware store.

I saved the instructions some time ago and have attached the pdf for your abuse. Shame to see another quality product die.

Richard Snipes

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the rack takes away from the look and purpose of the car. I have a 2008 GXP. It rekindles the feel I use to get from my Triumphs of years gone by. They "Triumph" offered luggage racks for their cars as well. The only one who put them on where those obsessed with having all the options available. Of course they never got any real use from the rack. Same goes for the Solstice owners. The car is not ment for carrying luggage. Just a fun driving, not over powered enjoyable machine for people who enjoy simplicity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New style Kappasphere that will work with an XM radio antenna and a rear wing. I took this off of my Solstice but believe it will also fit a Saturn Sky. It has had minimal use and is still in good condition. The chrome still shines and does not look bad aesthetically when I have it mounted. I am asking $150 OBO with buyer paying for shipping. I live in Atlanta(zip code 30324). Please let me know if you've got any questions.
do you still have this available?

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
FWIW...I have the rack on my 2007 GXP and have used it for traveling without issue. Also have the full set of Kappasphere luggage and a waterproof carry bag wherein all the luggage fits and will mount securely on the rack,with ratchet ties. I still have the single rack mentioned in an earlier posting, without the hardware kit, waiting for someone who has trashed a rack but has a complete mounting kit to get in touch for either my lonely rack, or to sell me their lonely mounting kit!

Hint: if you place 3M protective film on the trunk lid before the mounting kit, the paint will not be damaged by the attaching pieces.

An aside: My GT Manufaktur trunk lifter will keep the trunk safely open with the rack empty but won't open it like a power trunk as it does with the rack completely off the lid. Thanks to the Sky and Solstice forums I figured out how to mount the lifter. It was too simple and I was over thinking the installation. I have no clue if the stock torsion bars will do that or not as they never worked to my satisfaction. The hydraulic lifter does.

While I like the look of the OEM rack between the nacelles, and would buy one in a minute if available , I cannot see using it for anything but looks. The small size pretty much means you are going to scratch the paint with luggage overhang.

Too bad were are deep into the mostly no longer supported anything for these cars. If you find something, buy it, if you can...even if you don't think you need it now.

That said, somebody sell me one of those 2010 Opel GT "Big Mirrors" for the passenger side you bought when they surfaced and the driver side was vapor. Obviously I have a driver's side mirror. :rolleyes:

Richard Snipes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts